old movies

im kinda start to watching old movies,american mostly..
ill see citizen kane soon..i watched some in the past,like gone woith the wind,casablanca,Lawrence of Arabia ,chinatown,Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf,A Clockwork Orange

do u have any to recoment?
like 1940-1980 era i guess mostly..not later ones
thanks
"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Roman Holiday (Hepburn and Peck) was sweet, light.

Summertime (with the other Hepburn), beautiful...almost has a scent to it.

Gentlemen's Agreement (Peck again), makes you think.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Billy Wilder's movies, Some Like it Hot and Sunset Boulevard. Double Indemnity.

The Third Man, Best Years of Our Lives.

Preston Sturges moves - Sullivan's Travels, Miracle of Morgan's Creek.

Hitchcock movies - Shadow of a Doubt is a great one. Notorious.

My favorite David Lean film (although I love Lawrence of Arabia) is Bridge on the River Kwai.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    edited January 2016
    some classics and hidden gems:

Parallax View
    Don't Look Now
    Scarecrow - Underrated Pacino and Hackman movie.
    Anatomy of a Murder - Lee Remick was an underrated Hollywood beauty.
    Days of Wine and Roses - See above.
    The Night of the Hunter
    You Can't Take It With You
    All About Eve - Just saw this on Netflix recently. Had no idea Marilyn was in it.
    Kiss Me Stupid - Underrated Billy Wilder movie with Dino and "Mr. Hand."
    Lifeboat - The only Hitchcock movie made for 20th Century Fox.
    Charade
    The Defiant Ones
    The Graduate
    The Last Detail
    A Shot In The Dark
    The Chase - Robert Redford in a rare villain role with Jane Fonda and Marlon Brando.
    Kitten With A Whip - Not a classic but a great MST3K episode with Ann Margaret in her smoking hot prime
    Catch 22
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Godfather I & II (a must if you have not already watched them).

Martin Scorcese movies: Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Mean Streets, King of Comedy.

Serpico. Dog Day Afternoon. And Justice For All.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Breakfast At Tiffany's.

ELITIST FUK
  • I want to watch Citizen Kane.
    And the old Marlon Brando films.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    SD48277 said:

Godfather I & II (a must if you have not already watched them).

Martin Scorcese movies: Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Mean Streets, King of Comedy.

Serpico. Dog Day Afternoon. And Justice For All.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Breakfast At Tiffany's.

Oh, what old movie-watching times we could have :)

I'd also add a couple of old Peter Sellers films - World of Henry Orient and Being There.
    SD48277 said:

Dog Day Afternoon. And Justice For All.

Arthur Kirkland, the best movie lawyer not named Atticus Finch and DDA is my favorite 70s movie of all time as well.

On the subject of 70s, I have to add Harold and Maude, Last Detail and Shampoo all from the same director.
    Oh I just love H & M. Also one of the best soundtracks out there.
    Love Scarecrow, InHiding. Shame on me for missing the Godfather movies.

And World of Henry Orient is genius.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Gah! How could I forget Harold and Maude...it is one of my favorite movies. :facepalm:
    ELITIST FUK
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,653
    Dr. Strangelove

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world

The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

The Sting

Marathon Man

The French Connection

The Deer Hunter

Little Big Man

The Producers

Blazing Saddles

The Odd Couple

2001: A Space Odyssey

Slap Shot

Young Frankenstein

American Graffiti

The Boys From Brazil

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Apocalypse Now

MASH

The Dirty Dozen

Chinatown

Breaking Away

Mister Roberts

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• If you're looking for something strange, unique, or abstract, then I'd recommend Eraserhead.
    Westworld is a good action movie, and The Good The Bad and the Ugly is a favourite in our family (sphagetti westerns baby!). A little long that last one, but an awesome film for sure! Sensational music too
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    Deliverance.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    As far as Eastwood movies go, I really dig The Eiger Sanction. It was his last movie for Universal until Changeling. He did a lot for them before doing a majority for Warner.
  • i ve seens alot so far of the ones recomented and alot not..ill maker a list :)
    thank u guys
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited January 2016
    Anything from the "New Hollywood" era is fantastic. My fave is The Deer Hunter. Others have been mentioned aleady too... Like the Graduate.

I really enjoy the funny movies too. The Doris Day and Rock Hudson movies - aah! - I recommend Lover Come Back from these, it's hilarious!
    They live I'm not a fan of modern horror movies, and this is really not a horror movie, but a fantastic one.
    The Trial by Orson Welles is also pretty good, made after the novel Der Prozess by Kafka.
    12 Angry Men
    Johnny got his gun

Oh, and The Party with Peter Sellers :smiley:

Mmmh. I gotta think more.

Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Anything from the "New Hollywood" era is fantastic. My fave is The Deer Hunter. Others have been mentioned aleady too... Like the Graduate.

I really enjoy the funny movies too. The Doris Day and Rock Hudson movies - aah! - I recommend Lover Come Back from these, it's hilarious!
    They live I'm not a fan of modern horror movies, and this is really not a horror movie, but a fantastic one.
    The Trial by Orson Welles is also pretty good, made after the novel Der Prozess by Kafka.
    12 Angry Men
    Johnny got his gun

my favo is Apocalypse now
    deep hunter is epic good and amzing acting

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,664
    Too lazy to read through everyone's lists but I do agree on a lot of the suggestions.
    Here are a few more and I apologize for duplicating previous lists....

The Usual Suspects
    The Train
    Out Of The Past
    His Girl Friday
    On the Waterfront
    Vertigo
    Bridge On The River Kwai
    Some Like It Hot
    Streetcar Named Desire
    High Noon
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Maltese Falcon

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,098
    ''The third man'' and the ''Lost horizon''..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    With Six You Get Eggroll :)
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Excellent suggestions so far. Seems a little light on Jimmy Stewart, though....

Harvey
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    The Philadelphia Story (Stewart with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn!)

Love the classics. :plus_one:
    How about some Bill Forsyth? Gregory's Girl, Local Hero, and Comfort and Joy.

And Funny Bones, a weird, but very funny movie directed and written by Peter Chelsom. (Jerry Lewis is in it, but don't let that scare you.)
  • Did anybody suggest Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?
    Oh man, I LOVED that film! And their home.

Anything from the "New Hollywood" era is fantastic. My fave is The Deer Hunter. Others have been mentioned aleady too... Like the Graduate.

12 Angry Men
    Johnny got his gun

They Live is a horror movie in how prophetic it's become. Same for Idiocracy and The Dead Zone.
    edited January 2016
    If you want a good old school horror movie, I recommend The Legend of Hell House.

As for 80s horror, The Sender is underrated psychological horror with Zeljo Ivanek in his film debut in the leading role.

My favorite hidden gem of the 80s is Something Wild. Easily Melanie Griffith's best performance and a great psychotic breakthrough for Ray Liotta.
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
    Speaking of Melanie, Body Double was a suspenseful watch.
    hedonist said:

Speaking of Melanie, Body Double was a suspenseful watch.

I saw that on The Movie Channel years ago. I freaking love that twist ending. It's my 2nd favorite DePalma movie behind Untouchables.

Working Girl is good but hoooooooooooly sheit is it ever dated! That is an extreme late 80s time capsule especially with that high volume hairstyle of Griffith and Joan Cusack at the beginning. Kevin Spacey steals that movie in a supporting role.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Enkidu has excellent taste, especially since it corresponds to my own. :wink:
    Enkidu said:

Billy Wilder's movies, Some Like it Hot and Sunset Boulevard. Double Indemnity.

One of my favorite directors. He also wrote many screenplays, often uncredited. I would add Stalag 17 (WWII POW drama; William Holden is terrific in an unlikeable role) and Ace in the Hole (Kirk Douglas as a cynical newspaper reporter who's willing to exploit a crisis to further his career).
    Enkidu said:

The Third Man.

One of my all time favorite movies, and the music is great too!
    Enkidu said:

Hitchcock movies - Shadow of a Doubt is a great one. Notorious.

Shadow of a Doubt was Hitchcock's favorite of the movies he directed. Notorious is great. I'd also suggest The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, and North by Northwest (it features a cropduster :giggle:).

I'm a big fan of film noir; Out of the Past is one of the best. Also, The Big Sleep, Kiss of Death, Gaslight, Key Largo, Night of the Hunter, and Laura.

Also suggest The Razor's Edge, the early version with Tyrone Power and Anne Baxter.

And it's a little out of your time range but there's a great Nic Cage movie that nobody seems to have seen called Red Rock West. I'll just say that it's got more than the usual share of plot twists.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,098

12 Angry Men
    Johnny got his gun

They Live is a horror movie in how prophetic it's become. Same for Idiocracy and The Dead Zone.
    ''They live'' is NOT a horror movie..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..