Christmas decorations

suppose you really don't want to undecorate because everythng looks so twinkly and cozy.....what is the maximum time limit before the neighbors start thinking you're crazy/lazy/both/other?
January 15? Valentine's day? other?

thanks

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Ours are down the first weekend after New Years.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Easter would be pushing it lol I say max Valentine's day...mine go down no later than the Sunday before going back to work.
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I had a friend who left them up until May one year. :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • They're meant to be taken down on the 6th Jan in Ireland but we find it hard to let go :tongue: Will probably take them down this weekend I guess
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • ldent42 said:
    Love QI :) Stephen mentions central heating, that's why the tree is usually on its last legs by 6th Jan!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,780
    This weekend they all come down.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I can't find all my boxes is all.
    nor do i fully know kno where ti .
    send me these cubular going about things
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I lived by these people who left their tree up all year. I think they stopped plugging it in around memorial day. Started up again around Halloween.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,626
    Interesting question, Rollins!
    rollings said:

suppose you really don't want to undecorate because everythng looks so twinkly and cozy.....what is the maximum time limit before the neighbors start thinking you're crazy/lazy/both/other?
    January 15? Valentine's day? other?

Haha! I laugh at myself here. Mrs. Lux loves Christmas and I'm generally a little bit of grinch-like. But this year we had to thin a few crowded trees in the yard and so we cut down and stuck this gangly little thing with twisted branches going this way and that into the stand and put ornaments and lights on it, I thought, "Whoa, that's cool!" After the first of January, Mrs. Lux said it's time to take the tree down. Mr. Little-Bit-Grinch-like-me said, "No! It looks cool, lets leave it up a few more days!" which we did.

But, alas, I arose my lazy ass out of bed at 9:30 this AM and all the lights and ornaments were boxed up and that pathetic little tree stood bare. That was kinda sad but, yeah, it time to move on. :bee:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,672
    We usually do it the 1st weekend in the new year
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Little Christmas, the tree will be down tonight
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    12:01 am, 12/26.
    www.myspace.com
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    I hear some people do a Christmas ficus. Keep it lit year round.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    :whistle:
    ELITIST FUK
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    my tree doesn't come out of it's box until Christmas Eve. This year it was even worse because while I put it up Christmas Eve, it didn't get decorated until Christmas Day (I was making a point!) soooo I probably won't take it down until next week. I hate that thing. It's extra ridiculous this year. Looks like the damn leaning tower of pisa.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,893
    just took mine down. :clap:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    put them down the day after christmas and use the decorations for a bit of abuse around the house as well
    JWPearl said:

put them down the day after christmas and use the decorations for a bit of abuse around the house as well

you abuse your decorations? How do you do that?
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    hang them around the house and throw object at it like lacky bands and pens and see if they break
    ldent42 said:

my tree doesn't come out of it's box until Christmas Eve. This year it was even worse because while I put it up Christmas Eve, it didn't get decorated until Christmas Day (I was making a point!) soooo I probably won't take it down until next week. I hate that thing. It's extra ridiculous this year. Looks like the damn leaning tower of pisa.

Trees do not come in boxes.
    www.myspace.com
    JWPearl said:

hang them around the house and throw object at it like lacky bands and pens and see if they break

Your house sounds intriguing
    www.myspace.com
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    JWPearl said:

OPA!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157

12:01 am, 12/26.

funny stuff
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    i enjoy throwing the christmas tree on the floor 29 days into december

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    tree down. was sad to see it go
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!

my dear boyfriend strung up lights this year out back along the clothesline. the neighbors love it and I gotta admit, it looks very nice while walking through the alley.

also, ya know how you keep some spare sets of lights that only half work? welp, the pile of them were heaped onto a hook on the back porch and lit up as well. that lit pile has affectionately been named the "ball of shit".

the ball of shit actually looks nice too! :lol: (anybody interested in a pic) ....causegod knows they're still hanging there... :skull:
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Yes, please post a pic of the ball of shit!
    edited January 2016
    close to something like this but 5Xs bigger. ours is probably 250 feet of lights in a 7 foot long ball of shit. simply put its as long as the backdoor as it hangs next to it where it warms the hearts & souls of everyone seeing it. we've caught elves out there playing winter wonderland.

the picture below came up when on google i typed up "ball of shit christmas lights"
    the poster of this picture titles the picture "How To Hang Tangled Christmas Lights"

Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

close to something like this but 5Xs bigger. ours is probably 250 feet of lights in a 7 foot long ball of shit. simply put its as long as the backdoor as it hangs next to it where it warms the hearts & souls of everyone seeing it. we've caught elves out there playing winter wonderland.

the picture below came up when on google i typed up "ball of shit christmas lights"
    the poster of this picture titles the picture "How To Hang Tangled Christmas Lights"

www.myspace.com