Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Got snowed out of my hike today.. oh well always next week, right?
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Five years when I turned 40 i declared that "I'm in the worse shape in my life".
    Since then I have done nothing to rectify the situation.
    So my question is am I still in the worse shape of my life or since i did nothing even worse off then i was five years ago.
  • Options

Five years when I turned 40 i declared that "I'm in the worse shape in my life".
    Since then I have done nothing to rectify the situation.
    So my question is am I still in the worse shape of my life or since i did nothing even worse off then i was five years ago.

Both really .. but the cool thing is.. you can change that NOW. :-)
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    20 minutes on the rowing machine, a little running to figure out my good talking pace, and some weights. I think the rowing machine may be a game changer. What I did with the weights was smoother, and I think it was a better warm up compared to the stationary bicycle.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Ms. Haiku said:

20 minutes on the rowing machine, a little running to figure out my good talking pace, and some weights. I think the rowing machine may be a game changer. What I did with the weights was smoother, and I think it was a better warm up compared to the stationary bicycle.

I have to say that if I find myself in a conventional gym the only machine I can stand is the rowing machine. I kind of like it, actually.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I've been flatlined on my weight, so I was annoyed at that, but I am now thinking it's because I am offsetting fat loss with muscle gain. My pants seem to be getting looser still so hopefully I am right. I didn't think it was possible to put on muscle that quickly, but I'm reading some articles that say you can put on almost a half pound of muscle a week in the early stages of rigorous weight training.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    edited February 2017
    Here's how I lost 51 lbs in 6 months and kept it off so far.
    Almost entirely due to completely changing my eating habits, The problem was I love food and I love to eat. I had to find food that was still good to eat, but was able to eat a lot.
    What worked for me was finding soup recipes that were good, overload them with vegetables and I can go back for seconds or even thirds. Chicken broth is very low calories, and as long as you make your own or use low sodium if makes a very healthy and delicious meal. Be sure to use low sodium, or you can get an entire day's worth of salt in 1 sitting. I've found that something as simple as filling a pot to the top with vegetables (cauliflower, squash, carrots, anything really) taste good if they simmer for 2-3 hours in broth and add some unique seasonings. We have a local seasoning store that I've tried a variety of seasonings to keep if different.
    I also learned to love salad. Same idea, overload a salad with a bunch of fresh veggies and I would eat my salad out of a serving bowl because I could still eat as much as I wanted. The only key was a good dressing. Most dressing is very high in calories, so find a low cal dressing (most lowfat or even nonfat dressings have a lot of calories, so find ones with low sugar as well).
    Obviously you cant eat just soup or salad.
    I was able to do it for about 2 months and lost about 25 lbs. I lost the other 25 lbs in 4 months just by making sure I had 1 meal a day that was a soup or salad overloaded with veggies, and just not over eating the other meals.
    My goal was 50 lbs, but made it to 51. Once I lost the 51 lbs, I was able to relax a little more, I was eating to keep the weight off instead of eating to lose weight. That meant I could occasionally go back for seconds or enjoy some dessert. And I realize if I take a day off of eating right it takes 1-2 days of being careful to make up for it. if I go crazy 1 day like at a superbowl party and just eat nothing but nachos and wings and beer for half a day, that will take 4-5 days to "undo."
    I also started exercising about 3 times a week as well. But I believe my eating habit was the biggest factor.
    What allowed me to do it was motivation. My motivation was a bet I had with my dad. it began last year, I had 6 months to lose 50 lbs, and then I had to keep it off the rest of the year. I won the bet and bought a new Dual turntable, receiver and Klipsh speakers with it (well, not new, all vintage, but new to me)
    Now my motivation has been how much better I feel just being healthy, I do not want to gain 51 lbs back!
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Almost entirely due to completely changing my eating habits, The problem was I love food and I love to eat. I had to find food that was still good to eat, but was able to eat a lot.
    What worked for me was finding soup recipes that were good, overload them with vegetables and I can go back for seconds or even thirds. Chicken broth is very low calories, and as long as you make your own or use low sodium if makes a very healthy and delicious meal. Be sure to use low sodium, or you can get an entire day's worth of salt in 1 sitting. I've found that something as simple as filling a pot to the top with vegetables (cauliflower, squash, carrots, anything really) taste good if they simmer for 2-3 hours in broth and add some unique seasonings. We have a local seasoning store that I've tried a variety of seasonings to keep if different.
    I also learned to love salad. Same idea, overload a salad with a bunch of fresh veggies and I would eat my salad out of a serving bowl because I could still eat as much as a water. The only key was a good dressing. Most dressing is very high in calories, so find a low cal dressing (most lowfat or even nonfat dressings have a lot of calories, so find ones with low sugar as well).
    Obviously you cant eat soup or salad.
    I was able to do it for about 2 months and lost about 25 lbs. I lost the other 25 lbs in 4 months just by making sure I had 1 meal a day that was a soup or salad overloaded with veggies, and just not over eating the other meals.
    My goal was 50 lbs, but made it to 51. Once I lost the 51 lbs, I was able to relax a little more, I was eating to keep the weight off instead of eating to lose weight. That meant I could occasionally go back for seconds or enjoy some dessert. And I realize if I take a day off of eating right it takes 1-2 days of being careful to make up for it. if I go crazy 1 day like at a superbowl party and just eat nothing but nachos and wings and beer for half a day, that will take 4-5 days to "undo."
    I also started exercising about 3 times a week as well. But I believe my eating habit was the biggest factor.
    What allowed me to do it was motivation. My motivation was a bet I had with my dad. it began last year, I had 6 months to lose 50 lbs, and then I had to keep it off the rest of the year. I won the bet and bought a new Dual turntable, receiver and Klipsh speakers with it (well, not new, all vintage, but new to me)
    Now my motivation has been how much better I feel just being healthy, I do not want to gain 51 lbs back!

Awesome share!' Thank you, and congrats!
  • Options

My three miles today; I love that I can walk to GOG ( Garden of the Gods), and hike before work! Have a great day everyone!
  • Options

My three miles today; I love that I can walk to GOG ( Garden of the Gods), and hike before work! Have a great day everyone!

I live about 5 miles from GOG! love that place.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I'm 1 of 5 in my immediate family and love love love veggie soup and cabbage soup. I wonder - I just don't know if it would work for both lunch and dinner. I could make make a pot for my lunches. We have this thing right now :lol: where we aren't making "different " meals for differ little family members that don't want to eat what we've made, the sacrafises I make :rofl:

But could definitely work for my lunches! Thanks for sharing. I have thought/considered it before but may just have motivated me to do it. I usually have tuna and cuc with water and chips or something because I'm not perfect ha! Or lunch is samich and cuc and fruit n water. I always pack tho I don't order out at work once n a while we have a luncheon I don't eat my breakfast on those days.

Natasha has helped me so much with recipe ideas and fillers and I just need to do it!

I've been discussing with her recently about having a shake or smoothie type for like 2 or 3 pm when I "think" I'm hungry. Gotta get that in action too. I don't have time to eat after lunch but if my work slows down all I think about is how to pass the time. Ha. Doesn't always slow down but anyway my mornings fly by is the point.

I'm babbling and leaving now :smile:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    At first it was tough doing soup one meal then salad the next. But once I found some I really liked and some variety and saw some fast results it became easier.
    I cut out snacks and soda too. Not completely, but eat both in moderation. I used to go through a bag of chips and a 2-L soda in about 3 days at work during snack times. Instead I found a fresh salsa at Costco that is really good, and instead of chips use celery sticks to dip into the sala. Turned out really good because the salsa is so good, which is just chopped up veggies and herbs.
    I also had to eat dinner earlier. I used to eat between 7-8:00, but I'd be so hungry when I get home from work I'd eat a small meal, then dinner 2-3 hours later. So now I try to eat at 5-6 which prevents me from snacking before eating a big meal.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I also learned to love salad. Same idea, overload a salad with a bunch of fresh veggies and I would eat my salad out of a serving bowl because I could still eat as much as I wanted. The only key was a good dressing. Most dressing is very high in calories, so find a low cal dressing (most lowfat or even nonfat dressings have a lot of calories, so find ones with low sugar as well).
    Obviously you cant eat just soup or salad.

Awesome, mace1229!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Really?? That's awesome! I love living here. :smile: I plan to hike Pike's Peak this year. ..
  • Options
    Or at least try!
  • Options
    Congrats, mace. That's an amazing accomplishment.

On a much smaller scale, I have been able to keep up my goal of climbing three times a week. I started climbing Monday nights in January 2016 and was only once a week until September or October of 2016. I didn't think I could spare the time from all my other responsibilities to go twice a week, but I found time Wednesdays after work and soon that became part of my routine. And now I've added a third day, which varies a little depending on what I have on but is usually Friday after work or Saturday after my long bike ride. I ride for 2.5 - 3 hours on Saturdays and didn't want to give that up. The last two weeks I have done both on Saturdays; at the end of the day I feel wrung out but awesome. I am also a cycle commuter so I'm on my bike at least six, often seven days a week. A secondary goal is to reduce use of my car to only essential trips, like getting large amounts of groceries. So far, so good.
  • Options

On a much smaller scale, I have been able to keep up my goal of climbing three times a week. I started climbing Monday nights in January 2016 and was only once a week until September or October of 2016. I didn't think I could spare the time from all my other responsibilities to go twice a week, but I found time Wednesdays after work and soon that became part of my routine. And now I've added a third day, which varies a little depending on what I have on but is usually Friday after work or Saturday after my long bike ride. I ride for 2.5 - 3 hours on Saturdays and didn't want to give that up. The last two weeks I have done both on Saturdays; at the end of the day I feel wrung out but awesome. I am also a cycle commuter so I'm on my bike at least six, often seven days a week. A secondary goal is to reduce use of my car to only essential trips, like getting large amounts of groceries. So far, so good.

That sounds really cool, oftenreading.
  • Options

I too have been trying to use my car less, because of the transmission, but am going to continue even after it is fixed...

So I have to share this story..
    I have always suffered greatly from wanderlust.. it drives my family crazy.. but they just let me go when I absolutely have to.. So my super rich/smart cousin was visiting, and she is an avid hiker too, and we start talking about how she lived hiking Wyoming and Montana.. and I mention how badly I have always wanted to hike Wyoming.. and everyone laughs... turns out Wyoming is a mere four hours away from me!! DUH! Soon as I get the tranny fixed... it's on!
  • Options

I too have been trying to use my car less, because of the transmission, but am going to continue even after it is fixed...

So I have to share this story..
    I have always suffered greatly from wanderlust.. it drives my family crazy.. but they just let me go when I absolutely have to.. So my super rich/smart cousin was visiting, and she is an avid hiker too, and we start talking about how she lived hiking Wyoming and Montana.. and I mention how badly I have always wanted to hike Wyoming.. and everyone laughs... turns out Wyoming is a mere four hours away from me!! DUH! Soon as I get the tranny fixed... it's on!
    ^^^ believe it or not, I did really well in US Geography.. :lol:
  • Options
    Ps.. hey @mace1229, ya wanna share some soup recipes?! If so I'll dig up the 10c recipes thread. :smiley:
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550

mace1229 said:

Really?? That's awesome! I love living here. :smile: I plan to hike Pike's Peak this year. ..
    Pike's Peak is pretty easy for a 14er.
    Was one of my first.
    Just have to try and do it during the week when there are much less tourists on the trails.
  • Options

Ps.. hey @mace1229, ya wanna share some soup recipes?! If so I'll dig up the 10c recipes thread. :smiley:

I actually didn't find many recipes I liked. Anything cream based is still going to have a lot of calories. I didn't care for most vegetable soup recipes I tried. It was more just find fresh stuff and throw it in a pot with chicken broth, and add my own seasonings.
    I like southwestern stuff, like Mexican Oregano, green chili powder, fajita seasoning, anything with some kick to it. Theres a really good spice store downtown (across from Acacia Park) that has everything, and some pre-made soup spices too and they are good about giving suggestions.
    The only recipe I do use was Pioneer Woman Drip Beef. Make sandwiches the first night, and use the left over juice and beef to make some beef vegetable soup. The juice is too strong and not enough of it to make soup, so add a few cups of beef broth, broccoli, carrots and potato turned out good.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/drip-beef-two-ways/
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Turning the corner into spring and rocking my routine per usual. Losing belly fat, gaining muscles still, pushing limits every 2-3 weeks. While you all are talking about food adjustments, not sure how you every day or regular gym rats keep up with the crazy ass metabolism boost that makes you hungry all the time. I hate those shakes that are supposed to fill you up - just nasty. I have found dense foods help, but man, I am hungry all the damn time!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I can't be bothered to make shakes. I have recently started experimenting with good quality high protein power bars before I go to climb. Last night I had a bar at 5:30 and it powered me through an evening of climbing. I could have kept going but all my belay partners had to leave :). Dinner at 9:30 and I wasn't starving by then.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I was getting ready to get back into working out...then my ankle started hurting again. I have a torn tendon and am in a walking boot for the next 6 weeks.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Squatted 205 today. With my wife being hurt and relying on me for quite a bit right now, I'm not getting to the gym as much as I'd like, but have started some bodyweight exercises to at least keep my muscles working.

I think I'm going to start training for another 5K this summer. I was looking back at last year's progress (and subsequent winter regression), I was doing the best with both weights and cardio endurance when training for that 5K.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I actually didn't find many recipes I liked. Anything cream based is still going to have a lot of calories. I didn't care for most vegetable soup recipes I tried. It was more just find fresh stuff and throw it in a pot with chicken broth, and add my own seasonings.
    I like southwestern stuff, like Mexican Oregano, green chili powder, fajita seasoning, anything with some kick to it. Theres a really good spice store downtown (across from Acacia Park) that has everything, and some pre-made soup spices too and they are good about giving suggestions.
    The only recipe I do use was Pioneer Woman Drip Beef. Make sandwiches the first night, and use the left over juice and beef to make some beef vegetable soup. The juice is too strong and not enough of it to make soup, so add a few cups of beef broth, broccoli, carrots and potato turned out good.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/drip-beef-two-ways/
    I know where that place is. I love spicy foods as well. I am working on trying more soups, but I cook a lot using scent versus recipe. Anyhow.. looking forward to Spring in the Springs; BBQ SEASON!!
    Love grilled veggies and game meats.. nothing like it!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    45 minute lift, 45 minute run, good to go for the day!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    About 6 miles. I walked completely around Red Rocks Open Space. I got some great pics. I'll post them in Nature thread over on the Art Wall later. Going now, to go post Princess pics in the Doggie thread..
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^Sounds amazing!! Looking forward to the pics.