Home recording question

Hi all,

Longtime board reader here, asking for some guidance on home recording. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I play drums, guitar, and bass pretty well but know next-to-nothing about recording at home. I'm looking to do the following three things:

(1) Audio record my original stuff using electric guitar, bass, and electric drums (I live in an apartment so acoustic drums are not an option). It doesn't need to be perfect quality - the goal, for now at least, is just to throw it on soundcloud - but I want it to be properly mixed and sound good.

(2) Make youtube videos doing "one man band" covers. I have in mind a split screen, with me handling bass, (electric) drums, and guitar duty. I'm not much of a singer so I am hoping to either (1) find a way to isolate vocals and lay the original vocal track over my instrumental parts or (2) play the vocal melody on guitar.

(3) Not hemorrhage money.

So my question to the board is - what equipment I need to get this done? Thinking about everything, top to bottom - pro tools, camera, interface, mics, etc... Again - pretty experienced as a musician, but a relative neophyte when it comes to laying it down, so please, drop some knowledge on me.

Thank you!

Comments

• BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    I'm new to this too, but I use GarageBand on my iphone, with a Shure mic for my recordings. Looking forward to seeing what others have to say.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    we all start somewhere! i would invest in a Shure vocal mic, Shure instrument mic, mic stands, some XLR cables, some kind of audio interface to record straight into Garageband. I have some stuff up on Soundcloud using this set up. I think it sounds good...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I would simply record songs and host em' on Soundcloud. YouTube is a pain in the ass. People will tell you ProTools, but Garageband works great and has enough mixing/mastering mojo to get your stuff sounding great.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Thanks, appreciate the info!