Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
    I'm sorry to hear this. Loggia was one of those really solid character actors who did a massive amount of work. I remember him well from shows like The Rockford Files, Columbo, Cannon, Mannix, Police Woman, Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man, Starsky and Hutch. Man, that guy was everywhere. A fine actor.

R.I.P. Robert Loggia.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Feech
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    Thought this was very sad....I always liked him. I couldn't find anything that said what he died from, was it just natural causes, or had he been sick?
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,657
    Alzheimer's
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

Feech

The last ep he was in on the Sops was stellar.

Fucking Alzheimer's.
  • Poncier said:

Alzheimer's

Horrible horrible disease.

I didn't remember till I read his obituary that he was the star of the cool 60s show T.H.E. Cat.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

Poncier said:

Alzheimer's

Horrible horrible disease.

I didn't remember till I read his obituary that he was the star of the cool 60s show T.H.E. Cat.
    Not to stray too far from the topic (I really did like the actor and am sorry he's gone) nor do I mean to offend anyone-- not at all!-- but the term "Alzheimer's" is disturbing to me. My Mom supposedly died of "Alzheimer's" and so did her sister, my aunt. The symptoms for both were very similar but I've known a number of other people (I've been visiting a retirement community for over 20 years) who are or have been diagnosed with that disease and their symptoms vary enough such that it doesn't all fit. The difference between "Alzheimer's" and "Brian Aging" is still contentious and personally, I prefer the latter term. I could easily go the way my Mom or Aunt did and I'd rather have people say, "His brain got old, he must have worn it out" rather than, "He died of Alzheimer's disease."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited December 2015
    No offense taken, B...but I too have lost several aunts and uncles to this. Isn't it just semantics? The person got to the point where they couldn't remember anything, couldn't take care of themselves, and mostly prematurely (shit, look at Robin Williams).
    Post edited by hedonist on
    hedonist said:

No offense taken, B...but I too have lost several aunts and uncles to this. Isn't it just semantics? The person got to the point where they couldn't remember anything, couldn't take care of themselves, and mostly prematurely (shit, look at Robin Williams).

Could be, Hedo. Maybe I'm just in denial.

• Brian, people with Alzheimer's actually die of the disease, unless they die of something else before the disease reaches its conclusion. It's not just a matter of forgetting the past. Patients lose the ability to use language. Eventually the brain forgets how to swallow, how to breathe. The body completely shuts down and death occurs. As I said, it's a terrible disease.

Just because we age doesn't mean our brain deteriorates. Not everyone develops Alzheimer's, and not everyone develops dementia. There are many forms of dementia and it's common for people to lump them all under the label of Alzheimer's or even just old age. That's due to a lack of awareness. But plenty of people will live out their lives with their intellect intact.

If I'm so unfortunate as to lose my faculties, I would rather die of a diagnosed disease so that medical science might have an opportunity to learn from my illness. I find this prospect frightening but I've given it a lot of thought since my grandmother died of Alzheimer's several years ago.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    All I know is I'm thankful that euthanasia is now legal in CA. That's my road when I get a whiff of what's to come.

Who P, I plan on saying "here, take and use what you can of me" if it can do some bit of good...then queue up Willie's Roll Me Up and Smoke Me song ;)