Improvs: tasty live gem or set killer?

2»

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I love seeing an improv live!
    I've gotten two:
    In 2000 got an improv called my son is slow ( that's what I call it anyway) more than likely a jab at George W Bush.

2nd was an instrumental little piece called Jazz oddesey.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • I love seeing an improv live!
    In my tree - fargo 03.thats all

https://youtu.be/a45A7wcFx-c
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Someone once put together all the improvs & covers from the 00',03' tour cycle. Anyone remember that?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    no, it muddies up the set and loses the crowd!

KC138045 said:

Got one in Columbus '03. Out of all the shows I've been to this one ranks last for me. Not the best set IMO and the crowd sucked. The improve did not help and I didn't know what the hell he was singing about until I listened to the boot.

That was my first show, my first "real" concert and (obviously) my first time to that venue. I had no idea what the heck to expect. It was before I knew a lot about the band, only joined 10C that January (and haven't looked back!), but once I knew more about the band, I found myself backtracking to see if Ed did a preset or if there was even a Wishlist pre-party I missed out on.

Heck, I didn't even get my tickets until real super-late, so I was probably pushed back a bit further in my block. 10C seats at the time, members were assigned to certain "blocks" and the earlier you got your tickets, the better in the "block" you were, if I remember things correctly.

How awesome would that have been if flipped? The earlier you got there, the better your block was... better numbers were closer in the blocks? It would have been awesome for the band and fans...different faces up front, but horrible for long-term members...kind of like what the situation is now.

I ended up at the radio station's preparty and scored some free food/drinks, so not all bad. I didn't know a thing about the Buzzcocks, but remembered they were super loud.

Certainly not as strange a setlist as three years prior. During the show, there was a really tall dude who came down and stood in front of me. I have the feeling he was mooching seats to stand beside his buddies and I thought about getting the staff in there to check the guy's ticket, but decided against it.

That sixth song... I'd give it to Dimi if I could. My sixth song I heard live by them is one he's tried to track down probably over 600 shows probably in 60 different countries...or so it seems.

That improv/tag during Not For You is still great, in my book.

No tags during Daughter OR Betterman is STILL weird, but we got an EPIC Wishlist out of it. After three shows, I'm one for three with Wishlist.

I didn't want to hear Black (weird personal reasons at the time) and didn't get it, but got Jeremy and the song I really wanted to hear, Elderly Woman. Happy there. I'm two for three on Black, so that works out great.

It's probably one of the ONLY shows where Daughter, Betterman, Once, OR Alive weren't played. Just take any show and you're almost guaranteed to get two or three of those songs.

And then, Ed introduced the band right before the Neil Young cover. The song was played, and then people started to leave. A LOT of people. My buddy wanted to leave, but I refused. I had a feeling. After what seemed like an eternity, I thought I heard something. No, it couldn't be...but it was. A guitar note. And then another one. And then, the entire band came back for one more... a rare THIRD encore.

Had I known then, what I know now... I probably would have tried to move down several rows. Hey, if they think the show is over and leave, their seats are fair game, right?

But yeah, I do agree. That improv was weird. I didn't know what I was hearing at the time and was talking about it with my ticket buddy on the way out.

NOW, later on that summer... I went back with some other people for Kiss and Aerosmith and have a few stories to tell about THAT night. Oh, baby.
    Nice recap! My first PJ show was three years earlier and will always be special. Both in '00 and '03 I was about the same row just opposite sides of the pavilion. It's sad now driving by where Polaris/Germain used to be(soon to be an IKEA). I remember thinking WTF when people started to leave after Fucking Up because I just had a feeling that they weren't done. Like you I wish I would of thought to move closer.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    I got one in Memphis 2014, thinking about and remembering a fellow musician that had just passed away. It was pretty awesome. :heart:
  • In my tree - fargo 03.thats all

https://youtu.be/a45A7wcFx-c

I was there, but do you consider that an improv? it was more of a different version of an existing song. not to split hairs or anything.....

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,255
    Anything new and creative live from this band is awesome to me. I know a lot of fans want to hear the "big" songs but I personally don't need Betterman, Jeremy, etc again and again (not a complaint btw, I just prefer other PJ stuff like improvs).
  • TL170678TL170678 Posts: 422
    The Improv before Habit - West Palm Beach 2000 8-9-00 ....Think it`s" I`m paralyzed"
  • TL170678TL170678 Posts: 422
    Dave A. said improvs turned into Vitalogy
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,142

Someone once put together all the improvs & covers from the 00',03' tour cycle. Anyone remember that?

The one from 2000 its great..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • SarahSarah Posts: 736
    totally depends (feel free to elaborate)
    Short improv = Tasty live gem
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • I've gotta say, I would give anything for the Memphis '14 improv to be fleshed out and become a song on the next album. It sounds amazing...one would it may sound as good as it does because EV had a cold that night ( I believe ) Wish I had been there :(

If you haven't heard it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvOEDr7uGy0
  • jp307677jp307677 Posts: 417
    Best Improv: Mansfield (Boston) #2 8/30/00
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,845
    As PJ Soul said, the improv before Porch (or, more correctly, between the first false start of Porch with the wrong guitar and the actual Porch) in Vancouver in 2013 was an awesomely cool one. Great to experience live, the crowd was into it, even in the regular seats, and I still go back to the boot just to hear it.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf