Options

What do you do to keep your hands healthy?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
edited November 2015 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hand health is probably not too big a problem or a huge issue for you younger Olympians of Guitar but on the other hand, it's never to early to keep one's hands in good health and sooner or later many of us become more aware of the need to keep the hands in good shape.

I'm at the point where wear and tear (otherwise not so pleasantly referred to as arthritis) is becoming more and more a factor in my playing. Over the years, I've slowly added things I've learned, especially this last year or so and yet at the same time, that "wear and tear" is making progress more difficult (which is a bit frustrating). I compensate as best I can, enjoy playing and keep at it and I think that's the key.

So just wondering what are some of the things you other players do- pro, amateur or hobbyists- to keep your hands fit?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    I stretch and flex each finger and thumb individually. Then, I make tight fists and quickly open all of my fingers like a firecracker just went off in my hand. I do this with both hands for a few minutes before I play. Every time. Even if I know I only have 5 or 10 minutes to play. You can't be too careful when it comes to your body parts.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

I stretch and flex each finger and thumb individually. Then, I make tight fists and quickly open all of my fingers like a firecracker just went off in my hand. I do this with both hands for a few minutes before I play. Every time. Even if I know I only have 5 or 10 minutes to play. You can't be too careful when it comes to your body parts.

Sounds like a good hand exercise, Dudeman.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    It's all about getting the synovial fluid where it needs to be. I've been playing guitar and bass for 21 years and I plan to play as long as I am able.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I stopped popping my knuckles about 15 years ago and that helped.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dudeman said:

It's all about getting the synovial fluid where it needs to be. I've been playing guitar and bass for 21 years and I plan to play as long as I am able.

Interesting. I'll have to check that out later.

• Options
    One other thing that I became aware of is Glucosamine Chondroitin. It's a supplement that helps manage and postpone/prevent arthritis. I'm still pretty young to need it but my wife recommends it to her arthritic patients. Supposedly works wonders.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited December 2015
    I'm a piano player, and I think that might keep the hands more limber than guitar playing does, since you move them a lot, but not into such awkward positions as the guitar calls for. But anyway, I just stretch them regularly. First I put my palms together like I'm praying and lift my elbows up as far as I can without overextending my fingers. Do that a few times, holding for maybe 5 seconds. Then I just stretch them the normal way, by linking the fingers together and pushing my palms away from me. And I also just open and close my hands over and over, and then shake them out. Seems to work! My hands feel fine so far. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dudeman said:

One other thing that I became aware of is Glucosamine Chondroitin. It's a supplement that helps manage and postpone/prevent arthritis. I'm still pretty young to need it but my wife recommends it to her arthritic patients. Supposedly works wonders.

Glucosamine has helped me a lot. I read that Glucosamine Sulfate is more effective than Glucosmine Hydrochloride so I use the sulfate type get one that also has MSM and Chondritin.
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm a piano player, and I think that might keep the hands more limber than guitar playing does, since you move them a lot, but not into such awkward positions as the guitar calls for. But anyway, I just stretch them regularly. First I put my palms together like I'm praying and lift my elbows up as far as I can without overextending my fingers. Do that a few times, holding for maybe 5 seconds. Then I just stretch them the normal way, by linking the fingers together and pushing my palms away from me. And I also just open and close my hands over and over, and then shake them out. Seems to work! My hands feel fine so far. :)

I'll try that too!

• Options
    Hand balm
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    dudeman said:

that's pretty much what I do as well. before a show, I extend the stretches.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

Hand balm

do you mean regular hand lotion or is there something specific for guitar players, i know
    it may be a silly question but i see possibilities ??
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

Hand balm

do you mean regular hand lotion or is there something specific for guitar players, i know
    Not to speak for 2-feign but I'm guessing he means a medicating balm. I've had arthritis in my hands for year and take glucosamine sulfate for it which has helped but winters are getting more difficult on the hands. Lately I've been using a balm called "Devil's Club Soothing Rub" from Back Bay Botanicals out of Sitka Alaska. It's made out of Devil's Club, Poplar, Spruce, Wormwood, Olive OIl, Beeswax and Pure Essential Oils. It seems to help a little. Loving the rain and winter but the drier months are easier on the hands!

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    thanks.. i do appreciate you response as im learning guitar and i know im going to get calises so thought there was something special for them..anyhow think i will just use olive oil for time being if the get hard..
  • Options
    brianlux said:

JWPearl said:

Hand balm

Not to speak for 2-feign but I'm guessing he means a medicating balm. I've had arthritis in my hands for year and take glucosamine sulfate for it which has helped but winters are getting more difficult on the hands. Lately I've been using a balm called "Devil's Club Soothing Rub" from Back Bay Botanicals out of Sitka Alaska. It's made out of Devil's Club, Poplar, Spruce, Wormwood, Olive OIl, Beeswax and Pure Essential Oils. It seems to help a little. Loving the rain and winter but the drier months are easier on the hands!
    Si...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Pro tip: Never shower. It makes your fingertips soft and bad for guitar playing.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16