Options

Did Ed sound better in 2014 than 2013??

2»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't notice a difference between 13 and 14.... But I notice a huge difference between 12 and 13/14. Sounded much, much better the past 2 years. Some of those 2012 boots are rough.

That's what I notice too. I feel like there was a sudden improvement in the middle of 2012. When he came back for Missoula he suddenly sounded way better, to the point where I wondered if he'd had some kind of restorative medical treatment.
    I don't feel like Eddie's voice was bad in 2013 for any reason other than insanely long shows for that tour, coupled with barely knowing how to sing anything from LB. Some of those LB songs in 2013 were absolute train wrecks, but not because his vocal chords couldn't handle it. He just couldn't find the right key! Although by the end of that tour, on the West Coast, his voice was going because the long long shows were taking their toll. Smoking or no smoking (not that it helps), those marathon shows would batter anyone's voice. That's why so few artists do it. Most singers could never do those kinds of 3+ hour shows, and wouldn't even try. I appreciate the effort from the band, but I think everyone might benefit in the long run if they kept the shows to under 2.5 hours (which is still a super long show), and always tried to have as much time between shows as possible.
    They could also, you know, play more music....Inside Job extended would be a beautiful thing. It doesn't have to be all about Ed (not saying HE thinks that way. Just commenting that there are ways to do 3 hour shows wo destroying Eds voice. Just sayin')
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Ed isn't Bon Jovi up there.

His voice is pushed from high to low, fast to slow, ballad to screaming, Punk to everything in between 30+ songs. I know of no singer that could do that from 25 years old to 50 years old. It is pretty inecredible.

Two shows I saw in 13, Portland and Vancouver, were great. Portland Deep was one of the best I ever heard.

This board has worried about Ed's voice since it's inception.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,849
    Listen to the Leeds show on 8/25/06. That may be the last barnstormer of a set the guys played.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760

You can notice that he's also starting off the shows with more slower/easier songs to sing (pendulum, nothingman, EWBTC, release ETC) to warm up his voice. The days of starting off with Go are over.

Guess I was wrong haha
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858

You can notice that he's also starting off the shows with more slower/easier songs to sing (pendulum, nothingman, EWBTC, release ETC) to warm up his voice. The days of starting off with Go are over.

Guess I was wrong haha
    Haha, I thought the same thing, they're not holding anything back this tour.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    rollings said:

mcgruff10 said:

i go to the 14 boots way more than the 13 boots. the band and ed sound more polished.

Who can forget that blunder of LB at Wrigley.
    Complete verse omitted.
    On the debut!
    oh god, no!
    But no one knew the difference at the time, since no one had ever heard it before.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Was at the MSG shows, Ed sounded really good. Hitting notes that he hasn't been able to hit in many years. When they played "Down" during MSG1, he changed the lyrics to "throw away these cigarettes..." So there's probably the reason why he sounds very good. Quit smoking. Keep it up, Ed.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    He sang that line at Barclays too, and I didn't notice him having a smoke on the side of the stage during the long jams anymore.
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Me, my father, and my girlfriend were incredibly impressed with EVs vocals on this tour for the shows we saw.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/