am I a hypocrite?

I eat meat but am against horse racing and other forms of animal abuse.
I am thinking of going vegetarian but it would be a big change.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,471
    american pharoah is one hell of a horse.
    www.myspace.com
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    The people who were protesting oil drilling in Alaska went out in the sound in droves...in their plastic kayaks...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329

american pharoah is one hell of a horse.

a stud, if you will
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    edited November 2015

If I said that yes you are a hypocrite, then I would be an opinionated and judgmental jerkette.
    Here is a book by Alicia Silverstone that I once checked out of the library. Although I eat meat, I'm not happy about it. Yet, I don't feel well when I go without it....
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Kind-Diet-Simple-Feeling/dp/1609611357
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Aren't we all hypocrites to some degree?

Damned if I don't go all cavewoman on a perfectly-cooked medium-rare filet mignon, or hot crisp bacon, or pork chops with mustard sauce, or a meatball sub....

Yeah.

To that end, my conscience and sensibility would love to take down those who get off on harming or hunting animals for sport or amusement.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,354

Well isn't there a question as to whether we are wired to crave meat? And if we crave meat, isn't it evolution that brought us to that point? Humans need protein for strength and survival. Our species has grown to this point in large part due to the hunting part of hunting and gathering. Your assumption is that slaughtering animals for meat is cruelty. I disagree with that assessment. I think it's nature. All animals eat other animals down the food chain.

Beating the crap out of dogs, torturing animals, sport hunting, horse racing, those are not natural conditions of the food chain. Therefore, if you can become a vegetarian, good for you. But utilizing animals for the protein, leather, etc is not cruelty to me.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    not sure of the answer to the OP's question but I eat meat and love horse racing so whatever that makes me i am what i am.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    "If you hate something, don't you do it too"

If you hate horse races, don't race horses.
    If you hate animal abuse, don't abuse animals.
    If you hate eating meat, don't eat meat.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
    hedonist said:

Aren't we all hypocrites to some degree?

Damned if I don't go all cavewoman on a perfectly-cooked medium-rare filet mignon, or hot crisp bacon, or pork chops with mustard sauce, or a meatball sub....

Yeah.

To that end, my conscience and sensibility would love to take down those who get off on harming or hunting animals for sport or amusement.

Remember DS's "hypocrite" thread? I think it might be what eventually led him to being banned. :frowning:

Yes, we are all hypocrites to some degree. But to what degree? I think that is worth considering. Yes, RKCNDY, those protesters may have been a bit hypocritical... or were their boats made from recycled plastic that didn't end up in the great pacific garbage patch? We know it wasn't oil that was burned and simply turned into greenhouse gasses.

As for eating meat- there is meat and there is meat. I would suggest checking out the documentary, "Food, Inc." and the movie, "Temple Grandin" to get an idea of how animals can be raised and treated more humanely, and then if you do decide to eat meat, to shop around for meat from more responsible sources.

My own basic rule of thumb is:
    -No ocean fish what-so-ever. The oceans have been over-fished and are in peril. If they go, we go.
    -No beef. Cows are one of the main contributors of greenhouse gasses and with a world population of 7.3 billion people, they are far too high on the food chain. Same for pigs, plus pigs are intelligent and sensitive creatures.
    -I only eat small amounts of poultry that has been raised humanely.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    I'd bitch slap a bull rider while eating a hamburger.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Everyone's a hypocrite.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Hobbes said:

I'd slap a vegetarian while stepping on lettuce.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Hobbes said:

now that's funny
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    im hypocrite when your hypocrite to me....
    otherwise im genuinely honest and dont hurt feelings..
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

Hobbes said:

I'd slap a vegetarian while stepping on lettuce.
    Boom and boom!

I guess I'm a hypocrite to the nth degree, because this carnivorous chick is NOT giving up surf or turf ;)

By the way, I don't think being hypocritical has anything to with honesty or kindness or even tit-for-tatness. It's just human nature.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Food Inc certainly is a great film and believe me, if I could I would eat from a responsible food source. It's simply too expensive for me to do so. I eat grass fed and organic free range when I can. I do not think being an animal lover and a meat eater is hypocritical in the least. Humans eat meat, it's the best thing on this earth for us. The problem now is whats IN the meat we're eating. I haven't eaten veal in about 30 years and I don't drink cows milk...no other mammal drinks milk after its weened. I do what I can but I like steak, a big char grilled red bloody steak, Give me that and some asparagus and I'm golden.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
    i agree with you sprunkn and as long as the animal is treated nicely and given a humane quick death i think makes a big difference
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2015
    I don't think so.
    I'm against what you are as well but we gotta eat!
    If you go the vegetarian route keep it to yourself or at least minimize how "great " it is for the environment to a dull roar.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
    Sprunkn7 said:

Food Inc certainly is a great film and believe me, if I could I would eat from a responsible food source. It's simply too expensive for me to do so. I eat grass fed and organic free range when I can. I do not think being an animal lover and a meat eater is hypocritical in the least. Humans eat meat, it's the best thing on this earth for us. The problem now is whats IN the meat we're eating. I haven't eaten veal in about 30 years and I don't drink cows milk...no other mammal drinks milk after its weened. I do what I can but I like steak, a big char grilled red bloody steak, Give me that and some asparagus and I'm golden.

Well said, Sprunkn7. If we all do what we can within our means and budget were at least moving in the right direction and making a good little dull roar. (The dull roar thing- I'm trying harder that way. Hitting people over the head with ideas often just damages and mangles the hell out of the thought or idea leaving little or no impression on the noggin.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited November 2015
    jervis had his lady last night so fairs fair i cant complain yet im not there so why cant i hehe
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    edited November 2015
    After chewing (hehe) on this, I have to admit it's easy to fall into an apathetic state when it comes to food. I suppose if my focus was on where my food comes from, I would make better choices. I could do a bit more homework and see whats good locally and then check it out. If it's that important to me I could cut something out of my budget and put more money into better fuel for my body. I can do a lot more than I actually am. A paleo (primal maybe since I like cheese, I want to eat better, but I am not 100% giving up cheese!) based diet is my new goal. Slowly fazing out certain foods and eating whats good for me, cutting out "Frankenfoods" and leaning towards a healthier lifestyle.
    As for going vegetarian. I know a lot of people that are and they're very happy. Just be careful of the pasta and make sure you eat a good protein source Good luck :heart:
    Post edited by Sprunkn7 on
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
    JWPearl said:

jervis had his lady last night so fairs fair i cant complain yet im not there so why cant i hehe

Excuse this post was upset yesterday but my sleep I had made up for it hehe

• Did you join in on the fun in your dream?
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Yes lol
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,354
    edited November 2015
    On a related, depressing note, drinking drinks like Diet Coke can increase a man's risk for heart failure by 23%.,.. One study, but I'm sure no one can think DC's are good for you, as delicious as they are. sigh.. time to give up something else. http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/health/soda-heart-failure-study/index.html
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Sprunkn7 said:

After chewing (hehe) on this, I have to admit it's easy to fall into an apathetic state when it comes to food. I suppose if my focus was on where my food comes from, I would make better choices. I could do a bit more homework and see whats good locally and then check it out. If it's that important to me I could cut something out of my budget and put more money into better fuel for my body. I can do a lot more than I actually am. A paleo (primal maybe since I like cheese, I want to eat better, but I am not 100% giving up cheese!) based diet is my new goal. Slowly fazing out certain foods and eating whats good for me, cutting out "Frankenfoods" and leaning towards a healthier lifestyle.
    As for going vegetarian. I know a lot of people that are and they're very happy. Just be careful of the pasta and make sure you eat a good protein source Good luck :heart:

Everything in moderation. Including moderation, lol. A friend who moved here from Europe ended up going nearly vegetarian & almost completely organic. Basically lives off the food she gets from her CSA because the shit we do to our food here freaked her out so bad. If you're only cooking for 1-2 and neither person is especially picky & open to new things & trying to be healthy then making the switch to a plant based, organic diet with less meat is probably going to be not very difficult, and possibly not that expensive.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435