Options

Hemming

TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
(currently supporting Chris Cornell on the Higher Truth tour)

HEMMING (Candice Martello) is an acoustic singer-songwriter hailing from Philadelphia, PA. Her high-voltage vocals and folk-influenced songs have stood out from the crowd as a performer in the thriving Philadelphia music scene, having played the stage at well-known venues throughout the city. With a family deep rooted in music, It’s no wonder she has befriended every instrument she meets. Playing guitar at just 9 years old, and writing her first song at 13, her fascination with music took off very young.

After graduating from Drexel University, Hemming continued developing her sound and influence as a solo performer to the backdrop of the artist community in West Philadelphia, and as a member of Omar, the two-piece punk band she formed with close friend Nick Fanelli. While a part of Make or Break: The Linda Perry Project, she was praised for her talent as a solo artist, and split from Omar to further develop her own sound. 

With musical influences including Cat Power, Metric, M. Ward, and Elliot Smith; she is inspired by the power of raw emotion, experience, and simplicity. Hemming's rhythmic, folksy, room-splitting croon produces a haunting experience for her audience. With the honesty of her music, expressed through lyrics like “Do you think I’ll make you feel better?” and “I’ll never be the man for you,” Hemming occupies the space that most people reserve for their heart, whether they want her in there or not.

My current musical obsession, I suggest you check out her music if you haven't heard her yet.

Comments

• Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Thought she was great opening for Cornell this weekend!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    Owl JamOwl Jam Posts: 88
    I loved her opening for Cornell.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,334
    I thought she was great opening for Cornell (I saw the show in Vancouver). I've been listening to the album a lot. It's really good.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited November 2015
    I thought she was great opening for Chris Cornell. I went to the Houston show at the university of Houston (I think it's their theater building where they do plays. I really liked hearing her songs acoustic. I'd like to see her again with a full band like on the album.

I felt like she and Chris both had the crowd in the palm of their hand when they both performed. I loved it. Crowd was great.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    red mos said:

I thought she was great opening for Chris Cornell. I went to the Houston show at the university of Houston (I think it's their theater building where they do plays. I really liked hearing her songs acoustic. I'd like to see her again with a full band like on the album.

I felt like she and Chris both had the crowd in the palm of their hand when they both performed. I loved it. Crowd was great.

I completely agree, while the show I was at in MD had two bros close by me who acted disrespectful during her set (talked loudly and laughed about it) the rest of the audience was transfixed by her performance. There was a flood of people after her set that ran to buy her album and meet her. I personally think that is the best thing that can happen at a gig. Seeing Chris Cornell was amazing but finding this new artist I wouldn't have otherwise known of was certainly the highlight for me.

I am lucky to be close to Philly where she is located so I am hoping to make a trip up sometime soon to go see one of her hometown solo shows. I am also hoping that she gets enough recognition to soon go on her own tour.