Electric Guitars and Open Chords ... ?

Any suggestions for the best electric guitar when playing backup rhythm...mainly open major chords... Thanks!
Love is all you need.....

Comments

• ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    for what price range?
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Lots of factors to consider. What style of music? How many guitarists are in your band? What amp are you planning to use?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Need some more info.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    Rock and roll..beatles to janes addiction with a little pj here and there....marshall amp...I would be second gutarist...4 piece band. Thanks for any suggestions :)
    Can spend up to 1000
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    If you're the second guitar player, I would be looking at Gibson Les Paul Specials or used SG Standards. They are fat sounding and I always had a soft spot in my heart for the Gibson & Marshall combination.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    My first thought was Rickenbacker, but not for under $1k.

I would suggest anything with high-output single coils, like the P-90 or DeArmond 2k pickups. So, Les Paul or SG with P-90s or a Gretsch or DeArmond with the 2ks. I think that would produce great open-chord rhythm tone. Light overdrive, or play around with light compression. Does the Marshall amp have tubes, or is it solid-state?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    I suggest Eleanor rigby and dice
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    my suggestion is to go to a music shop, plug in & figure out what fits you. even if it doesn't 100% "fit" your bands sound, it's your guitar & you'll probably be playing it for awhile. even if it doesn't fit your band's sound, you can always add a pedal or 2 to beef it up/tone it down.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    depends on what sound you are going for. don't get something with distortion pickups in it if you are going to be playing some lighter/cleaner sounding stuff. i made the mistake of putting duncan distortions into one of my les pauls and i fucked it all up. i could not get a clean tone out of that pickup at all. i ended up having them switched back to the stock pickups.

i am a marshall/gibson man myself. i favor les pauls and sgs. i have an old firebird with minihumbuckers in it and it is pretty much a badass versatile guitar.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    I should have thought of mini humbuckers, which would also make for pretty good rhythm tone.
    thanks for the input ... no decision yet but the gibson e 339 has caught my eye ... may have to spend a little more than i want to.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    strange my instructor told me that its still an f if i choose to leave my finger on a and leave out the e, is that true bc my dad says it dont sound like an f, if anybody can enlighten me
    thanks
  • Yea McreadyIsGod. Thinking of throwing a mini into one of my teles. Goddam Pete townshend.
  • Half breed tele deluxe
    I have a pair of P-90s in a Tele Deluxe. Now Fender is making exactly the same thing (although I got my P-90s from Lindy Fralin).

There are Teles out there with a Gibson-style (usually Seymour Duncan) mini-humbucker in the neck position. I've had hands on a few, and they're really nice. The middle pickup position is very nice; I'd love to try one with 4-way Tele switching.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My buddy has a PRS that is amazing with open string chords, it is one of the lower end stock models and it is a beauty.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?