Options

gop natural disaster hypocricy

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,156
well well well. seems the same republicans in government from the great state of south carolina who opposed federal aid for new york and new jersey after hurricane sandy are now requesting federal aid after joaquin.

i read the below article, and it really pissed me off.

let me get this straight. these assholes have said no to federal aid for anybody else, but they had better get it when they need it.

should these people be rewarded for their stupidity? should their intransigence and hypocricy be reinforced by giving them what they want? these are the people who are all about the states, and all about states rights. how about we let the state of south carolina fix this themselves? let's sit back and watch how these clowns actually govern in the midst of a crisis. that is how part of me feels right now at this exact moment in time. fortunately, my mind is working better than my heart right now. we are all americans. we are the united states, we have a duty to help each other in times of trouble. and we will. even the hypocrites who refused to help others when they were in need. we will help them, because that is what we, as decent people, do. we help one another.

this is an example of why republicans must be defeated in the coming elections. this one incident puts their party under the microscope and proves that they are who we always thought they were. hypocrites. selfish, greedy, hypocrites. these are the people who claim to be for life, liberty, and freedom, but only for themselves and nobody else.

sorry, rant over. here is the article...

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/10/06/in-past-votes-sc-delegation-opposed-flood-aid

By ANDREW TAYLOR and MARY CLARE JALONICK, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — South Carolina's congressional delegation is vowing to make sure the state gets federal help to recover from the historic flooding from massive rains.

But less than three years ago, the Republican-dominated, conservative delegation opposed a $51 billion relief bill to help mid-Atlantic states like New York and New Jersey rebuild in the wake of Superstorm Sandy, which dealt that region a devastating blow.

On Tuesday, Gov. Nikki Haley said that "we're not going to stop" until the state gets "everything we need to get back up and running and fixed again." Already, the state's two GOP senators say they'll support Haley, a fellow Republican, in obtaining recovery funding as estimates come in.

"The governor's going to be making the request and we'll certainly be there as part of the process," said Sen. Tim Scott. "But the amount can't be determined at this point."

In January 2013, five Republicans in the House delegation voted against Sandy aid after the superstorm. So did Scott and GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham in a vote later that month.

In fact, just 49 of 232 House Republicans voted to provide the Sandy storm aid. Rep. Mick Mulvaney, R-S.C., offered an amendment to require that $17 billion worth of the package be offset by cuts elsewhere in the budget.

At the time, Mulvaney said: "I wish very much that we could pass this and easily borrow the money without any questions whatsoever, but we've wasted that opportunity. We've mismanaged our own finances to the point where we are now no longer capable of taking care of our own."

Rep. Jim Clyburn, a member of the House Democratic leadership team, supported the aid package.

In the wake of the South Carolina flooding, Republicans who opposed Sandy funding seem to be having a change of heart.

"Rep. Rice thinks we need to have a discussion about the role of the federal government in disaster relief," said Alex Eline, a spokeswoman for Rep. Tom Rice, R-S.C. "That being said, to the extent that we have damages in South Carolina, we are covered by law and he believes we need to get the full benefit of that. We will seek funds necessary to cover the needs of our district as a result of this catastrophe."

There is almost $6 billion in the Federal Emergency Management Agency's disaster relief fund for immediate needs. But more money is likely to be required. Big flood disasters like Sandy and Hurricane Katrina usually generate far greater damage than other disasters.

"There will be a time for a discussion about aid and how to pay for it, but that time is not now," Mulvaney said. "The danger is still real, and it is immediate. Keeping folks safe is the priority right now."

The Sandy aid bill had a relatively difficult path through Congress. It advanced in the wake of the 2012 election that gave President Barack Obama his second term and as Obama was using leverage over Republicans to muscle through a tax increase on upper income earners. Some Republicans said Obama's performance after the storm and praise from Republicans such as New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie helped Obama seal his re-election.

The measure also included items for earlier disasters and drew criticism from some government watchdogs and Republicans for such spending.

"What I opposed was the piling on of projects," Scott said. "All types of projects that had nothing to do with it that took the number up by several billion dollars."

The Sandy aid bill moved through with support of Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, and then-Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., the leading candidate to replace Boehner when he steps down at the end of the month. The other announced candidates for leadership posts opposed the Sandy measure.

"There is a reason we call this the United States of America and that's because we'd respond to any fellow Americans who find themselves in the midst of tragedy as we see in South Carolina," Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., said Tuesday.

"That's why I keep reminding my colleagues 'there but for the grace of God, go I.' It can happen to you next."

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    Reminds me of that line, "We are against big government accept for when we are for big government."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,973
    It seems like those that opposed the Sandy Relief Bill opposed it because of all the other crap that was tacked on at the end.

I'm not a fan of Republicans either, but I'd like to see exactly what they are asking for in the SC Relief Bill before I cast stones at them.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

It seems like those that opposed the Sandy Relief Bill opposed it because of all the other crap that was tacked on at the end.

I'm not a fan of Republicans either, but I'd like to see exactly what they are asking for in the SC Relief Bill before I cast stones at them.

Either way, it would be good to know that people less fortunate and struggling are getting some help.

(Copyright 2015 brianlux. All rights reserved. This post may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. LOL!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Agreed. Politics need to take a back seat to the problems we face as a nation.

(Notice that I didn't quote you so as to be in compliance with the copyright.)

Hahaha!
  • Options
    ^^^ DItto. :lol:

• Options
    dudeman said:

they politicized it by voting against aid for hurricane sandy.

pork, my ass. there was absolutely no excuse to have voted against that bill.

these people need to remember that we are all in this together and we all help each other in times of tragedy.

then again, this is the same faction who allowed health care funding for 9/11 first responders to expire, so you can't expect them to do the decent thing in the worst of events.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    But they didn't vote against Sandy Relief because they didn't want to help people, they did it because of backdoor additions to the bill. I don't agree with what they did and I don't agree with politicians tacking shit on to necessary legislation either.

They are all guilty of playing politics instead of putting the needs of the people first.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

But they didn't vote against Sandy Relief because they didn't want to help people, they did it because of backdoor additions to the bill. I don't agree with what they did and I don't agree with politicians tacking shit on to necessary legislation either.

They are all guilty of playing politics instead of putting the needs of the people first.

there is never, ever, a clean bill for anything in our political system. there are always backdoor additions.

is it just me, or do these people always purposely fail to pass the bills that matter the most?

• Options
    No, it's not just you. The current state of our government is deplorable in many respects. The back door bullshit, lies, scandals....all of it sucks. I think there is too much room for direct personal gain for our current crop of politicians. It would be nice to see an honest politician that has the best interest of our country and its people at heart.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone like that would get very far.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

No, it's not just you. The current state of our government is deplorable in many respects. The back door bullshit, lies, scandals....all of it sucks. I think there is too much room for direct personal gain for our current crop of politicians. It would be nice to see an honest politician that has the best interest of our country and its people at heart.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone like that would get very far.

they wouldn't get that far.

whomever gets elected to high office needs media support from somewhere. your honest politician who puts our country above his own ambitions is boring. that kind of person is not clickbait. that kind of person will not act like donald trump. that campaign would be dead on arrival.

unfortunately that is the cold hard reality of our political discourse.

either you are a shark, or you are food.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,751
    dudeman said:

Nowadays arent backdoor amendments THEE way to kill a bill? with earmarks being history it should be made a rule that unless an amendment is on/about the subject of the bill it cant be inserted.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Because "that's the way it is" certainly doesn't make it right. I think the American people deserve better. However, too many people either don't care enough to demand change or have simply given up.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

Because "that's the way it is" certainly doesn't make it right. I think the American people deserve better. However, too many people either don't care enough to demand change or have simply given up.

we do deserve better.

and people have given up.

people giving up is the result of learned helplessness that our 2 party system fosters. this is by design, otherwise we would have multiple parties.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    wrong thread.

my bad...