Books

I have just finished reading Perfume by Patrick Suskind, wow what a book.
Also recently read Junky by William S Burroughs, interesting read.
I read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath a while ago, great book, want to reread it soon.
Earlier this year I read On The Road by Jack Kerouac, a very very long read but enjoyed it.
My next book to read is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, I have heard it's a great read.

Has anyone read these titles and your review/thoughts?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I read Cuckoo's nest after I'd seen the film and loved how the perspective was so different. Both quite powerful.

It is indeed a great read.

There's a thread on here about books - pretty sure brianlux started it? Worth searching out :)
  • hedonist said:

I read Cuckoo's nest after I'd seen the film and loved how the perspective was so different. Both quite powerful.

It is indeed a great read.

There's a thread on here about books - pretty sure brianlux started it? Worth searching out :)

Thank you. I sure will.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Perfume is one of my fave books of all time. Reading is awesome, keep doing it!

I mostly read German authors for some reason. My favourite books have not been translated into English and I always hated that none of my friends reads enough to discuss a book with them. But my parents are avid readers and I get most of my recommendations from them, so there is at least someone to share with :)
  • Perfume is one of my fave books of all time. Reading is awesome, keep doing it!

I mostly read German authors for some reason. My favourite books have not been translated into English and I always hated that none of my friends reads enough to discuss a book with them. But my parents are avid readers and I get most of my recommendations from them, so there is at least someone to share with :)

Yeah it is one of the best books I have read. I couldn't stop reading.
    I decided to read it as the song Scentless Apprentice was written about the book.
    I don't normally read much, it's something I have gotten into being unemployed and bored, to kill time.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629

I have just finished reading Perfume by Patrick Suskind, wow what a book.
    Also recently read Junky by William S Burroughs, interesting read.
    I read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath a while ago, great book, want to reread it soon.
    Earlier this year I read On The Road by Jack Kerouac, a very very long read but enjoyed it.
    My next book to read is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, I have heard it's a great read.

Has anyone read these titles and your review/thoughts?

Great choices all around, Thoughts!

Plath's The Bell Jar is an amazing book.

Cuckoo's Nest is such a great classic. The film version is fantastic as well but it was the ACT stage production in San Francisco in the early 70's that blew me away. The cast was phenomenal. Even the small-part actors were great. One guy stood against a wall with his arms raised in a crucifixion pose with drool running down his chine for almost the entire play. That he could do that once- let alone night after night- totally blew my mind.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.