The value of Vinyl

Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
edited October 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey..I know most of you probably come here to get away from all the Vinyl madness and I didn't want to post in the flea market since Im not looking to sell but.....Where is the best place to see how much some records are worth? Just scooped the following at a garage sale for a $1 each. Too much B.S. on Ebay.

Introducing the Beatles - Original still wrapped.
Meet the Beatles
Beatles White Album
GNR Appetite for Destruction

All in great shape. Please no offers to buy or trade.
Thanks.
"Going where the water tastes like wine!"
Post edited by Wma31394 on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Value if vinyl is much like sports cards/comic books. Look at the dust jacket, look at the record, are there scratches, bends, creases, fading, warping, etc? How is the playability?

These all affect the value. For how much they are worth, you can Google the album, but remember that on a place like eBay, the price is usually the asking price. Look at completed auctions, you can get a better idea of what the market is willing to pay. Also, since vinyl is popular, lots of companies are re-pressing albums.

I'm not an expert, just starting to get really serious about it. I think you have the right idea to go to garage sales to pick up albums.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Love the opening line. I've read that discogs.com can be used, but I am by no means an expert.

Best of luck
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    edited October 2015
    Discogs is nice because it helps you to identify exactly what pressing of those albums you have (via sleeve notes, catalog numbers, labels, runout matrices and other identifiers). People put a higher monetary value on certain pressings, so you could get a better idea of how much the specific versions you bought are currently selling for in the marketplace. I'd say that in today's vinyl market, you probably got a deal on all of those, although I wouldn't pay much more than you did, maybe $2 for the White Album since it's a double. I'm a flea market/garage sale buyer myself.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Thanks for the responses guys, I will check Discogs...Yea I have never paid more than a few bucks for an album..When I saw the sealed Beatles you can't help but wonder if you found something nice..Time to dust off the Technics!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    If you have a discogs account and logged all your albums in, it generates a list of the value, with lowest, medium and highest, as per the prices they sold on the website for. I think it is a helpful tool to keep track of the collection, also in case you have an insurance claim coming or something.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365

If you have a discogs account and logged all your albums in, it generates a list of the value, with lowest, medium and highest, as per the prices they sold on the website for. I think it is a helpful tool to keep track of the collection, also in case you have an insurance claim coming or something.

Does that website share your collection?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    I am actually not sure if it is a must. I know people can share it. I gotta look if there is any option for privacy.
    edited October 2015
    Ok, just checked, you can check off "allow others to browse my collection". There you go :)
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Thanks. Just curious. Right now I just try to keep a spreadsheet up to date.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited October 2015
    JK_Livin said:

Holy crap, that is organized. I keep forgetting to even sort my records by alphabet... THIS weekend for sure! :tongue:
    Apparently I only have maybe 2/3 of my collection listed in discogs (not that I even actually know how many records I have - I just eyeball it), but I haven't bothered to figure out which ones are missing. I am a REALLY lazy vinyl fan. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    PJ_Soul said:

JK_Livin said:

Holy crap, that is organized.
    He also remembers to put coversheets on his T.P.S. reports.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
    For appraising, I agree with those who give Discogs thumbs up but I also compare with MusicStack and GEM and then lastly to get a more broad picture of what's out there I also check eBay. I also often use my Goldmine catalog to find specific record information because it often lists detailed variations.

As an aside, for buying, whenever possible I buy music from any good brick and mortar record shops or a good on-line seller. Also, in some cases when possible directly from the label like Dischord Records and Sub Pop.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.