Options

Flattening Posters?

iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
edited September 2015 in The Porch
I have posters still in tubes I plan on putting in a portfolio, I don't have room to lay out a poster for more than a day nor is the floor space safe due to room and dog, any ideas how to flatten posters with limited space?

Comments

• Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    I have a portfolio from Jerry's that I store under a bed. That flattens them and keeps them safe until I am ready to frame them.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/portfolios-and-presentation/picturesque-pro-presentation-cases.htm
  • Options
    cmalisze said:

I have a portfolio from Jerry's that I store under a bed. That flattens them and keeps them safe until I am ready to frame them.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/portfolios-and-presentation/picturesque-pro-presentation-cases.htm

I have that portfolio, but you just put them in there from rolled to portfolio?
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I only own a few posters, so I bought a sturdy 3-fold poster board from Staples and put the posters in that. Cheap, easy, simple!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    samjam said:

I only own a few posters, so I bought a sturdy 3-fold poster board from Staples and put the posters in that. Cheap, easy, simple!

Don't mind me for asking what might be a stupid question, but how do use the poster board to flatten the poster I can't in vision it in my head and it's been a long time since I used poster board for anything
  • Options
    edited September 2015

samjam said:

Don't mind me for asking what might be a stupid question, but how do use the poster board to flatten the poster I can't in vision it in my head and it's been a long time since I used poster board for anything
    No worries! I put the posters in the center, fold the two sides, store it upside down so everything stays flat.

Or you could leave it right side up and put a weight on the top so the folds stay closed/posters stay flat.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    samjam said:

samjam said:

No worries! I put the posters in the center, fold the two sides, store it upside down so everything stays flat.

Or you could leave it right side up and put a weight on the top so the folds stay closed/posters stay flat.
    This works for all sized posters? Like I have a few that are the odd sizes like Baltimore 2013 and one of the Philly 2013 shows
  • Options

samjam said:

samjam said:

This works for all sized posters? Like I have a few that are the odd sizes like Baltimore 2013 and one of the Philly 2013 shows
    You should be fine, just measure before hand so you know how big the posterboard has to be. Baltimore is actually one of the 3 or 4 posters I have stored!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited September 2015
    I have a portfolio, and I lined it with poster board to keep it more solid. I just stack my posters in there (with acid free liner in between each) and put books on top of it if I need to flatten what I just put in. I leave the books for a few weeks. If you seriously have no room anywhere for just one portfolio to lie on its face (surely there must be somewhere??), I supposed they will flatten anyway eventually, if you have them sandwiched in there, but it could take a very long time before they lie flat when you open the portfolio unless it's packed tightly... which you could easily do. Just get more poster board and load it up (is what I use even poster board actually?? I use those thicker almost foamy-textured boards that you get at Michael's. Whatever those are called) :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    samjam said:

samjam said:

samjam said:

You should be fine, just measure before hand so you know how big the posterboard has to be. Baltimore is actually one of the 3 or 4 posters I have stored!
    I use this same method and also have the Baltimore poster. I store about 8-10 posters in each board, with glassine sheets in between each print. Also, try Wal-mart for the tri-fold boards, they tend to be a couple dollars cheaper than Staples, and same brand (Elmer's I believe).
  • Options
    If they have been stored in the tube a long time it can take some time. I finally got to my collection and it took months to have them release enough before I could put them in the new flat file. If they have been stored for a long time, just simply let them out and unroll a little themselves. Then look to flat store them somewhere. Portfolios work to. I laid 3 folding tables out and tried to attack 9 at a time. It took several months. I used stacked cds, weights, glasses and would almost surround the edges. Some prints would flip a beer glass right off the table. Most of the prints fit in the flat file but the bigger ones I have in a portfolio. I like the posterboard idea.
  • Options

If they have been stored in the tube a long time it can take some time. I finally got to my collection and it took months to have them release enough before I could put them in the new flat file. If they have been stored for a long time, just simply let them out and unroll a little themselves. Then look to flat store them somewhere. Portfolios work to. I laid 3 folding tables out and tried to attack 9 at a time. It took several months. I used stacked cds, weights, glasses and would almost surround the edges. Some prints would flip a beer glass right off the table. Most of the prints fit in the flat file but the bigger ones I have in a portfolio. I like the posterboard idea.

If you put heavy objects on it where should they be placed just corners? Surrounding it completely on the edges? Or everywhere including the middle?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

If you put heavy objects on it where should they be placed just corners? Surrounding it completely on the edges? Or everywhere including the middle?
    All over is best IMO (not that you asked me, sorry).
    BTW, what Out of My Mind and Time said about letting them just sit after taking them out of the tube and loosen up themselves for a while - that's good advice. I do that too. I tried to rush it once and forced it flat right away with weight, and it ended up with a kind of ruffle-ish edge or whatever you want to call it. The paper just wasn't ready to be flat yet.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    edited September 2015

I have posters still in tubes I plan on putting in a portfolio, I don't have room to lay out a poster for more than a day nor is the floor space safe due to room and dog, any ideas how to flatten posters with limited space?

I have the same problem.The only flat surface large enough to flatten a poster is the floor which is not safe from the cats. I ended up buying a folding desk for other reasons so I use that and just have to climb around it & move it for a few days. I stacked some books on the edge to prevent the cats from jumping up on it. You can get the same result from a cheap plastic folding table from Wal-Mart or target, the kind people use for beer pong or to hold food at outdoor parties. I almost bought that but I wanted something with a smooth surface.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Alternately, if you get a solid enough portfolio, it doesn't even matter if the pets walk on it.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    ldent42 said:

I have the same problem.The only flat surface large enough to flatten a poster is the floor which is not safe from the cats. I ended up buying a folding desk for other reasons so I use that and just have to climb around it & move it for a few days. I stacked some books on the edge to prevent the cats from jumping up on it. You can get the same result from a cheap plastic folding table from Wal-Mart or target, the kind people use for beer pong or to hold food at outdoor parties. I almost bought that but I wanted something with a smooth surface.
    I find if you put the cats in between poster board with some heavy weights on top they flatten out pretty quick.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    on2legs said:

ldent42 said:

I find if you put the cats in between poster board with some heavy weights on top they flatten out pretty quick.
    :nuh_uh:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    ldent42 said:

on2legs said:

ldent42 said:

:nuh_uh:
    How else am I going to frame them??
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore