Options

Mad Season

joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
Live at the Moore or Sonic Evolution lp and why?
1998: Cleveland
2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
2003: Cleveland, Columbus
2004: Toledo
2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
2008: Washington D.C.
2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
2012: Atlanta
2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
2014: Cincinnati

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    Moore. Its the real deal & they did one hell of a job polishing up the show's sound. Its vintage Mike McCready IMO. 95 he was on another level.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    Sorry, meant to say I don't have either LP. I bought the super deluxe MS 3x disc set in 13' or was it 14'? Ah, who cares. I'd buy that again instead of either of the LPs. Definitive Mad Season set.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,626

Moore. Its the real deal & they did one hell of a job polishing up the show's sound. Its vintage Mike McCready IMO. 95 he was on another level.

This is the correct answer. Mark Lanegan also makes an appearance which is always a plus. I do enjoy Sonic Evolution, but it just doesn't seem like a Mad Season show, just a collection of musicians and singers.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    edited September 2015
    Sonic evolution doesn't have very good sound anyway, and I've heard the Moore does, so I would also pick the Moore if you're going for one or the other. Nothing wrong with getting both, of course. They are very different. One is really Mad Season, the other not so much, and there is an orchestra.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,781
    Moore sounds great nice separation and sounds good loud!
    I dig it.
    Sonic Evo sounds flat.
    I turned it off half way through the first spin.Im going play it again in time but it sounds muddy.No separation of the instruments. :(
    Bummer that some albums sound better than others.Why can't they all sound good.

-Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited September 2015
    The Moore vinyl is mastered/cut by Kevin Gray. Enough said... Sounds amazing!
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,917
    All you have to do is listen to each version of "Wake Up" and it's pretty much, "DUH!". I'm not sure what the thinking was behind their singer choice for the version on Sonic Evolution. Anyone know why they just didn't have Cornell or even Lanegan sing the song?
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    So...... I went with both :)
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options

All you have to do is listen to each version of "Wake Up" and it's pretty much, "DUH!". I'm not sure what the thinking was behind their singer choice for the version on Sonic Evolution. Anyone know why they just didn't have Cornell or even Lanegan sing the song?

I would have to agree. It just sounds terrible. I'll just listen to the moore and probably never again for Sonic Evolution.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,989
    You mean you don't like "Wake up young may-un. It's time to wake up?"?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313

Cornell would have been perfect for it, and Lanegan would have been an amazing surprise. The Patti Smith impersonator that they had instead was pretty bad
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,917
    goldrush said:

Cornell would have been perfect for it, and Lanegan would have been an amazing surprise. The Patti Smith impersonator that they had instead was pretty bad
    It's completely baffling. I wanted to like it, but I have ears.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654

goldrush said:

It's completely baffling. I wanted to like it, but I have ears.
    It ain't great, that's for sure. But I kind of admire the thinking that was likely behind it. I assume they decided to do that for variety. To shake it up a bit, introduce different sounds and styles... I appreciate that very much. Too bad it didn't work out this time though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I think Kim does a fine job. She's not Layne, but she is part of the local scene, has tight McCready connections, and I've been a fan of hers for decades. So I applaud the effort, and know it was heartfelt. It's all subjective, anyway. Many on these boards love when Corin Tucker guests with Ed on vocals and others compare her to a cat in heat. I guess I generally enjoy these guest appearances. They don't have to sound like the original. They add their own flavor.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08