Options

Question to the ones who attended many tours in Europe this year.

joyodongojoyodongo Posts: 36
edited November 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
This may not be new. In fact, there's a thread: 'Best and Worse of 2006 tour in Europe', but many people answer after having benn in 2-3 concerts. I was in three of them, but this is not enough, I think.
So, the question is, for people who went to MANY shows:

Which WAS, FOR YOU, the best gig this year in Europe?

I'm talking about everyhing: setlist, band implication, sound quality, crowd....
Dublin 23/8/06 - Vitoria 2/9/06 - Madrid 7/9/06
Lisbon 8/6/07 - Madrid 9/6/07 - London 18/6/07 - Düsseldorf 21/6/07 - Copenhagen 26/6/07
New York 24/6/08 - New York 25/6/08
Rotterdam 13/8/09 - Berlin 15/8/09 - Manchester 17/8/09 - London 18/8/09 - Seattle 21/9/09 - Seattle 22/9/09
Bilbao 9/7/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    the ones I have the best memory of because I had the best time there:
    Lisbon I and Zagreb.

524% subjective.
  • Options
    wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Best gig....not necessairly the one I enjoyed the most, but the best show in terms of what they played....

erm, Reading. Seeing as I was sobbing like a little baby when they played Crown of Thorns, that really ought to top the lists!!! Then I was sobbing to Baba and then Ledbetter!!!!!! :D

Second place would go to Lisbon night 1. Many say night 2 was better coz it had more rarities, longer show. But for me night 1 worked better. I guess it felt more natural.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • Options
    ohhh yeah wash_ i remember, i love Reading... maybe that was the most emotional show for me too, together with Dublin.... and I hold Zagreb right up there too.
    Salut baloo
  • Options
    Berlin has to be ranked amongst the best shows...ever!! LOL :D
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
  • Options
    I saw 5 shows this year. My personal favourites are Lisbon II and Milan, although when i think back Verona gets better and better.

Lisbon II was amazing not because the setlist was more varied and they played longer. We were against the centre rail about halfway back in the crowd. Sometimes we couldn't see much but it just didn't matter. As the show progressed it just felt more and more special to me. And when they played Garden that just sealed it for me. Most haunting version i've ever heard, with the crowd loudly singing the high part in the first chorus and Eddie singing it lower.

Milan was all about the crowd! Setlist wasn't super-special, but it was nicely put together. MFC and Faithful make a rare appearance, Picture in a Frame, Man of the Hour too. LOUDEST singing ever during Daughter! It was just nuts!

Lisbon II, Verona, and Milan. Amazing shows.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    Well, of you really wanna know the answer to this question, the real answer, then someone who's done ALL shows will give you a proper answer. But its pretty much impossible not to be subjective...
    for me its more than just how the band sounded...its the crowd, feeling that day, vibe between the band and the crowd...everything.
    so its hard to be objective there, plus not that many ppl have been to ALL shows...
    Ive only been to 6 :D, and Zagreb def takes the cake. Followed by Milan and Prague :) Awesome shows, setlist, crowd, meetups, parties, everything :) Not that the other 3 shows were bad, but these 3 were special. OK, Vienna was great too, minus the number of crowdsurfers on my side :rolleyes:
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    Well, of you really wanna know the answer to this question, the real answer, then someone who's done ALL shows will give you a proper answer. But its pretty much impossible not to be subjective...
    for me its more than just how the band sounded...its the crowd, feeling that day, vibe between the band and the crowd...everything.
    so its hard to be objective there, plus not that many ppl have been to ALL shows...
    Ive only been to 6 :D, and Zagreb def takes the cake. Followed by Milan and Prague :) Awesome shows, setlist, crowd, meetups, parties, everything :) Not that the other 3 shows were bad, but these 3 were special. OK, Vienna was great too, minus the number of crowdsurfers on my side :rolleyes:

I agree, the day of the show is very important! Lisbon both days were great. It was so hot, but there was a great little cafe opposite the venue where we could sit and have some food/drink. The second day, we sat under the shade in the GA queue and got talking to an American couple who were really nice!

Verona was just great until it started raining! Loads of PJ fans met that afternoon across from the venue at a cafe/restaurant and we all sat there talking about anything and everything. It feels great to do it because when it's time to actually go to the show, you feel like you're going with all your friends! It has a big impact on the enjoyment of the show!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options

Verona was just great until it started raining! Loads of PJ fans met that afternoon across from the venue at a cafe/restaurant and we all sat there talking about anything and everything. It feels great to do it because when it's time to actually go to the show, you feel like you're going with all your friends! It has a big impact on the enjoyment of the show!

Yes, exactly. a big impact on the show def has the time before the show itself. Thats why I didnt enjoy Verona and Berlin that much, but for some ppl those were amazing shows. To each their own. Im grateful ive seen them at all those shows ;)
  • Options
    Yes, exactly. a big impact on the show def has the time before the show itself. Thats why I didnt enjoy Verona and Berlin that much, but for some ppl those were amazing shows. To each their own. Im grateful ive seen them at all those shows ;)

I was so pissed that it was heavily raining that day in Verona. But looking back i think it was brilliant! And i'm glad it did rain!

• Options
    I was so pissed that it was heavily raining that day in Verona. But looking back i think it was brilliant! And i'm glad it did rain!
    Like I said: to each their own ;)
    It wasnt just the rain for me, i was mad cause i got in town later than i shouldve. and it totally messed up my plans. so, its not always as you expect. things happen. so speaking in terms of before the show, during the show and after, this wasnt the best one, but sure it was a good show ;)

But Milan on the other hand was AMAZING! :D
  • Options
    Like I said: to each their own ;)
    It wasnt just the rain for me, i was mad cause i got in town later than i shouldve. and it totally messed up my plans. so, its not always as you expect. things happen. so speaking in terms of before the show, during the show and after, this wasnt the best one, but sure it was a good show ;)

But Milan on the other hand was AMAZING! :D

Damn right! I was just speechless afterwards. That crowd...i can't do it justice just by talking about it. And Man of the Hour mid-set? Gorgeous!

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    the near 2 bottles of wine I ingested certainly much improved the enjoyment of that show for me! :D

Milan was great...but not having had the day build-up and being on my own for it (instead of with the usual suspects in the pit) stops it from being on my 'the best time' list...still very high on 'the best show' list.