Options

In memory of...

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hi, my old friend :)

Never feel guilty! My dad and I used to meet for dinner at this great Italian restaurant, just the two of us. Some of our best conversations, plus he was free to eat how and what he wanted. It was his joy, and my joy when my stepmother wasn't around to scold him for or prevent him from it.

I hope it was a good time for you both. So precious, and I understand the bonding in that aftermath.

Hope you're enjoying a full and happy belly (and soul).
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    Seven years ago today my family lost one of its brightest lights. My baby brother passed at the age of 22. He had an undiagnosed heart defect that never made itself known until it took him from us in the blink of an eye. He was was a generous soul with a seemingly endless well of joy inside him. It hurts every year but this year is a little bit tougher as he would have been 30 on December 4. We all whine about getting older and he never even got the chance. I miss his unwavering spirit and his smile. A smile that still brings joy to my heart.

Kurt & Ashley(sister in law)

Kurt as a wee tyke.

I will be forever grateful for the gift he left behind, my niece Kailee. She will be 7 in February and has his smile and spirit.

Today I mourn, but I will also celebrate those still here. I miss him everyday but he will forever be the brightest star in the nights sky and with me forever.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    ND :hug:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    ND, I join SD in sending the warmth. Your last comments speak volumes.

And I may bitch about the issues related to getting older, but getting older itself? No fucking way. It's precious.

Hope you're treating yourself well today.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    It's sad when the love is strong but the picture fades and you wish you could just have them back and wonder how they would have evolved to an older age with you in good memories and sentiment
    I lost a baby sister and although we did not grow together she still felt like she belonged and I felt the loving needed responsibility of big sister and cared for her although she passed on at age 7 I was 16 I felt kind of sad we could not share a future together as family and friends as was sorry our family situation was a mess
    I hope you still dream of him xx oo
  • Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss, JWP.

From here, that longing for having them back visits in memories and never-fading moments whether they reside in my mind or in a tangible sense.

And yes, once in awhile, I have wonderful albeit brief dreams of him. A smile, hug, flash of the energy. Thankful for those :)
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    On October 25, 2007, our family lost my amazing dad, Eugene Fowlkes. His death devastated us. He was 79 but seemed in good health and his death was unexpected. I try to look at it the way my own doctor expressed it to me--"He had a good life, and a good death."

He and I were very close and I still think of things I'd like to talk with him about. Or I'll read a book that I know he'll enjoy. We were so alike in our temperaments and especially our senses of humor. Polar opposites in our political views, which we kidded each other about constantly.

So today, I'm sharing a little of my dad with you. Here's the two of us taking a nap together when I was 1 week old.

He left home at 17, right after graduating from high school, to work for AT&T. He worked for them for 44 and a half years, as he would say--never rounding it up to 45.

Here's a picture of him out with some of his co-workers and their spouses. It's carefully labeled on the back with everyone's names and the date June 13, 1947, Houston, Texas. My dad, who was 19, is the carefree looking young man in the back holding up his glass.

When he was a teenager, he built and flew model airplanes. He belonged to a local club and would ride the bus about 10 miles across town to a field where the members flew their planes. He entered his planes in many contests and won several prizes. Here's a picture of the club members in 1944. My dad is in the front row, second from the left.

After he retired from AT&T, he took up the hobby again. This is a picture of him about a week before he died with his newest plane.

He wanted to get my husband's MG in the background of the picture. They shared a love for old British sports cars and would work on cars together and go to car shows.

When I think of my dad, I often think of his usual goodbye: "Keep smiling." I hope these pictures bring a smile to some of you, as they always do to me.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Who Princess, :hug: Thank you for sharing stories of your dad here. He sounds like an awesome guy (and I love the photo of the two of you at the top). While today may be a sad day, I hope it is also filled with love and smiles for you. :heart:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Who P, I AM smiling and writing this through tears. Actual flowing tears.

How lucky were we to have such fathers? Happy to share this sense of gratitude with you.

Thank you for this. Truly beautiful from this viewpoint, can imagine his/its impact on you.

Keep smiling indeed. I'm off to get a kleenex :)
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Oh, Who Princess, those are wonderful photos. Your dad sounds like he was amazing. "A good life and a good death" and a daughter who loves him and still thinks about him - what could be better than that? Good wishes to you today.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. Sometimes I'm surprised at how much I still miss my dad, but mostly when I think of him the memories are happy ones. Putting together that tribute to him gave me the chance to remember so many good times.

And hedonist, I so agree! We were truly fortunate to have such loving fathers.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    :hug: Who Princess, sorry for your loss, I truly understand the loss. Sending my love to you.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    This was a good idea Hedo!

A week ago, I just had the passing of the 2 year mark since I lost one of my closest friends, Sherry. She passed on October 19, 2013. I was with her. It was cancer, lung cancer that spread throughout her entire body. She was considerably older than me, but when I started working at The Standard she was my trainer and really took me in like a daughter, she was so sweet and always full of great advice, and I miss that desperately. And I've had so many things happen in the last 2 years that I wish she was here for. I got a hummingbird tattoo in memory of her, as she had a hummingbird feeder and just delighted so in them. She is and always will be in my heart.

Also, it's been almost a year since I lost Tabby Lu...my sweet kitty....that's coming up on Nov. 23rd. I miss her so much. She was my little kitty angel.
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,425
    Lost my GREAT friend of almost 40 years this morning at the age of 50 to Stage 4 Lung Cancer. He leaves behind 2 GREAT daughters( ages 14 & 15) and many friends. I will sorely miss him and so will MANY of his friends.

https://youtu.be/PhsCIzGX1Pw
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, cutz. You posted about him just the other day.

Wishing peace for you and his family, all in your own time.

May all the precious moments stay.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,459
    WOW!

ND.....way, way, way too soon :bawling:

WP....actually, kind of nice....your day lived a good life. what's that sweet ride behind him in the plane photo?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

That's Bob on the right.
    He passed in 1986 at the age of 19.

My other two cousins, Paul & John, survive.
  • Options
    imalive said:

WP....actually, kind of nice....your day lived a good life. what's that sweet ride behind him in the plane photo?

That's Glenn's 67 MGBGT. He and my dad restored it together. They also restored a 61 Austin-Healey Sprite.

Every year there's a classic foreign car meet in Dallas. Glenn and Dad would go to it together. Kindred spirits. :smile:

Rollings, so sorry about your cousin. That's much too young. I love the pic though. I'd forgotten the fun of flying a kite.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I somehow missed rollings' post - I too offer sympathies (funny how time has no restrictions on that front).

That photo is sweet; looks like the epitome of the freedom and good times of childhood.
  • Options
    cutz, my sincerest sympathies.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    What with Thanksgiving and all (and really, just fucking life in general), been thinking about my dad and took a sweet stroll through the photo album I put together after he died.

Can't believe I didn't see it till now, but the first pic is from the day moving out after having bought my own place. Kind of weird to move out of the home he and I shared - the life we shared just us two - after he and my mom split.

The album ended with a picture taken on the same day, him dancing with my sister, sort of a dosey-doe.

That face - happiness! The face of love.

Goddamnit I miss him. His hugs and wisdom and humor.

HIM.

Grateful I had him for the time I did. Eternal thanks for my being his daughter, and for him being my father.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
    hedonist said:

What with Thanksgiving and all (and really, just fucking life in general), been thinking about my dad and took a sweet stroll through the photo album I put together after he died.

Can't believe I didn't see it till now, but the first pic is from the day moving out after having bought my own place. Kind of weird to move out of the home he and I shared - the life we shared just us two - after he and my mom split.

The album ended with a picture taken on the same day, him dancing with my sister, sort of a dosey-doe.

That face - happiness! The face of love.

Goddamnit I miss him. His hugs and wisdom and humor.

HIM.

Grateful I had him for the time I did. Eternal thanks for my being his daughter, and for him being my father.

Wonderful, heartfelt words, Hedo. I'm guessing he thought you were pretty awesome yourself. :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    hedonist said:

I somehow missed rollings' post - I too offer sympathies (funny how time has no restrictions on that front).

That photo is sweet; looks like the epitome of the freedom and good times of childhood.

thanks hedonist, thanks who p.

my uncle took some awesome pics and shared his collelection with me.

i miss my dad too, hedonist.
    :murica:
  • Options
    Brian and rollings, thanks. Hugs to you and your respective sweethearts.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713
    hedonist said:

Brian and rollings, thanks. Hugs to you and your respective sweethearts.

Big hugs back, Hedo.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonist said:

Perhaps because it's Rosh Hashana and I've spent the day nicely, happily and somewhat melancholily (new word?) buzzed with our kitties and going through some old photos and stuff, and that this holiday seven years ago was my father's funeral, felt the need to just get it out. Been many years since I formally celebrated this or other Jewish holidays but in retrospect, the date of his burial was fitting in so many ways, fitting of who he was. His religion meant much to him; having his faith took more from his life as a young teen than I can comprehend, yet in turn taught and gave him more character and grace than I can ever hope to achieve.

While I don't post personal / family photos (typically stick to those of nice bud and our cats!) wanted to share this old one of him. In Pisa, a month after turning 23, fresh from fighting in / surviving WWII. The happiness on his face right there was a constant; it was in his heart as well, genuinely so. He lived with humor and gratitude for all he had, demonstrated how you simply can't take anything for granted, to see what and who are truly worth being thankful for and act accordingly.

That's Cat #2 aka George sniffing the pic. Just FYI.

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a sad thread...though any and all sentiments are welcome. Just thought it'd be nice to have a place to share the love and memories of those we've lost, animals included.

For what it's worth, I've been smiling while writing. Still am :)

Bump. For the love.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Kindred, Faxxxi :hug:
  • Options
    Fits, at this happy moment :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIMNEakHbyo
  • Options
    I've been thinking about my dad a lot lately...I wish he were still around to hear his voice and words of wisdom amidst all of...this.

So a bump for him, and for anyone else who has lost a loved one, virus-related or not.  Plus I just miss him, goddammit.

https://youtu.be/bocDpFVhyDw
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    hedonist said:
    I've been thinking about my dad a lot lately...I wish he were still around to hear his voice and words of wisdom amidst all of...this.

So a bump for him, and for anyone else who has lost a loved one, virus-related or not.  Plus I just miss him, goddammit.

https://youtu.be/bocDpFVhyDw
    Jedi, Listen carefully. He's still talking.  :hug:

Today was my grandpa's birthday. Super dude. I used to tease him and say that I wanted a nose just like him. He'd laugh. Grandpa had a really big nose. :lol:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1