Options

What would be your 10 song album that foot printed your music life ?

If you were to put an album together made up of ten songs that will always be a major part of your life ,what would they be?
From when you were a pup and growing up ,not songs that are your top ten favourites but were definitely building blocks of your musical passion
1 KISS - DETROIT ROCK CITY
2. THE BABYS - GIVE ME YOUR LOVE
3. BAD COMPANY -SHOOTING STAR
4 JOURNEY - WINDS OF MARCH
5 PINK FLOYD -WISH YOU WERE HERE
6 UFO - IM A LOSER
7 SCORPIONS - HOLIDAY
8 GUNS N ROSES - PARADISE CITY
9 PEARL JAM - ALIVE
10 BONJAH - MOMENTS WE BREATHE
Could easily be a fifty song album but that would be ten that built my music passion

Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    edited September 2015
    1. John Williams - Star Wars Theme
    2. Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
    3. Pearl Jam - Even Flow
    4. Smashing Pumpkins - Rocket
    5. Blur - Blue Jeans
    6. Dave Matthews Band - #41
    7. Ryan Adams - Dear Chicago
    8. The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice
    9. The National - Mr. November
    10. LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends

Yeah but his could easily be a 50 song project. I've tried to limit it to the 10 most important touchstone songs from my life.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited September 2015
    What a great question!

1. Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald-Gordon Lightfoot
    2.Red Hill Mining Town-U2
    3.You Can't Always Get What You Want-The Rolling Stones
    4.Walk This Way-Aerosmith (also loved the Run dmc version)
    5.Over the Hills and Far Away-Led Zeppelin
    6.Whiter Shade of Pale-Procol Harum
    7.Alive-Pearl Jam
    8.El Condor Pasa-Simon & Garfunkel
    9.Moonshadow-Cat Stevens
    10.A Sunday Kind of Love-Etta James
    Edit-Switching to Etta, I loved Etta before Muddy.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    A very difficult proposition. Twenty would have been a little easier. "Alive" would have come in at 11.

1. The Clash - London Calling
    2. Social Distortion - Telling Them
    3. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising
    4. Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come
    5. David Bowie - Heroes
    6. Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau - Eku'u Morning Dew
    7. John Coltrane - Blue Train
    8. Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
    9. Cheap Trick - Surrender
    10. Prince - Purple Rain
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Great question I will give some thought. I holla back atcha tomorrow.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    edited September 2015
    01. Pearl Jam - Even Flow
    02. Kings of Leon - Use Somebody
    03. U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name
    04. U2 - Vertigo (First ''Real" Music I listened to.)
    05. Green Day - Holiday (I hate that band now. Oh my god they are really bad.)
    06. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication (Hate this band too now lol.)
    07. Black Keys - Lonely Boy
    08. MUSE - Supermassive Blackhole
    09. Tenacious D - Tribute ('Cause it's funny and epic at the same time.)
    10. Coldplay - Viva La Vida (Hate them too. I almost hate all the bands I REALLY grew up with.)

note: I'm 19 now. Suggetions are always welcome..
    Post edited by JustaPJFan on
  • Options
    EchoesOnMarsEchoesOnMars Reading, Pennsylvania Posts: 422
    1.) The Beatles- Here Comes the Sun
    2.) Pink Floyd- Us and Them
    3.) Led Zeppelin- That's the Way
    4.) Foo Fighters- Aurora
    5.) Pearl Jam- Oceans
    6.) The Black Keys- You're the One
    7.) Eddie Vedder- Hard Sun
    8.) Soundgarden- Zero Chance/ Switch Opens
    9.) Kings of Leon- Wait For Me
    10.) Paul McCartney- Band on the Run
    Philadelphia 2013 (Night 1)
    Philadelphia 2016 (Night 2)
    Upper Darby 2016 (Night 2) (Temple of the Dog)

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    This is gonna be hard....so many left out! But these are 10 songs that were transformative for me.

1. Paradise City- Guns N Roses
    2. Jumpin Jack Flash- The Rolling Stones
    3. Baba O'Riley- The Who
    4. The Sound of Silence- Simon & Garfunkel
    5. Given to Fly- Pearl Jam
    6. Jesus of Suburbia- Green Day
    7. Blackbird- The Beatles
    8. Pig- Dave Matthews Band
    9. Impossible Germany- Wilco
    10. Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    1 - Alive - just incredible still today.
    2 - Photograph - Def Leppard - Pyromania was the 1st full album i totally fell in love with.
    3 - Just Live Heaven - The Cure
    4 - The Living Years - Mike and the Mechanics - Song was huge when my father was sick and dying with cancer. i swear i heard it every 10 minutes for a few months. brings out a lot of emotions to hear even today 27 years later
    5 - Friends - Elton John - Beautiful song about friendship
    6 - You Dropped the Bomb on Me - Theme song for HS Basketball team in 1984. great memories
    7 - Time - Pink Floyd
    8 - Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
    9 - Smells Like Teen Spirit - still sounds great and started the revolution away from hair metal.
    10 - Overcome - Live - song was played endlessly in the days and weeks after 9/11. wasn't written for it but was perfect at the time.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited September 2015
    Love this question!

1. "What a Difference a Day Makes" - Dinah Washington (a fave of my mom's, heard a lot as a child, and Ella and many other jazz/blues artists)
    2. "Master Blaster" - Stevie Wonder (lots of Stevie on family vacations)
    3. "My Sharona" - The Knack (1st concert I was allowed to go to with friends but no adult - we were YOUNG too! Started a trend of independence connected to music that would last my whole life so far)
    4. "Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd (loved Floyd from a young age)
    5. "London Calling" - The Clash (saw them live as a very young teen and changed my life forever - my music life and my regular life too)
    6. "The Message" - Grandmaster Flash (first time I was part of a new scene without realizing it was a scene yet. Also continued my love of socially-relevant music.)
    7. "Bring the Noise" - Public Enemy (just a perfect social justice song that both rocks and jams)
    8. "Fitzcarraldo" - The Frames/Glen Hansard (my favorite song about romantic relationships and rising up from the ashes when they go badly)
    9. "Grace" - Jeff Buckley (simply the soundtrack to my personal growth; most important song to my life if I could only pick one)
    10. "Arsonists Lullabye" - Hozier (First new artist that I was overwhelmed by in probably 15 yrs. This young guy is an incredible songwriter, love most of his songs but this is one of the top 3 for me)
  • Options
    samjam said:

This is gonna be hard....so many left out! But these are 10 songs that were transformative for me.

3. Baba O'Riley- The Who

Hey SamJam, not to crash your list, but since you're one of the only people I talked to on this board about my Hozier obsession, though you might like this clip of them doing Blackbird. Hope it's not sacrilege! Honestly, it made me cry when I heard it live, and I don't do that crying shit at shows almost ever. :) Hope you like it, but it's ok if you hate it, you can say that too ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7EeMu6ORq4
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    edited September 2015
    pljam said:

If you were to put an album together made up of ten songs that will always be a major part of your life ,what would they be?
    From when you were a pup and growing up ,not songs that are your top ten favourites but were definitely building blocks of your musical passion

Ok my choices are coming from a point of view that these songs influenced me into different genres, styles and eras of music.

1. Small Axe.....Bob Marley & The Wailers....this was the very first format of music I listened to while I lived in Jamaica. I was there with my father who toured the island as a sound system and lighting engineer. At first it was ska I wasn't into that format too young, late 60's then reggae hit the airwaves and it took off. That song was Bob transitioning from ska over to reggae. From the Burnin' album that also produced Get up Stand up, I Shot The Sheriff and Burnin' and Lootin'.

2. Voodoo Child....Jimmy Hendrix....my introduction to psychedelic rock which led to listening to the blues at a young age. Going from reggae to turning music up loud and as my love for rock started to grow.

3. La Villa Strangiato....RUSH....THE start for me with instrumentals. From the Hemi album, I was just hooked on the tempo changes, psychedelic lead guitar rock really hooked me to music without words. Which led to my liking of artists such Joe Satriani and Jean~Luc Ponty etc. Then the madness began with my love for my favorite rock band RUSH kicked in.

4. London Calling....THE CLASH...the song that woke me up to British rock of which we heard some while I was in Jamaica. I loved the short line *phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust*. This also drew me towards punk rock music as well.

5. (Not Just) Knee Deep (remix).....Parliament Funkadelic...I was a DJ in school and with this song I learned that craft well. Even though it was a 10 minute song on the album it was15 on the remix. George Clinton's world of funk music and psychedelia was too captivating for me. I could play this song, joined the party and danced till the walls of the student union would sweat.

6. I Will Follow....U2...my intro to the 80's era rock music and Mtv

7. Voyage to Atlantis....The Isley Brothers....while djing those house parties we HAD to have slow jams and these brothers had some of the best. Not one of their best slow jams but it's THE song I liked my them the most. Especially from the time I first heard it live at my first concert ever Capital Centre, MD 1978.

8. Disposable Heroes...Metallica....I think this was first time I ever heard thrash metal. While in a record store flipping through vinyls I heard the riffs and had to ask who was that and I had to have it MoP. From there that led to all the other forms of metal and the bands like Prong to Slayer.

9. Language of Violence...Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy....my jump into rap with a political edge. Which led to my continuing friendship with Michael Franti. The lyrics to this song really impacted me in that I understood what it was liked to be bullied and how to rectify it.

10. Back in Black....AC/DC....not sure why but the song the album just clicked with me in the early 80's. Some years later I got the opportunity to wait on these guys and their road crew at Denny's. They were very generous too, especially after I showed them I was at their show at the Hampton Coliseum, Hampton VA.

HONORABLE MENTION....if I'm ever in the mood for country music this song comes to mind.

Thunder Rolls....Garth Brooks....as you can see I have pretty diverse history in music.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I can't limit it to 10 songs - because my list is changing every day!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

You can do it! I have complete faith in you. We are all going to forget important songs and kick ourselves later...join in on the fun! I already want to substitute 3 songs on my list. :)
    Just list a few from your childhood, then the teen years, and a few recent game changers. And you always have the honorable mention option.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387

I know it's virtually impossible to pick ten,as soon as I posted mine easily another ten were in line before another ten lots of ten
  • Options
    g under p said:

pljam said:

Ok my choices are coming from a point of view that these songs influenced me into different genres, styles and eras of music.

1. Small Axe.....Bob Marley & The Wailers....this was the very first format of music I listened to while I lived in Jamaica. I was there with my father who toured the island as a sound system and lighting engineer. At first it was ska I wasn't into that format too young, late 60's then reggae hit the airwaves and it took off. That song was Bob transitioning from ska over to reggae. From the Burnin' album that also produced Get up Stand up, I Shot The Sheriff and Burnin' and Lootin'.

2. Voodoo Child....Jimmy Hendrix....my introduction to psychedelic rock which led to listening to the blues at a young age. Going from reggae to turning music up loud and as my love for rock started to grow.

3. La Villa Strangiato....RUSH....THE start for me with instrumentals. From the Hemi album, I was just hooked on the tempo changes, psychedelic lead guitar rock really hooked me to music without words. Which led to my liking of artists such Joe Satriani and Jean~Luc Ponty etc. Then the madness began with my love for my favorite rock band RUSH kicked in.

4. London Calling....THE CLASH...the song that woke me up to British rock of which we heard some while I was in Jamaica. I loved the short line *phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust*. This also drew me towards punk rock music as well.

5. (Not Just) Knee Deep (remix).....Parliament Funkadelic...I was a DJ in school and with this song I learned that craft well. Even though it was a 10 minute song on the album it was15 on the remix. George Clinton's world of funk music and psychedelia was too captivating for me. I could play this song, joined the party and danced till the walls of the student union would sweat.

6. I Will Follow....U2...my intro to the 80's era rock music and Mtv

7. Voyage to Atlantis....The Isley Brothers....while djing those house parties we HAD to have slow jams and these brothers had some of the best. Not one of their best slow jams but it's THE song I liked my them the most. Especially from the time I first heard it live at my first concert ever Capital Centre, MD 1978.

8. Disposable Heroes...Metallica....I think this was first time I ever heard thrash metal. While in a record store flipping through vinyls I heard the riffs and had to ask who was that and I had to have it MoP. From there that led to all the other forms of metal and the bands like Prong to Slayer.

9. Language of Violence...Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy....my jump into rap with a political edge. Which led to my continuing friendship with Michael Franti. The lyrics to this song really impacted me in that I understood what it was liked to be bullied and how to rectify it.

10. Back in Black....AC/DC....not sure why but the song the album just clicked with me in the early 80's. Some years later I got the opportunity to wait on these guys and their road crew at Denny's. They were very generous too, especially after I showed them I was at their show at the Hampton Coliseum, Hampton VA.

HONORABLE MENTION....if I'm ever in the mood for country music this song comes to mind.

Thunder Rolls....Garth Brooks....as you can see I have pretty diverse history in music.

Peace
    Great indepth response ,enjoyed the read✌
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Interesting question!

Will probably revise this since time is short this AM but these are the ones that just popped into my head:

Beach Boys: Don't Worry Baby
    Bob Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone
    Jimi Hendrix: Manic Depression
    Cream: I feel Free
    Harvey Mandel: Lights Out
    The Clash: London Calling
    Psychedelic Furs: India
    The Replacements: Left of the Dial
    Pearl Jam: Alive
    Dinosaur Jr: Just Like Heaven
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    JH6056 said:

samjam said:

3. Baba O'Riley- The Who

Hey SamJam, not to crash your list, but since you're one of the only people I talked to on this board about my Hozier obsession, though you might like this clip of them doing Blackbird. Hope it's not sacrilege! Honestly, it made me cry when I heard it live, and I don't do that crying shit at shows almost ever. :) Hope you like it, but it's ok if you hate it, you can say that too ;)

I love his voice, and I wish it was just him and the guitar, cause it's a cool little rendition. Coulda definitely done without the distracting drums/backup singers/etc. Thanks for posting! It definitely is hard to cover that song and do it well, for anyone. That song means to world to me. I have a tattoo of a blackbird on the back of my neck which I got after seeing Sir Paul for the first time in 2011.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    I tried to do this for a long time and had a list that grew and grew while I couldn't delete any as I thought of others, so I gave up. I can't possibly limit it to 10 songs. It's literally impossible for me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Man, this is tough... off the top of my head, these 10 (+1) are probably the most influential songs to my lifelong music tastes...

1. Slade - Run, Runaway
    2. Alabama - Mountain Music
    3. The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
    4. U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    5. Rush - 2112
    6. Dokken - In My Dreams
    7. Huey Lewis & The News - The Heart of Rock & Roll
    8. Cinderella - Nobody's Fool
    9. Pearl Jam - Alive
    10. Guster - Barrel of A Gun
    Hidden bonus track: Orbital - The Box
  • Options
    samjam said:

JH6056 said:

samjam said:

3. Baba O'Riley- The Who

I love his voice, and I wish it was just him and the guitar, cause it's a cool little rendition. Coulda definitely done without the distracting drums/backup singers/etc. Thanks for posting! It definitely is hard to cover that song and do it well, for anyone. That song means to world to me. I have a tattoo of a blackbird on the back of my neck which I got after seeing Sir Paul for the first time in 2011.
    Cool, glad you checked it out and dug it! Or, at least, dug him doing it if not all the other musicians :) That's a big deal getting a tattoo... it's a beautiful song!
  • Options

01. Pearl Jam - Even Flow
    02. Kings of Leon - Use Somebody
    03. U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name
    04. U2 - Vertigo (First ''Real" Music I listened to.)
    05. Green Day - Holiday (I hate that band now. Oh my god they are really bad.)
    06. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication (Hate this band too now lol.)
    07. Black Keys - Lonely Boy
    08. MUSE - Supermassive Blackhole
    09. Tenacious D - Tribute ('Cause it's funny and epic at the same time.)
    10. Coldplay - Viva La Vida (Hate them too. I almost hate all the bands I REALLY grew up with.)

note: I'm 19 now. Suggetions are always welcome..

You've got a lot more songs to hear!!!
  • Options
    ^^You've got good instincts JustaPJFan. My only suggestion would be to keep hanging around in 'Other Music' and instead of only paying attention to the threads of bands you recognize, research the ones you don't. Also, the fact that you're open to suggestions speaks volumes. I wish I would've been more like that when I was 19!
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    In no particular order...

AC/DC - Down Payment Blues.
    My first favourite band from age 11 until about 16. Going to see them again this December.

Pearl Jam - Hail Hail.
    My favourite PJ song and one that got a lot of play at parties back in the day. So much energy!

Nirvana - In Bloom.
    Has been overtaken by Breed as my favourite Nirvana track, but this one was first back then. Amazing production from Butch Vig.

R.E.M. - Orange Crush.
    I never tire of hearing this. Peak R.E.M. for me.

Grant Lee Buffalo - Mighty Joe Moon.
    Love love love this, such a cool vibe, amazing lyrics and voice!

Weezer - Say It Ain't So.
    What a passionate song. This got played a lot and of course, loudly! Cool video too.

Radiohead - Reckoner.
    This reminds me of living in London and 'In Rainbows' being on repeat for weeks/months.

Pixies - Number 13 Baby.
    From the album Doolittle, inspired me to get a Pixies tattoo. The second half of this song is just the catchiest.

Underworld - Shudder/King Of Snake.
    London times again and usually on the stereo with friends as a precursor to heading out to all-night raves.

PJ Harvey - We Float.
    Killer tune, holds special memories for someone very special.

As a lot of you have mentioned another 50 songs could be swapped out and replaced quite easily, but these are the ones for today.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options

AC/DC - Down Payment Blues.
    My first favourite band from age 11 until about 16. Going to see them again this December.

Pearl Jam - Hail Hail.
    My favourite PJ song and one that got a lot of play at parties back in the day. So much energy!

Nirvana - In Bloom.
    Has been overtaken by Breed as my favourite Nirvana track, but this one was first back then. Amazing production from Butch Vig.

R.E.M. - Orange Crush.
    I never tire of hearing this. Peak R.E.M. for me.

Grant Lee Buffalo - Mighty Joe Moon.
    Love love love this, such a cool vibe, amazing lyrics and voice!

Weezer - Say It Ain't So.
    What a passionate song. This got played a lot and of course, loudly! Cool video too.

Radiohead - Reckoner.
    This reminds me of living in London and 'In Rainbows' being on repeat for weeks/months.

Pixies - Number 13 Baby.
    From the album Doolittle, inspired me to get a Pixies tattoo. The second half of this song is just the catchiest.

Underworld - Shudder/King Of Snake.
    London times again and usually on the stereo with friends as a precursor to heading out to all-night raves.

PJ Harvey - We Float.
    Killer tune, holds special memories for someone very special.

As a lot of you have mentioned another 50 songs could be swapped out and replaced quite easily, but these are the ones for today.
    Really good read ,great to see someone acknowledge GRANT LEE - MIGHTY JOE MOON a seriously brilliant album,not a bad song on it,great call
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,938
    edited September 2015
    In no particular order...I was a late comer to music as I was more into sports an things growing up. My older sisters taste in music was a lot of cheesy 80s pop so that didn't leave much of an impression so I was left to find my own tastes in music along the way. And over the years it's been great to go back and discover so much great music.

1. Pearl Jam - Corduroy
    My first PJ album and Corduroy I remember stuck with me as a rocking catchy tune. Still like it today. Vitalogy was the pre cursor to going back and buying Ten and Vs.

2. Crash Test Dummies - Afternoons and Coffee Spoons. I remember hearing this one on the radio. A catchy little tune from the first album (CD) I ever bought. I wonder what happened to these guys?

3. Kiss - Talk to Me. Had the Unmasked album on cassette and played it pretty regularly. Definitely not their best album. Still love Kiss today. A guilty pleasure especially their old stuff!

4. Smash Hits 88 - Nothing but a Good Time (Poison) A compilation album. Bought this on vinyl (my first) just before vinyl probably became obsolete. Not many rock tracks on here. Full of pretty trashy 80s Pop.

5. Radiohead - The National Anthem. Helped sway me to try other genres of music. That good music didn't have to be rock! Massive Attack, Beastie Boys, Moby The Chemical Bros etc. Love the Kid A album.

6. Tool - The Grudge. Got me into heavier music. First Tool album I bought. Went back and bought some Of their earlier stuff too. Also showed me that Heavy metal (if u could call it that?) music could be clever, measured and have meaning.

7. Silverchair - The Door. Along with Frogstomp this album Helped usher in a new wave of great Australian music along with Powderfinger, Regurgitator, Spiderbait Grinspoon and Jebidiah. Great track. Not their best song though!

8. Joe Dolce - Shaddap You Face. Apparently I use to go singing this around the house as a 3 year old. Obviously left a mark on me. The words were pronuonced like shut up your face.

9. Neighbours - TV theme. Been an Aussie TV soap for 25 plus years. Still watch the watch today (another guilty pleasure) Originally sung by Aussie musician Barry Crocker and was actually released as a single.

10. Cmon Aussie Cmon - sports advertising theme sun by the Mojo singers for Australian Cricket. For those not from Australia, cricket is a passion during the summer. This was a song devised as an advertising jingle to create excitement about the upcoming cricket season. Created during the 70s and 80s I think and was changed each year depending on which international sides were touring that year. Has never been bettered!! A high point in catchy advertising. When this was played you knew Summer was here and the cricket was starting soon!
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

7. Silverchair - The Door. Along with Frogstomp this album Helped usher in a new wave of great Australian music along with Powderfinger, Regurgitator, Spiderbait Grinspoon and Jebidiah. Great track. Not their best song though!

Excellent choice! That whole album was killer, better than Frogstomp in my opinion (and Frogstomp was damn good!) The Door stands out for me as well. Pop Song & Roses are my other faves on the album.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    1. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    2. Pearl Jam - Alive
    3. Soundgarden - Outshined
    4. Headstones - Tweeter and the Monkeyman (Traveling Wilburys cover)
    5. Watchmen - Boneyard Tree
    6. Alice In Chains - Rooster
    7. I Mother Earth - Rain Will Fall
    8. Mad Season - I Don't Know Anything
    9. Mudhoney - Overblown
    10. Radiohead - Karma Police
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,938

Excellent choice! That whole album was killer, better than Frogstomp in my opinion (and Frogstomp was damn good!) The Door stands out for me as well. Pop Song & Roses are my other faves on the album.
    The Door is / was killer live too!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    Born in the U.S.A.---Bruce Springsteen
    Jumpin' Jack Flash---The Rolling Stones
    Smells Like Teen Spirit---Nirvana
    Release---Pearl Jam
    Ruby Soho---Rancid
    Baba O'Riley---The Who
    You Don't Know How It Feels---Tom Petty
    Stairway to Heaven---Led Zeppelin
    Under The Bridge---Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Every Breath You Take---The Police

I can't say this is my definitive ten songs but this is the list I came up with right now. So many songs have shaped my life for different reasons---I could list on and on.
  • Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    1. Pearl Jam - Alive
    2. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    3. Kashmir - Lampshade
    4. Suede - Still Life
    5. Metallica - Master of Puppets
    6. Soundgarden - Rusty Cage
    7. QOTSA - No One Knows
    8. Smashing Pumpkins - Mayonaise
    9. Foo Fighters - Everlong
    10.Temple of The Dog - Hunger Strike
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.