Anyone been to ICELAND?

I was thinking of going to Iceland next year for about a week to see the place and wondered if anyone has been there and has any comments to make about it.
late PJ bloomer- what was I doing in the 90's that I didn't know who Pearl Jam was???

Comments

• elenelen Posts: 188
    Iceland is such an amazing country! I'm sure that you will love it.
    I suggest you to rent a car and firstly explore the Reykjavik area and the Golden Circle (which includes Gullfoss, Geysir & Thingvellir) then head to the Sout coast, with a necessary stop at some waterfalls and at the Jokulsarlon lagoon. The part of the South coast near Vik is unbelievable!
    Then you take a guided tour in the stunning inland: search Landmannalaugar, Langisjor and Thorsmork on the web just to have an idea of what incredible landscapes you could see. It really seems to be on Mars! Keep in mind that inland could be almost inaccessible also during summer, due to severe flood and a lot of river crossing - if you are not used to drive in such conditions do not take the risk to do it with a rented car, even if is a 4WD.
    I truly recommend you to spare some more days, a week is definitely not enough to enjoy that wonderful place...
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
  • JogillJogill Posts: 4,549
    elen said:

Iceland is such an amazing country! I'm sure that you will love it.
    I suggest you to rent a car and firstly explore the Reykjavik area and the Golden Circle (which includes Gullfoss, Geysir & Thingvellir) then head to the Sout coast, with a necessary stop at some waterfalls and at the Jokulsarlon lagoon. The part of the South coast near Vik is unbelievable!
    Then you take a guided tour in the stunning inland: search Landmannalaugar, Langisjor and Thorsmork on the web just to have an idea of what incredible landscapes you could see. It really seems to be on Mars! Keep in mind that inland could be almost inaccessible also during summer, due to severe flood and a lot of river crossing - if you are not used to drive in such conditions do not take the risk to do it with a rented car, even if is a 4WD.
    I truly recommend you to spare some more days, a week is definitely not enough to enjoy that wonderful place...

Many thanks for your advice!
    late PJ bloomer- what was I doing in the 90's that I didn't know who Pearl Jam was???
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    My friend went in Feb. and she LOVED it!! It was er second fav trip and she travels everywhere!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
    Sprunkn7 said:

My friend went in Feb. and she LOVED it!! It was er second fav trip and she travels everywhere!

Do you know if she saw the northern lights there?
  • Try a search. I'm pretty sure someone else had a thread about Iceland within the last couple of years. I know my only contribution was to say that my sister's family lived there for a year when her son was 5. He thought the Icelandic ponies were great. :smile:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Jogill said:

Sprunkn7 said:

Do you know if she saw the northern lights there?
    My mum went and she saw them. You're not guaranteed to see them but there's a fairly good chance I think, though some times will be more spectacular than others. I'd say there's info out there about the best time to go to see them
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    She went on a tour for the lights but I think it was a bust. I just left Seattle on Tuesday night and about 3 hours later you could see the Northern Lights...I missed it by a few hours!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    A travel blogger I follow went to Iceland a couple years ago. Maybe you can find some useful info here http://www.dangerous-business.com/?s=Iceland
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    If you do go, say hello to my friend Ava.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • We are staying in Reykjavik for one day at the beginning of November and are pretty excited. We booked a bus tour to see the geysirs.
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Interesting this thread shows up. Just the other day I was looking at photos online of Elephant Rock in Heimaey, Iceland.

• I wanna go to Iceland! :bawling:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    ...and of course there's the Imagine Peace Tower. :peace:

http://imaginepeacetower.com/
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    I had a layover in Iceland last year for just a few hours, but I hope to actually return for a visit. It takes less time for me to fly there than out to California. Crazy.
    ELITIST FUK
  • When we planned our layover there, I was surprised how cheap it was to fly there from Toronto. My parents have been there a while ago as well and their pictures of the geysir looked stunning. It must be amazing to stand there and take it all in.
    Finally decided to do a week in winter in Iceland including ice caving. I can't wait!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Having coffee in Iceland is on my wish list. Let me know what you think about the coffee :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:

Having coffee in Iceland is on my wish list. Let me know what you think about the coffee :)

I don't drink coffee but I'm sure there will be plenty of people around me drinking it, so I'll let you know.
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I want to go to Iceland too, it's on my bucket list
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
    i decided to do the 7 day winter vacation tour with Guide to Iceland. The photos on their website are fantastic, especially the ice caving ones.
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    did you see me? i saw you.