Monaural stylus for turntable? Any one have one of these?

I read somewhere that play back sound of monaural records is greatly improved using a good stylus intended for monaural records. The article even included illustrations showing the difference between a mono and a stereo groves and mono and stereo styli. I'll post it if I can find it again.

Has anyone tried a mono stylus? Curious if you can hear the difference/ what you think.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    edited September 2015
    Here's a mona stylus:

oh wait,

wrong thread
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    It's on my wish list. As soon as I get one, Pet Sounds gets the inaugural spin.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
    rollings said:

Here's a mona stylus:

oh wait,

wrong thread

Try again, Rollings! :lol:
    dankind said:

Great, Dankind! Would very much dig seeing your review of the mono stylus when you get one. I like the idea but I suspect my ortofon is not easy to switch our which would mean a separate turntable. But that's a possibility some one of these days.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    brianlux said:

rollings said:

Here's a mona stylus:

oh wait,

wrong thread

dankind said:

Great, Dankind! Would very much dig seeing your review of the mono stylus when you get one. I like the idea but I suspect my ortofon is not easy to switch our which would mean a separate turntable. But that's a possibility some one of these days.
    Yeah, I was thinking the separate turntable as well. I only have a couple of mono records (Axis: Bold as Love, some Enrico Caruso, Pete Seeger, and Pet Sounds) and have inferior stereo mixes of others (Piper at the Gates of Dawn, for one) just because I lack the mono cartridge. One record store owner I know thinks I'm nuts and that the cartridge doesn't make much of a difference. He also said that he swears up and down that Piper got a true stereo mix, but I don't think it did.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
    dankind said:

brianlux said:

rollings said:

Here's a mona stylus:

oh wait,

wrong thread

dankind said:

Yeah, I was thinking the separate turntable as well. I only have a couple of mono records (Axis: Bold as Love, some Enrico Caruso, Pete Seeger, and Pet Sounds) and have inferior stereo mixes of others (Piper at the Gates of Dawn, for one) just because I lack the mono cartridge. One record store owner I know thinks I'm nuts and that the cartridge doesn't make much of a difference. He also said that he swears up and down that Piper got a true stereo mix, but I don't think it did.
    I've got Axis in mono as well. I'd be very curious to see if a mono needle would make enough of a difference. At this point I'm not sure I have enough mono LPs to justify the expense. Maybe some day.