People Chanting "Eddie, Eddie"

boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I was just at the show last night in Denver, which was awesome. Petty kind of put me to sleep near the end, but overall great show. I felt compelled to address the annoying habit of the people in my section, which I believe was made up of a lot of Ten Clubbers of chanting Eddie's name. If I'm not mistaken, Ed has addressed this repeatedly and isn't real happy about it because he doesn't like to draw attention to himself and has the refreshing attitude that he is only one part of a team and doesn't particularly like being singled out. Humility is a admirable trait in my book. It's bad enough during the PJ set, but when Petty was playing it really crossed the line. It was very disrespectful in my opinion and really showed no class from a fan base that is generally very classy. I wasn't particulary impressed with Petty, but give the man some respect, he is gracious enough to let Ed sing a couple of songs with his band. He doesn't need to do that. I'm not sure if this is a problem in other shows, but it was very discouraging and annoying at the Denver show. So a big shame on you to the handful of retards that like to start this tired chant. Have some friggin manners.
one foot in the door
the other foot in the gutter
sweet smell that they adore
I think I'd rather smother
-The Replacements-
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Yeah I love it when Eddie says sarcastically, "Yeah, yeah, it's just me up here doing all of this..."

Don't be that chump. At least while Eddie is not even ON STAGE.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I think for the most part they were chanting for ed to come out with Petty ... since we all knew it was coming. I wasn't chanting, because that's not my thing. Normally it does make me roll my eyes.

But I'm gonna let it slide this time.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • I was just at the show last night in Denver, which was awesome. Petty kind of put me to sleep near the end, but overall great show. I felt compelled to address the annoying habit of the people in my section, which I believe was made up of a lot of Ten Clubbers of chanting Eddie's name. If I'm not mistaken, Ed has addressed this repeatedly and isn't real happy about it because he doesn't like to draw attention to himself and has the refreshing attitude that he is only one part of a team and doesn't particularly like being singled out. Humility is a admirable trait in my book. It's bad enough during the PJ set, but when Petty was playing it really crossed the line. It was very disrespectful in my opinion and really showed no class from a fan base that is generally very classy. I wasn't particulary impressed with Petty, but give the man some respect, he is gracious enough to let Ed sing a couple of songs with his band. He doesn't need to do that. I'm not sure if this is a problem in other shows, but it was very discouraging and annoying at the Denver show. So a big shame on you to the handful of retards that like to start this tired chant. Have some friggin manners.

I agree, and I'll also point out that most people say that it is a 'Tom Petty' concert. It's Tom Petty & the Hearbreakers. It's a little different, in that Petty has put out solo albums (even though they were primarily backed up by the Heartbreakers at the time in the studio and on tour), but still, it's a pet peeve. The Heartbreakers are a helluva group of musicians... there's a reason they were inducted into the RRHOF as a band, not just Petty by himself.
  • SmallTownSmallTown Posts: 152
    I think for the most part they were chanting for ed to come out with Petty ... since we all knew it was coming. I wasn't chanting, because that's not my thing. Normally it does make me roll my eyes.

But I'm gonna let it slide this time.

Same thing happened in St. Paul. I looked it the same way.
    10-08-00 Ice Bowl
    06-21-03 Alpine
    09-09-05 Thunder Bay
    05-17-06 Chicago
    06-26-06 St. Paul
    07-22-06 The Gorge
    07-23-06 The Gorge
    05-07-10 Noblesville
    09-03-11 PJ20
    09-04-11 PJ20
    09-21-12 Pensicola
    09-22-12 Atlanta
  • skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    you know what else is annoying? going to hear the band and you can't even hear ed sing because everyone else is singing. if i wanted to hear other people sing pearl jam i would have stayed home and listened to my kids try and sing it!

Agreed. Sometimes I can't even hear Ed sing. That's a bummer.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • pilatesdogpilatesdog Posts: 55
    I agree and its summertime how about some ampitheatres I hate arena shows!!
    A truant finds home and a wish to hold on but theres a trapdoor in the sun Over 20 shows attended, remember at least half
    you know what else is annoying? going to hear the band and you can't even hear ed sing because everyone else is singing. if i wanted to hear other people sing pearl jam i would have stayed home and listened to my kids try and sing it!

yikes man. that's half the point of the show for me, singing along with my eyes closed. I can't help it. I can't hear Pearl Jam, on the radio, on my iPod and ESPECIALLY live and NOT sing along.

Ed obviously likes it.

What if he stepped back from the mic during Betterman and nobody sang? How embarrasing would that be?

Or during Small Town ... "I just wanna scream .... (absolute silence)."

I mean, seriously, if you really want to hear ed sing crystal clear, they have eight studio albums, a b-sides album and all kinds of live shit ... and I'm assuming you have some sort of stereo in your living room. Stay there and keep quiet, and ed and only ed will sing to you and only you.

It ain't the fuckin' opera. It's a rock show.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

Doesn't everyone belt out the words along with Ed?? That's half the fun of the show--screaming till your voice goes out. I cannot believe someone would get mad at the audience singing along.
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    yikes man. that's half the point of the show for me, singing along with my eyes closed. I can't help it. I can't hear Pearl Jam, on the radio, on my iPod and ESPECIALLY live and NOT sing along.

Ed obviously likes it.

What if he stepped back from the mic during Betterman and nobody sang? How embarrasing would that be?

I mean, seriously, if you really want to hear ed sing crystal clear, they have eight studio albums, a b-sides album and all kinds of live shit ... and I'm assuming you have some sort of stereo in your living room. Stay there and keep quiet, and ed and only ed will sing to you and only you.

"i will scream my lungs out until it fills this room"

no way i'm gonna be quiet at a rock n roll concert

and i do listen to my studio records now and then and I still can't be quiet!!

FUCK YEA!!!

I am getting psyched for LA becuz we are gonna tear down the FORUM!!

but no, i won't scream eddie's name.. never have.. just PEARL JAM!!
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,140
    Maybe they were screaming : Petty! Petty!
    Mexico City 17/7/2003 Mexico City 18/7/2003 Mexico City 19/7/2003 Santiago Chile 22/11/2005 Santiago Chile 23/11/2005 Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011 Santiago Chile 16/11/2011 Lima Perú 18/11/2011 Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013 Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013 Santiago Chile 06/5/2013 Santiago Chile 4/11/2015 Buenos Aires Argentina 7/11/2015 Porto Alegre Brasil 11/11/2015 Sao Paulo Brasil 14/11/2015 Brasilia Brasil 17/11/2015 Belo Horizonte Brasil 20/11/2015 Rio de Janeiro Brasil 22/11/2015 Bogota Colombia 25/11/2015 Mexico City 28/11/2015 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 8/4/2016 Miami, FL 9/4/2016 Tampa, FL 11/4/2016 Santiago Chile 13/3/2018 Santiago Chile 16/3/2018 Rome Italy 26/6/2018 Prague Czech Republic 1/7/2018 Krakow Poland 3/7/2018 Berlin Germany 5/7/2018 Barcelona Spain 10/7/2018 Dana Point, CA 1/10/2021 Dana Point, CA 2/10/2021 Seattle, WA 28/05/2024 Seattle, WA 30/05/2024
  • GhostChile wrote:
    Maybe they were screaming : Petty! Petty!

At first, that's what I thought they were doing.
    Pronounced: (mo-KAY-lay em-BEM-bay)

"So I made a mistake, ONE mistake, can't a man start over?! DO I HAVE TO KEEP PAYING?! Maybe I should make another mistake... maybe I should make two."

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    then STAY HOME if you dont like people singing at concerts.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• I was just at the show last night in Denver, which was awesome. Petty kind of put me to sleep near the end, but overall great show. I felt compelled to address the annoying habit of the people in my section, which I believe was made up of a lot of Ten Clubbers of chanting Eddie's name. If I'm not mistaken, Ed has addressed this repeatedly and isn't real happy about it because he doesn't like to draw attention to himself and has the refreshing attitude that he is only one part of a team and doesn't particularly like being singled out. Humility is a admirable trait in my book. It's bad enough during the PJ set, but when Petty was playing it really crossed the line. It was very disrespectful in my opinion and really showed no class from a fan base that is generally very classy. I wasn't particulary impressed with Petty, but give the man some respect, he is gracious enough to let Ed sing a couple of songs with his band. He doesn't need to do that. I'm not sure if this is a problem in other shows, but it was very discouraging and annoying at the Denver show. So a big shame on you to the handful of retards that like to start this tired chant. Have some friggin manners.

was this your first show? it happens at every show.
  • pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    Agreed anyone who thinks you shouldn't sing during concerts isn't a lame ass.
    As for Chanting "Eddie" It just flows well. Chanting "Pearl Jam" doesn't really. Maybe we should all chant, "Eddie, Mike, Stone, Jeff, and Matt". Don't get carried away. Of course other people in the band are going to be under-appreciated. People go crazy for Mike's Solo's and Matt's new drum solo, I'm sure they all know that we love them, just relax.
    pjrvm wrote:
    Agreed anyone who thinks you shouldn't sing during concerts isn't a lame ass.

no. if you ask me not to sing at a concert, you ARE a lame ass.

while you're at it, you might as well ask me to sit down, stop nodding along with the music, and knock off that irritating applause.
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    and dancing......dancing at a concert is really annoying.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
    and dancing......dancing at a concert is really annoying.

I am really against people looking at a concert. everyone should be forced to close their eyes and stare in the opposite direction.
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    lol....fuck man you have to warn somebody before saying something that funny. Don't forget listening.....next concert they're just going to hand out blindfolds and sound proof headphones.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • SmallTownSmallTown Posts: 152

LOL...your kids must be pretty good singers and extremely entertaining. No offense, but it is a ROCK N ROLL concert. I'm thinking you haven't been to too many before...this is the standard crowd thing to do no matter who's performing.

Staring in the opposite direction while mute...funny stuff.
    10-08-00 Ice Bowl
    06-21-03 Alpine
    09-09-05 Thunder Bay
    05-17-06 Chicago
    06-26-06 St. Paul
    07-22-06 The Gorge
    07-23-06 The Gorge
    05-07-10 Noblesville
    09-03-11 PJ20
    09-04-11 PJ20
    09-21-12 Pensicola
    09-22-12 Atlanta
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Ditto... everytime the lawn at Camden started chanting "Eddie, Eddie", i went with a random "Stone! Stone!" or "Pearl Jam! Pearl Jam!". The bigger fans ought to know not to underappreciate any member of the band, for it wouldn't be Pearl Jam without each individual... except maybe Matt, since the drummer has obviously been replacable (hey, i'm just being honest). But even still... Pearl Jam is not the Eddie Vedder Band so don't pull that shit.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • stillahivestillahive Posts: 14
    yea, im one of those guys that does the "eddie" chant. i find it weird to jus keep screaming "pj! pj! pj!" and there are too many syllables in Pearl Jam.
    " 'No.....Way' my answer to that, 'No.....Way'"
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Singing along is cool, it's what you are supposed to do but chanting is really fucking anoying, ok you can chant for the band before they come on stage or during the break for the encore but not while they are stood there it's just fucking stupid.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,140
    Being upset by people who is singing and dancing at a rock and roll concert is like playing soccer without a ball.... it doesnt make any sense. It isnt an opera.
    Mexico City 17/7/2003 Mexico City 18/7/2003 Mexico City 19/7/2003 Santiago Chile 22/11/2005 Santiago Chile 23/11/2005 Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011 Santiago Chile 16/11/2011 Lima Perú 18/11/2011 Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013 Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013 Santiago Chile 06/5/2013 Santiago Chile 4/11/2015 Buenos Aires Argentina 7/11/2015 Porto Alegre Brasil 11/11/2015 Sao Paulo Brasil 14/11/2015 Brasilia Brasil 17/11/2015 Belo Horizonte Brasil 20/11/2015 Rio de Janeiro Brasil 22/11/2015 Bogota Colombia 25/11/2015 Mexico City 28/11/2015 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 8/4/2016 Miami, FL 9/4/2016 Tampa, FL 11/4/2016 Santiago Chile 13/3/2018 Santiago Chile 16/3/2018 Rome Italy 26/6/2018 Prague Czech Republic 1/7/2018 Krakow Poland 3/7/2018 Berlin Germany 5/7/2018 Barcelona Spain 10/7/2018 Dana Point, CA 1/10/2021 Dana Point, CA 2/10/2021 Seattle, WA 28/05/2024 Seattle, WA 30/05/2024
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I have heard lots of JEFF JEFF JEFF and STONE STONE STONE chants.

How about BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM? Have we heard that?

Mike Mike Mike a few times too. The only one I have never heard is MATT!

I would rank it like this as far as the shows I have been too.

Boom ( recent, but he gets lots of love)
    Jeff
    Ed
    Stone
    Mike
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • stillahivestillahive Posts: 14
    booooom?

i thought it was "BOOOO"

i thought they were booing him. :\
    " 'No.....Way' my answer to that, 'No.....Way'"
  • TWHoltTWHolt Posts: 403

Ed obviously likes it.

I'm with ya here! Cannot be helped. The show gets better as more people sing. It reflects off the band.
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|Next~Boston 1 24|Next~Boston 2 24|
    stillahive wrote:
    yea, im one of those guys that does the "eddie" chant. i find it weird to jus keep screaming "pj! pj! pj!" and there are too many syllables in Pearl Jam.

Give it up.
    |Montreal 03|Halifax 05|St. John's 1 05|St. John's 2 05|Toronto 1 06|Toronto 2 06|NYC 1 08|NYC 2 08|Toronto 09|Hartford 10|Boston 10|Newark 10|NYC 1 10|NYC 2 10|Alpine Valley 1 11|Alpine Valley 2 11|Montreal 11|Hartford 13|Ottawa 16|Chicago 1 16|Chicago 2 16|Boston 1 18|Quebec City 22|Ottawa 22|Next~Boston 1 24|Next~Boston 2 24|
    lol....fuck man you have to warn somebody before saying something that funny. Don't forget listening.....next concert they're just going to hand out blindfolds and sound proof headphones.

fucking hilarious! Blindfolds with "10C LAMEASS" sewed into them.
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    I was just at the show last night in Denver, which was awesome. Petty kind of put me to sleep near the end, but overall great show. I felt compelled to address the annoying habit of the people in my section, which I believe was made up of a lot of Ten Clubbers of chanting Eddie's name. If I'm not mistaken, Ed has addressed this repeatedly and isn't real happy about it because he doesn't like to draw attention to himself and has the refreshing attitude that he is only one part of a team and doesn't particularly like being singled out. Humility is a admirable trait in my book. It's bad enough during the PJ set, but when Petty was playing it really crossed the line. It was very disrespectful in my opinion and really showed no class from a fan base that is generally very classy. I wasn't particulary impressed with Petty, but give the man some respect, he is gracious enough to let Ed sing a couple of songs with his band. He doesn't need to do that. I'm not sure if this is a problem in other shows, but it was very discouraging and annoying at the Denver show. So a big shame on you to the handful of retards that like to start this tired chant. Have some friggin manners.

doesnt like to draw attention to himself?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!

yea right.

if this was the case,he wouldnt do a solo set,or a couple of songs by himself to start an encore.

hell,he even had a solo slot during the storytellers show.

so,while i agree that it gets annoying hearing the people chant his name,i dont buy into his "part of the team" thinking,and i think he does more than enough to encourage the screams of "eddie eddie" no matter how much he says otherwise.

as for singing at the concert,i get a kick out of hearing this while i'm at the show,but damn if it isnt a bummer to get an audience recording and all that can be heard are drunk off key fuckers singing right beside the taper.

but the worst was the oct 28,03 santa barbara show where the two rude assed girls are talking all thru the accoustic set.