Funny, Inappropriate, or a little bit of both?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/banners-old-dominion-university_55d90270e4b04ae49703769d?kvcommref=mostpopular

In today's hypersensitive world this clearly is marked as inappropriate but i lean towards a little bit of both. i get both sides but as a guy it is a bit funny too.

what's do you think?

Comments

• KatKat Posts: 4,832
    Um...creepy.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited August 2015
    I think it's completely inappropriate. I don't know if it's exactly an example of rape culture, since it never says anything about forcing anyone, but I get why someone would relate the two. I think this is a cousin of rape culture at least. Also, about 1/3 of freshmen are still 17 years old, so that makes it even worse.

But it's not illegal and it's not on university property, so it really doesn't matter what our opinions about it are. But those people who put up the banners have to be some of the biggest fucking douchebag losers in the country.

PS - I don't think it is anywhere near "hypersensitive" to be offended by this
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    It's just classless.

Doesn't show much respect for women, and makes me wonder what their mothers (and fathers, for that matter) think about their sons' actions.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    To a guy it may be funny, but speaking as a girl, I find it coarse, rude, immature. There's no humor in that kind of frat boy mentality. And I don't have to be hypersensitive to feel that way.

Things like this always make me wonder "Who the hell raised you? And on what planet have you been living, to think that people wouldn't be bothered by it? Don't any of you have moms or sisters? "
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    thing is its incredibly difficult to appreciate the inappropriateness of it if it aint directed at you. And I mean that as in it's never directed at you, it would be impossible for that to be directed at you.
    But I mean come on - "hope your baby girl is ready for a good time" "go ahead and drop mom off too"

That's just fuckin' nasty.

and it is evidence of what happens when that "boys will be boys" excuse is allowed to perpetuate. I hope someone rounds up their mothers and drops them all off at the house at once, with wooden spoons and chancletas in hand.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    edited August 2015
    pjhawks said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/banners-old-dominion-university_55d90270e4b04ae49703769d?kvcommref=mostpopular

In today's hypersensitive world this clearly is marked as inappropriate but i lean towards a little bit of both. i get both sides but as a guy it is a bit funny too.

what's do you think?

You said it yourself, as a guy its a bit funny.

Zero respect for anyone who finds this amusing.

Post edited by PureandEasy on
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I find the 'freshman daughter' part the most creepy. It's basically saying, "we know you're young, naive, and don't know that we are the biggest d-bags on campus"
    With it not being on campus, I can see why the boys thought they could get away with it.

Reminds me of the windowless van with 'free candy' spray painted on the side...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    its offensive but true because thats what most campuses make out of both boys and girls its no different to boys and girls schools
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited August 2015
    JWPearl said:

its offensive but true because thats what most campuses make out of both boys and girls its no different to boys and girls schools

I disagree. Maybe with some fraternities and sororities though. Not campuses overall.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Interesting that only women - some well-spoken ones, at that! - have commented thus far. Would be curious to hear from some of the men here.

And...I get that, at that age (OK, from earlier and well beyond that age), guys are horny as hell. Hello! So are women. Welcome to life. You can still keep your shit in check.

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    edited August 2015
    hedonist said:

Interesting that only women - some well-spoken ones, at that! - have commented thus far. Would be curious to hear from some of the men here.

And...I get that, at that age (OK, from earlier and well beyond that age), guys are horny as hell. Hello! So are women. Welcome to life. You can still keep your shit in check.

I will speak up. It's deplorable. I tend to not be part of the hypersensitive crowd, but c'mon. Like the above poster said, how would they feel if it was their moms that were dropped off?
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Inappropriate and not funny.....not just because it's offensive - it's just not funny at all.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    hedonist said:

I am also not hypersensitive, but was raised with manners and respect for women. Crass, classless, and disrespectful. I'm sure their moms would not be proud. I like the idea of having the moms of those kids show up with wooden spoons! I'm thankful that my daughter made it through college without encountering this brand of douchebaggery, and would hope I taught my son enough that he wouldn't be party to this sort of idiocy. It's a pretty easy standard. Treat women the way you'd want other men to treat your sister or mother. Pretty simple stuff.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    As crude as we all can be (which I will admit I love and at times encourage), must repeat what I've mentioned before about the (gah! can't articulate the appropriate adjective but it's a positive one) majority of the guys on this forum.

Good men :)
    personally and i say personally i see it as a sign of love in desguise which would make me think twice about dropping my children there but thats just me even if the sign was an insult but you know sometimes the truth hurts and is offensive if thats what it takes then so be it
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    I'm the least sensitive and offended person I know and this is just not right. If I ever have a son and he pulls something like this, he'll get his ass kicked. This is why I hated frats and why I still hate alpha-bros.
  • Question for the ladies, if it was hanging in front of a sororiety with it saying drop your sons of here would you be as offended? Answer honestly
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    JWPearl said:

personally and i say personally i see it as a sign of love in desguise which would make me think twice about dropping my children there but thats just me even if the sign was an insult but you know sometimes the truth hurts and is offensive if thats what it takes then so be it

I'm not sure I understand it being described as love in disguise, JW. That sort of crosses into a weird territory of excuses for words and worse, for actions.
    edited August 2015

Question for the ladies, if it was hanging in front of a sororiety with it saying drop your sons of here would you be as offended? Answer honestly

Good question and damned double standards do exist...but I think the crassness isn't gender-specific.
    (edit - aside from American Beauty, I just can't see women that age asking for the dads to be dropped off too).
    hedonist said:

JWPearl said:

I'm not sure I understand it being described as love in disguise, JW. That sort of crosses into a weird territory of excuses for words and worse, for actions.
    it does but still serves as a warning sometimes there are methods to the worlds madness even if not intended the way it should or shouldnt be
  • hedonist said:

Question for the ladies, if it was hanging in front of a sororiety with it saying drop your sons of here would you be as offended? Answer honestly

Good question and damned double standards do exist...but I think the crassness isn't gender-specific.
    (edit - aside from American Beauty, I just can't see women that age asking for the dads to be dropped off too).
    What is sad, the girls would probably be referred to as sluts for hanging a sign like that outside their sorority.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

hedonist said:

What is sad, the girls would probably be referred to as sluts for hanging a sign like that outside their sorority.
    100% true and 100% sad.
    JWPearl said:

hedonist said:

JWPearl said:

it does but still serves as a warning sometimes there are methods to the worlds madness even if not intended the way it should or shouldnt be
    I'm sorry - I'm trying to get what you're saying but just not. What kind of warning or method? Toward the young men's mindset in putting up those signs, or those who read/react to it?
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859

To be 100% honest, and yes, i know it makes me a hypocrite, if it were a sign on a sorority saying "drop your sons off here (and dad too)" I'd actually be pissed instead of just disgusted. At this point the original sign is something I guess I'm used to or have come to expect (or at least not be surprised by) but if it were a sorority I'd be actively pissed off. Cuz that's not just offensive and in poor taste, it's making my gender look bad. And I mean it would be like "wtf is wrong with you? The MRAs don't make up enough shit you gotta HAND THEM this kind of ammunition?!"

Again, I know it's hypocritical. Whatever I ain't perfect, but I'm honest.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    Stupid, nasty, offensive and not funny. Screw the guys who do this kind of thing, shame on the parents who don't teach/model respect and on the girls who go along with it and bad on the colleges that don't shut it down. We all like to have a good time but this is just not good.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

ldent42 said:

To be 100% honest, and yes, i know it makes me a hypocrite, if it were a sign on a sorority saying "drop your sons off here (and dad too)" I'd actually be pissed instead of just disgusted. At this point the original sign is something I guess I'm used to or have come to expect (or at least not be surprised by) but if it were a sorority I'd be actively pissed off. Cuz that's not just offensive and in poor taste, it's making my gender look bad. And I mean it would be like "wtf is wrong with you? The MRAs don't make up enough shit you gotta HAND THEM this kind of ammunition?!"

Again, I know it's hypocritical. Whatever I ain't perfect, but I'm honest.
    As always, well-said.

We're all hypocritical to varying degrees. Give me honesty any day - I appreciate it.
    Did you not know God can use people who are in no way on his side to get the point across to the ones that are on his side by working in mysterious ways and using idiots to say stupid offensive things that may be inappropiate but still get the message across to those who are open minded enough to see it and be put off or in their case warned off..either way its offensive and informative and like i said if thats what is takes to change a decision so be it bc the sign in all honesty wasnt stating full blown lies even if it were offensive
    if i saw it my reaction would be my children are not going there to me its God sent even if idiots were used the offensiveness was interpreted on their own stupidity not Gods
  • All in all at the end of the day it is young male hormones advertising.
    Crass, callous?, maybe
    But damn the lengths boys have to go through,
    Women need no such advertising to be just as dirty

All in all at the end of the day it is young male hormones advertising.
    Crass, callous?, maybe

lmao

All in all at the end of the day it is young male hormones advertising.
    Crass, callous?, maybe

Like young men's hormones need advertising?

They're their own walking signs =)