Options

Rate The Bands Tonight

Comments

• Options
    Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Oh and for what it's worth....The Flaming Lips suck my ass. God they sucked. I've heard some of their stuff before and thought it was OK, but this sucked.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Pearl Jam
    The Who (are we counting them?)
    Incubus
    Flaming Lips
    Tenacious D
    Foo Fighters

I like the Flaming Lips, but I wasn't super impressed with their performance.

If we are including The Who, then this would be more order dead on!...Actually I would make one switch and that would be adding Adam Sandler before the Foo's performance...."who wants The Who?, who wants The Who?, who wants The Who?"...classic right there.

But I would rather watch the shitty Foo's performance over any reality TV show any day of the week!

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    Them-BonesThem-Bones Posts: 518
    Incubus
    Pearl Jam
    Flaming Lips
    Foo Fighters
    Tenacious D
    Adam Sandler

YEA I DID IT
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Chris1401 wrote:

Ok, I didn't realize Dave was sick, however on "young man's blues" it really didn't sound that bad sounded pretty good. That's why I was like "what the hell?" when the Supergrass singer came in. Kind of killed the whole concept, cause Dave's voice sounded decent on the first track even if he was under the weather.

I saw the who in OKC for the 2nd time back in 2007, and Roger had the flu recently before. For days, my friend and I read Pete's blog to see if the show was on or a no go. Well the show happened and I was scared it was gonna suck ass cause Roger had been sick. The show ended up being great but to keep Roger's voice from wearing out Pete sang a bit more lead parts than usual. Rogers voice did crack when he talked to us between songs, but really I didn't see any problem overall. My friend made the observation about Pete on vox more than usual. Point is, I think Dave could have pulled it off sick or not. Like someone said Taylor could have sang more lead parts that Dave's sickness would prevent his voice from hitting. I really don't think "Bargain" is a vocal challenge for Dave. Now had they done "won't get fooled again" the scream part in there may have been murder on his vocal cords. :)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    The Who-Hey...its their night. Also this the third time I've seen the Who...oh yeah I went to the show. Pete really played really well that night, I think he was just trying to keep up with Mike.
    Pearl Jam-Ament killed "the Real Me"
    Foo Fighters minus the asshole from Supergrass
    The Flaming Lips- never really listened to them and I was impressed.
    The D-For acknowledging the Greatnest of the Who
    Adam Sandler-Very amusing
    Incubus-wasn't impressed, thought Boyd would be better. Personally I would rather see My Morning Jacket cover "A Quick One." BOOYAH
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Los Angeles, July 10, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 21, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 22, 2006
    Lollapalooza, August 5th, 2007
    eV., Los Angeles April 12, 2008
    eV., San Diego April 15, 2008
    Given to Fly___..
  • Options
    Them-Bones wrote:
    Incubus
    Pearl Jam
    Flaming Lips
    Foo Fighters
    Tenacious D
    Adam Sandler

YEA I DID IT
    SHENANIGANS!!!!!
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Los Angeles, July 10, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 21, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 22, 2006
    Lollapalooza, August 5th, 2007
    eV., Los Angeles April 12, 2008
    eV., San Diego April 15, 2008
    Given to Fly___..
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Pearl Jam
    Foo Fighters
    Flaming Lips
    Incubus
    Tenacious D

I actually thought the guy from Supergrass sounded great on the Foos second song, and saved their performance.
  • Options
    I know it's the Who and this is a PJ message board...but Pearl Jam was honestly better than the Who tonight, or saturday...
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Them-Bones wrote:
    Incubus
    Pearl Jam
    Flaming Lips
    Foo Fighters
    Tenacious D
    Adam Sandler

YEA I DID IT

You're nuts!

Incubus did really well, but PJ just blew everyone away. I like both bands and it wasn't close.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    you guys are crazy
    the foos stole that show-and I dont even like them that much

reign oer me is a boring song
    and the feel the real me was good

but bargain was better. and the young mans blues had that raw energy that was the early who
    pj sounded to polished, I hate to say

and I agree that lips have no freaking business on that stage Coyne cannot sing at all

incubus was better than I thought they would be
    and the tea with me at the end was brilliant (even though Roger has lost a little of the energy in his voice)
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Them-Bones
    Incubus
    Pearl Jam
    Flaming Lips
    Foo Fighters
    Tenacious D
    Adam Sandler

YEA I DID IT

You'd better be joking.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Get_Right wrote:
    you guys are crazy

but bargain was better. and the young mans blues had that raw energy that was the early who

and I agree that lips have no freaking business on that stage Coyne cannot sing at all

and the tea with me at the end was brilliant (even though Roger has lost a little of the energy in his voice)

whoa i can't believe i'm reading this adam i hate to call you clueless but but ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,798
    ..a couple of free-flowed thoughts....

man, talk about mass produced pop-music fans when it comes to this thread.... the foo early in their career with Smear and the such was good.....but dont ever include the foo with anything of substance anymore

no credit to the lips? are you kidding me? i guess you've never been to a lips show then. "the feel the real me"? you mean "the real me"?

foo fighters? incubus? what is this? 2001? wheres the mentos video at? what a bunch of crap....
    oh, and jack black is NOT funny, nor is his band....

other than PJ and the Lips(and of course The Who) BEEEEEEELOOOWWWS....

..idiots...

a tip - A)go listen to everything the flaming lips have ever done B) go to one of their shows....then we can talk...i love saying this especially because it pisses people off - foo fighters suck - i cant respect someone who was once the drummer for alanis morrisette...

again, Jack Black = NOT FUNNY
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,798
    whoa i can't believe i'm reading this adam i hate to call you clueless but but ....

Thaaaaaaank a-you.
  • Options
    I can take it my man :)

problem is

seeing that breakerfall, las exit, brain of j. in hartford

rein oer me is boring after that!!!!!!!

Plus you know that EV should just stood up and ripped a squeeze box, followed by a magic bus, followed by baba. Thats a tribute hermano!
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    PJ
    The who
    Tenascious D
    Foos
    Flaming Lips
    Incubus

Pj is first based on there rendition of the real me, and all due respects to the the who, but the historical footage was more interesting and exciting than their perfomance...don't get me wrong, i'm the same vintage as ed and similiarily cut my teeth on the who in the mid 70's and i luv em and all but not their performance last nite.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    i thought the foo fighters were aweful they sounded like they didnt know what was going on and i like them in general too. PJ and the who were definately the best incubus was o.k imo
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    SammyK14SammyK14 Posts: 287
    i cant respect someone who was once the drummer for alanis morrisette...

i didn't know until last night that taylor was her drummer...gotta give him some credit though, he's solid
    5 years of Jam...

06: Pittsburgh
    07: Lollapalooza
    08: Bonnaroo, DC
    EV (second row!!!!!!) in DC
    09: Philly 2 & 3
    10: Newark
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Get_Right wrote:
    I can take it my man :)

problem is

seeing that breakerfall, las exit, brain of j. in hartford

rein oer me is boring after that!!!!!!!

Plus you know that EV should just stood up and ripped a squeeze box, followed by a magic bus, followed by baba. Thats a tribute hermano!

you can't make that comparison this was about paying tribute to one if not the best rock band ever and tonight PEARL JAM blew everybody off that stage anyway i'm done here oh yeah enjoy the ev solo sows ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    nadja_veddernadja_vedder Posts: 291
    1. Pearl Jam (of course)
    2. The Who
    3. Incubus
    4. Tenacious D
    5. Foo Fighters
    6. Adam Sandler
    7. Flaming Lips (didn't like them too much)
    "makes much more sense, to live in the present tense"
  • Options
    you can't make that comparison this was about paying tribute to one if not the best rock band ever and tonight PEARL JAM blew everybody off that stage anyway i'm done here oh yeah enjoy the ev solo sows ....

I know, Im just not a huge fan of the songs they played .

Thanks hermano, I will let you know if anything comes up.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    you guys are crazy

Sorry but I have to disagree with basically 99.9% of what you said. I thought the Foo's butchered "Young Man Blues"....and "Bargain" was just as bad if not worse...Grohl was not feeling well and it showed. The Foo Fighters were sloppy and far from top form.

But anyways..."Tea and Theatre" was a nice way to end it though...I'll give you that much.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Sorry but I have to disagree with basically 99.9% of what you said. I thought the Foo's butchered "Young Man Blues"....and "Bargain" was just as bad if not worse...Grohl was not feeling well and it showed. The Foo Fighters were sloppy and far from top form.

But anyways..."Tea and Theatre" was a nice way to end it though...I'll give you that much.

thats cool
    I really enjoyed the foos performance.

Top form or not.
    I preferred the raw, rocking sound of the foos, as imperfect as it may have been, and I thought Gaz was a nice touch.

rein oer me bores the hell out of me-PJ and EV have also covered MUCH better who songs

but hey still a great show
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    thats cool
    I really enjoyed the foos performance.

Top form or not.
    I preferred the raw, rocking sound of the foos, as imperfect as it may have been, and I thought Gaz was a nice touch.

rein oer me bores the hell out of me-PJ and EV have also covered MUCH better who songs

but hey still a great show

Hey...No denying the heart and soul put into all of the performances that night.

Either way...

It was great TV all around.

It would be great if this kind of thing happend more often.

A show like this with performers like this kind of make everything else on the VH1 and MTV rotation look extremely lame ass.
  • Options
    Leaving The Who off the list...

1. Pearl Jam
    2. Incubus....I thought they sounded pretty good, esp. I Can See for Miles
    3. Tenacious D....Squeeze Box was the perfect choice for them
    4. Adam Sandler
    5. Foo Fighters....I didn't think they were as awful as some people are making them out to be
    6. Flaming Lips....come on, people, Wayne Coyne is tone deaf
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    6/19/08 Camden
    6/20/08 Camden
    6/22/08 DC
    6/25/08 MSG
    8/4/08 EV NYC
    8/5/08 EV NYC
    8/7/08 EV Newark
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    well even if he *can*, he couldn't on the performance because he didn't have a voice! (legit)

I definitely assumed that was the case (during the first song it was clear his voice was struggling). I think Dave could have pulled off that song on a normal day though. he has a much stronger voice than people give him credit for I think.
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    Leaving The Who off the list...

1. Pearl Jam
    2. Incubus....I thought they sounded pretty good, esp. I Can See for Miles
    3. Tenacious D....Squeeze Box was the perfect choice for them
    4. Adam Sandler
    5. Foo Fighters....I didn't think they were as awful as some people are making them out to be
    6. Flaming Lips....come on, people, Wayne Coyne is tone deaf

I was IMPRESSED with Adam Sandler!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    Pearl Jam
    The Who
    Tenacious D
    Incubus
    Foo Fighters
    Flaming Lips
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    ChadsStillAliveChadsStillAlive Indianapolis Posts: 450
    LukinFan wrote:
    Pearl Jam
    The Who
    Tenacious D
    Incubus
    Foo Fighters
    Flaming Lips

This is the correct list. PJ was unreal and stole the show (how shocking).
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side.
    I am right by your side.
  • Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    PJ were incredible, Jeffy, Jeffy, Jeffy, sorry the camera work was so fucking wonky and the direction so awful that we didn't really get a clear shot of anyone but Eddie, or especially Brendan, it was his night to shine out front, and they put some chimpanzee with untreated attention deficit disorder in the control room. I wish someone could dig up the soundcheck, because Stone said they really nailed it at the soundcheck, and the show's performance wasn't as good -- huh?

I'm not including the Who, so I'd put Incubus second, and I thought the rest of it was a sheer embarrassment to the Who --it's that Internet mentality that anyone can do anything if they grab an opportunity, just because you're a big fan of someone doesn't mean you belong performing at their tribute concert. And Adam Sandler is a waste of sperm and egg.

These things are so contrived and overproduced and an insult to the intelligence -- between the commercials and the promos for what passes as programming on VH-1, egads! But the way PJ cuts through the bullshit...that's what the Who used to do...before Pete handed I Can See For Miles over to Jiffy Fucking Lube...
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)