Options

Honest Lolla review

2»

Comments

• Options
    namelessnameless Posts: 21
    maybe i'm just crazy, or was too stoked to see them... but i thought it was great. i was in front of Stone, and he always grabs my attention anyway. fabulous day, all around. we should cherish it, cuz we don't know when they'll be back. personally, i have no means to travel to Europe.
    sometimes i walk, sometimes i kneel, sometimes i speak of nothing at all...

www.myspace/riotacter

9/24/96, 11/18/97, 11/19/97, 6/14/98, 6/29/98, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 9/7/98, 8/3/00, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 9/4/00, 9/5/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 7/1/03, 7/12/03(fav.), 10/6/04, 5/30/06, 8/5/07....
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    Sawyer wrote:
    totally agree with this, especially the Mike part....his guitar sounded terrible all night and Ed was not at his vocal best.......seeing your fave band at a festival too sucks....imp[ossible to piss when PJ took the stage, get a beer, breathe......give me a venue any day of the week......all in all a very average pj show, which is still great

Totally agree.

And believe me, i REALLY wanted to enjoy this show. I was really looking forward to it.

You summed it up correctly.....seeing your favorite band at a festival sucks.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    UnkeptUnkept Posts: 65
    Me and the Mrs. watched at home last night. We thought they didn't sound as on it as they normally do. That's why they are viewed as one of the best live bands ever...but last night wasn't proof. Unless you look at it as a bad night, in which case they were still pretty killer...Matt seemed to be trying hard to keep it all rolling along...But Eddie sounded a bit drunk, a bit winded, and just a bit out of focus...And what the heck happened on Crazy Mary, somewhere in all the soloing and whatnot, Stone started double-tie strumming all over the place and it sounded like the wheels just came off...

But it had to be hard to rock in that heat, and technical problems can take you out of the game when you're trying to perform...God bless them, they probably had too much fun this weekend....
  • Options
    namelessnameless Posts: 21
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    You summed it up correctly.....seeing your favorite band at a festival sucks.

i agree with THAT... i saw them at Tibetan Freedom in '98... waited all fuckin' day for like 8 songs, tops. this was 10x better than that was.
    sometimes i walk, sometimes i kneel, sometimes i speak of nothing at all...

www.myspace/riotacter

9/24/96, 11/18/97, 11/19/97, 6/14/98, 6/29/98, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 9/7/98, 8/3/00, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 9/4/00, 9/5/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 7/1/03, 7/12/03(fav.), 10/6/04, 5/30/06, 8/5/07....
  • Options
    chatdean wrote:
    I love Pearl Jam, especially live. They are the only band that I listen to, ad I really get mad when someone talks shit about them... but I don't think they had a great night tonight, and I am not upset pr mad or whining or crying... I really feel bad.

I was at the show... right up fron in front of Mike. After Why Gom he could not get on track, he was having major issues with his gear... he was way way too distorted. Ed seemed not happy about it, approached Mike, Mike sat out some parts and was constantly trying to adjust... as Ed was giving sideways looks... I felt bad. I feel it sort of set the tone for the other guys and they had to stretch and cover for Mike.

Though no fault of tehir own and if tehy were allowed I'm sure it would not be the case, but they seemed rushed tonight at times, again format of teh event...

I am not disappointed or upset, the setlist was Incredible... it just seemed like a technical issue that I felt bad that they had to deal with... but it was there and I can't believe so many think they sounded their best.

I think he had some issues as well, and it wasn't typical Mike, still amazing, but STONE was on wave that never ended......he completely stepped up outside of his norm and the band as a whole was AMAZING, Mike was the only one off due to the tech issues, but just for half the first set, Matt was unleashing some major sticks, and Jeff was still throwing the funky bass line.....

Not my best show, but still an amazing one....
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
  • Options
    Yes, I was some 200 yards back and to the left, just past that VIP elevated area. I couldn't hear Mike's solos for most of the show. I couldn't hear Ed either, but that was due to everyone shouting the lyrics to every song, which I understand, I was too. Like others on here, I just feel that the show wasn't LOUD enough, not from my position. I saw Modest Mouse just before, and the sound was great. But yeah, a few things were off with PJ, but still a better show than most bands I've seen over the years.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Unkept wrote:
    Me and the Mrs. watched at home last night. Eddie sounded a bit drunk, a bit winded, and just a bit out of focus.....

What made you think Ed sounded drunk? He hardly touched his wine...he just sounded very tired (I'm sure he did much more than just the stuff we know about)...and he gave it his all...he looked exhausted, but still performed his best, and that's all we need to know...

I watched on the Webcast as well...sure there were sound problems, but who gives a fuck...I've noticed people on here saying "Ooh. Ed looked so mad because Mike was out of tune..." Yeah, well, they didn't seem to be able to have a sound check...and Ed looked a little more concerned than mad. They all looked concerned, actually...and they powered through and did not disappoint. If anyone was disappointed, they've been analyzing the concerts a bit much. Just enjoy them for what they are...

Anyway, I thought it was excellent and quite emotional...and I really hope they rest up for the next year or so and step away from being Pearl Jam for a few moments, and just be themselves and live their lives. It's been two years of tours and promotion and travel and interviews, etc. The culmination of which was last night...Have a great rest, guys!

And sorry, Unkempt...this was not a dig at you personally -- there's a lot of threads on here speculating about what was wrong with Ed...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    What made you think Ed sounded drunk? He hardly touched his wine...he just sounded very tired
    my friends all commented on his poor public speaking... especially when he was introducing tom young... i just told em he probably almost definitely had some stage fright... alot of pressure to outdo every band that played that weekend and in front of like a million people... its understandable... he always says alot of "umm"s anyway...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    ucsbucsb Posts: 58
    I love all these web-cast reviews. Let's have a seperate thread called web-cast reviews and you all can debate the web-cast and the clarity of the web-cast wtih yourself. If you were at the show then lets talk. Yes we have all seen PJ many times. But, their were a lot of people that never saw them before and they were in awe. I liked being at a show with a good mix of vet's and rookies because seeing them smile and going nuts (along w/the vets) was GREAT!!!! Yea, there might have been some minor glitches but this was one of the most intense PJ shows I have been to. i thought Ed sounded fine and the vibe at the show was something that the web-cast reviewers will never feel. But let me tell you, the vibe was in full force.

I dunno about any of this webcast stuff. I was there front row right in front of stone and I was really impressed by his tone. Everything sounded so good and loud. This is the best crowd I have ever seen in any concert as far as energy goes
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,601
    From my vantage point..webcast..Stone really impressed..Jeff was on point as usual..Ed picked it up after the BP speech..like he caught his fire...Mike at one point left the stage ...to get a new guitar??? I did see Ed look over ...it was during Corduroy..I was worried we wouldn't have Mike for a solo..like the Eddie/Flea gig..and when Mike came in it wasn't too clear..definately technical issues..which is sad ,because it was to so many people..but happens at festivals when you have quick setups and many bands sharing the same stage..
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    Here is the thing.

We over analyze every note by every band member. every lyric from Ed. Every solo by Mike and Stone, Every speech. every facial expression. Every technical difficulty. everything! The fact is PJ killed everybody in the audience that night like they do every night. sometime us ultra-cynical son of a bitch fans need to sit back and enjoy them because they bring it every night like no band has ever done.

A frinckin webcast will never duplicate what happened that night.
  • Options
    chatdean wrote:
    I love Pearl Jam, especially live. They are the only band that I listen to, and I really get mad when someone talks shit about them... but I don't think they had a great night tonight, and I am not upset or mad or whining or crying... I really feel bad.

I was at the show... right up front six rows away from and in front of Mike. After Why Go he could not get on track, he was having major issues with his gear... he was way way too distorted. Ed seemed not happy about it, approached Mike, Mike sat out some parts and was constantly trying to adjust... as Ed was giving sideways looks... I felt bad. I feel it sort of set the tone for the other guys and they had to stretch and cover for Mike.

Though no fault of their own and if they were allowed I'm sure it would not be the case, but they seemed rushed tonight at times, again format of the event... not their control.

I am not disappointed or upset, the setlist was Incredible... it just seemed like a technical issue that I felt bad that they had to deal with... but it was there and I can't believe so many think they sounded their best.

I agree. There was definitely something wrong with the sound. I still had a great time because I was relatively close to the front so the crowd was great for the most part. But near the end, the show lost its momentum. Even Eddie seemed surprised because there was no thunderous roar at the end. I remember him saying bye and g'night a couple of times like he didn't think anyone heard him or something.
  • Options
    JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    I concur with the sound issue stuff - but I'll do my disclaimer "I had a great time. They were in great moods. The fest crowd was in rare form. I love this band."

At the Vic, Mike's guitar tech stuff never recovered after INside Job. He used the twelve string and they adjusted levels and everything after that never got back on track. I saw him fiddling with his battery pack and the speakers that he was coming out of on stage right sounded like they were cracking. This was especially apparent during Love Reign O're Me. I could barely hear Ed. My hubby and I were in the balcony and discussed in on the way home as a fluke. The sound board was on the side of the stage and not out in the house, so maybe they could hear to adjust the levels.

Then it happened again - after Small Town during Lolla. Mike plugged back in, the cracky stuff started happening. Mike's levels were all higher than anyone elses. We were both like, "WTF?" and we were standing next to the sound stage this time. It sounded like they tried to adjust it a couple of times, but like it's been said, Mike left the stage a few times, Ed played No More, then it went screaming in to RITFW and levels didn't matter.

We're not betraying any trust in the band by admitting there was some sound issues - they would say it too. But it was outside, hard to control, I was there to experience PJ at a festival and it was all that.

Webcast watchers - you know it's not the same so don't be hating.
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
  • Options
    Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    chatdean wrote:
    They are the only band that I listen to

Are you serious??????????????
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Mike absolutely had issues, I could barely hear the even flow solo
    the sound was not great, but it seemed to get better as the show went on

but what an energetic and special performance
    longer than I thought and a great song selection

glad to have been there.