Thoughts on Reddit?

Being a bit of a late comer to the world of computers and the internet (not super- late but I didn't even have a computer until around 2002) I'm always working to update my understanding of the cyber world. So the latest thing that I keep hearing about is Reddit but not really sure I want to jump into yet another interactive site-- I'm super happy being here, do a good job keeping up on emails, check in with FB most days but finally had to give Twitter a pass due to tying up to much time on the computer. Which brings up my concern for Reddit. Is this just yet another time sink or is it worth the effort. Thoughts?

Thanks for input. :smile
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Howdy, B.

What would be your intent with that site vs. Twitter - ie, its purpose for you?

They seem (to me) to have similar means and end-results.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    hedonist said:

Howdy, B.

What would be your intent with that site vs. Twitter - ie, its purpose for you?

They seem (to me) to have similar means and end-results.

Good question, Hedo. The sense I get is that Twitter is more entertainment oriented and Reddit is more info/news/current events related and if that assumption is correct, I'm probably going to be more interested in Reddit (....'cause I get all the entertainment I need right here on good ol' 10C!) :smiley:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I'm not hugely knowledgeable about reddit, but I do know you have to sign up withya real time pic, so you can't 'hide behind the keyboard'. I've read some very interesting things on Reddit, so I'm tempted to join, though I hate having my pic taken so I just lurk there.

I dislike Twitter, I'm more of an instagram person.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

I'm not hugely knowledgeable about reddit, but I do know you have to sign up withya real time pic, so you can't 'hide behind the keyboard'. I've read some very interesting things on Reddit, so I'm tempted to join, though I hate having my pic taken so I just lurk there.

I dislike Twitter, I'm more of an instagram person.

OMG, I forget about instagram too. So much stuff out there- it's overwhelming! I might try Reddit and see how it goes. I guess if I don't like I can always drop it again or just ignore it like I do Twitter 99% of the time.

As for the picture, you could always do what I do- hide behind the shades!

• You do not have to have a picture to sign up to Reddit. You create an anonymous user name that unless you share it with other people no one knows is you. You can customize it so that only the subreddits you are interested in show up. I find it does tend to be where most things are posted first out of all the internet sites I am active on. It can be a time suck but only as much as you allow it to be. If you are going there to get information than it should be fine, if you get sucked into the vortex of posting that may be another story altogether.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.

You do not have to have a picture to sign up to Reddit. You create an anonymous user name that unless you share it with other people no one knows is you. You can customize it so that only the subreddits you are interested in show up. I find it does tend to be where most things are posted first out of all the internet sites I am active on. It can be a time suck but only as much as you allow it to be. If you are going there to get information than it should be fine, if you get sucked into the vortex of posting that may be another story altogether.

I shall heed that warning- thanks!

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

You do not have to have a picture to sign up to Reddit. You create an anonymous user name that unless you share it with other people no one knows is you. You can customize it so that only the subreddits you are interested in show up. I find it does tend to be where most things are posted first out of all the internet sites I am active on. It can be a time suck but only as much as you allow it to be. If you are going there to get information than it should be fine, if you get sucked into the vortex of posting that may be another story altogether.

I tried to join and it told me I have to use my webcam and post a pic of me holding a piece of paper with the date and my user name on it...now I'm confused.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I use reddit. Reddit is completely anonymous, you don't even need an email to register. RK, what you are describing sounds to me like verifying your username, which only certain sub-reddits make you do, I don't post on any ones that you need to do that.

Reddit is great only if you subscribe to the subreddits that you are really interested in. If you just lurk, you are gonna get all of the bs clickbait and stupid images. I have 2 accounts, 1 for a general kind of overview subreddits like r/videos, r/pics, etc. Then my "real" account I only subscribe to the niche subreddits I'm interested in like: r/pearljam, r/raspberrypi, r/science, r/engineering, r/diy, r/changemyview, r/curling, r/washingtondc, r/maryland, r/dailyshow, etc. You can get alot of great content and discussions on the smaller subreddits that you just don't get on the larger ones. Many times I will see content on reddit 2 or 3 days prior to it being reported on other "real" news sites, it really is a "front page of the internet" since everyone aggregates content.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    FrankieG said:

I use reddit. Reddit is completely anonymous, you don't even need an email to register. RK, what you are describing sounds to me like verifying your username, which only certain sub-reddits make you do, I don't post on any ones that you need to do that.

Reddit is great only if you subscribe to the subreddits that you are really interested in. If you just lurk, you are gonna get all of the bs clickbait and stupid images. I have 2 accounts, 1 for a general kind of overview subreddits like r/videos, r/pics, etc. Then my "real" account I only subscribe to the niche subreddits I'm interested in like: r/pearljam, r/raspberrypi, r/science, r/engineering, r/diy, r/changemyview, r/curling, r/washingtondc, r/maryland, r/dailyshow, etc. You can get alot of great content and discussions on the smaller subreddits that you just don't get on the larger ones. Many times I will see content on reddit 2 or 3 days prior to it being reported on other "real" news sites, it really is a "front page of the internet" since everyone aggregates content.

Fascinating! Thanks, FrankieG.

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    RKCNDY said:

I tried to join and it told me I have to use my webcam and post a pic of me holding a piece of paper with the date and my user name on it...now I'm confused.
    You must have been trying to post in r/gonewild lol
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    love it, completely addicted- wife hates it :dizzy:
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    The only thing I don't "get" about Reddit us how people find some of these subreddits. I've used the site casually, never posted.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    ldent42 said:

The only thing I don't "get" about Reddit us how people find some of these subreddits. I've used the site casually, never posted.

Think of something you are interested in. I bet you there is a subreddit about it. It might not be active, but It probably has been created. Use the search bar!

Hit the random button to go to a random subreddit (to the right of /all). I found alot of cool ones just clicking that a couple times (and alot more ones that I have no interest in, but you take what you get.)

The best way, is to browse reddits that interest you and find cross posts of other reddits. The OP will usually have a "(x-post from r/***)" tag in the title.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    FrankieG said:

ldent42 said:

Think of something you are interested in. I bet you there is a subreddit about it. It might not be active, but It probably has been created. Use the search bar!

Hit the random button to go to a random subreddit (to the right of /all). I found alot of cool ones just clicking that a couple times (and alot more ones that I have no interest in, but you take what you get.)

The best way, is to browse reddits that interest you and find cross posts of other reddits. The OP will usually have a "(x-post from r/***)" tag in the title.
    What I mean to say is I don't get where these subreddits get their audience. For example, I watch this UK comedy panel show called 8 out of 10 cats does countdown, and one of the regulars hasn't been on for the past like 6 episodes, so I Google "why isn't Jon Richardson on countdown" and I get a result from r/britishproblems
    I can't imagine a scenario in which I'm on Reddit and I organically stumble upon that sub, you know?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435