Options

KEXP PRESENTS RAW POWER: A Tribute to The Stooges with Mike McCready

Comments

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Starting to fill up down here!
    Just gotta find some green and were on and running.....
    Happy hour at the Hard Rock going down smooth we need happy hour in Canada!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,879
    @_Mudhoney Setlist for Stooges tribute tonight. @MikeMcCreadyPJ @DuffMcKagan @kexp @pike_place

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    They were 'fashionably late'...but it was a good time. Really glad I went.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    It was Epic!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jam-gnr-mudhoney-members-play-raucous-stooges-cover-set-in-seattle-20150824?page=2

Pearl Jam, GN'R, Mudhoney Members Play Raucous Stooges Cover Set in Seattle
    Mark Arm, Mike McCready, Duff McKagan and Barrett Martin unite to bash through proto-punk classics

By Robert Ham August 24, 2015

Mark Arm is slowly running out of Seattle landmarks to perform at. Two years ago, he and his Mudhoney bandmates celebrated 25 years together by playing a set on top of the Space Needle. And last night he fronted a supergroup of rock luminaries from the Emerald City, including Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready and former Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan, on the roof of Pike Place Market. What's next? A Monkeywrench reunion in front of the Fremont Troll? A set by the Thrown Ups on a ferry boat crossing Puget Sound?

As fun as those hypothetical gigs might be, they likely wouldn't be as wicked and wondrous as watching Arm stand in front of huge neon letters that read "Public Market Center" and belt out Stooges covers backed by three of Seattle's finest musicians. Billed as Raw Power, the group (rounded out by ex–Screaming Tree Barrett Martin on drums) played an appropriately loose yet powerful set of proto-punk classics. The gig may have only lasted a half-hour, but it seemed to leave a deep impression on the hundreds of folks that filled up the bumpy streets of Pike Street and Pike Place below.

Brought together at the urging of McCready and the folks at local non-commercial radio station KEXP (the performance itself was free, though a pricey afterparty served as a fundraiser for the station), the quartet sounded just rehearsed enough. The three musicians in this one-off group are competent enough players that they could soar and rumble through these classic Stooges tracks with few mistakes, yet they still needed a few songs to shake off the rust.

By the time the group hit on "I Got a Right" (a non-album cut from the Raw Power era), they locked in and showed no mercy. Like a freight train, the quartet kept gaining momentum and speed. On closing songs "Search and Destroy" and "Loose," they sounded, in moments, as formidable as the original Stooges.

The coup was bringing Arm in to play the Iggy Pop role. Possessing one of the best voices in rock, and stage presence to burn, he would have been the obvious choice regardless of his status as hometown icon. Crucially, he was smart enough not to mimic Pop's wild-card stage antics. Instead, he bent and bowed his body, and saved his energy to belt each tune with a perfect mixture of snotty disregard and growling disgust. He had a little fun in the frontman role too, introducing his bandmates by referencing their pre-fame bands, like McKagan's punk days as a member of the Fartz and the Fastbacks, and McCready's pre–Pearl Jam band Warrior.

It was McCready who spent the set in constant motion, leaping into the air and dropping to his knees to wrench some nasty tones from his guitar. Sure, his solos sounded less like the meaty slap of Ron Asheton and more like Hendrix, but as with Arm's performance, the point wasn't to try and replicate the experience of watching the Stooges circa 1968. This was more like watching four extremely talented friends get together to knock around some of their favorite songs from one of their favorite bands. That there were a few hundred Seattleites worshiping at their feet seemed like a pleasant surprise.

Set List:

"Little Doll"
    "TV Eye"
    "I Got a Right"
    "I Need Somebody"
    "Down on the Street"
    "Search and Destroy"
    "Loose"

Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Those 4 need to do a record together.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,065
    Hopefully a soundboard of this somewhere?
  • Options
    http://newhome.kexp.org/fundraising-update-raw-power-kexp/

Fundraising Update: RAW POWER KEXP
    Posted by Kurt Reighley on Aug 24, 2015 in Fundraising Update, News

Thank you to everyone who joined us for yesterday’s RAW POWER KEXP blowout at Pike Place Market. Wow, what a turnount! More than 8,800 music lovers filled the streets to hear Mike McCready, Duff McKagan, Barrett Martin and Mark Arm tear through a killer set of seven classic songs by the Stooges.

Although the rooftop concert was free, several fundraisers were held around the show, including a VIP pre-show dinner and an afterparty (both at Matt’s in the Market). All told, these activities have already raised $260,000 to help build KEXP’s New Home.

The media also responded enthusiastically to the once-in-a-lifetime show, with reviews from Rolling Stone, Stereogum, SPIN, and Consequence of Sound.

We’ll have more photos, press, and video from the event to share soon, but in the meantime, you can peek behind the scenes at band rehearsal.
  • Options
    Raw Power Rehearsal 8-20-2015 photos by Morgen Schuler
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/kexp/sets/72157657670864765
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    Wow almost 9K people and 260K raised!! Awesome!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    demetrios said:

Thank you to everyone who joined us for yesterday’s RAW POWER KEXP blowout at Pike Place Market. Wow, what a turnount! More than 8,800 music lovers filled the streets to hear Mike McCready, Duff McKagan, Barrett Martin and Mark Arm tear through a killer set of seven classic songs by the Stooges.

Although the rooftop concert was free, several fundraisers were held around the show, including a VIP pre-show dinner and an afterparty (both at Matt’s in the Market). All told, these activities have already raised $260,000 to help build KEXP’s New Home.

AWESOME!!!
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    @MikeMcCreadyPJ #RawPowerKEXP on the @pike_place roof was amazing! @KEXPNewHome received $260,000+ in gifts! Photo: Charles Peterson

AWESOME!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    demetrios said:

@MikeMcCreadyPJ #RawPowerKEXP on the @pike_place roof was amazing! @KEXPNewHome received $260,000+ in gifts! Photo: Charles Peterson

AWESOME!!!!!!!

This is now my! wallpaper
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    demetrios said:

The media also responded enthusiastically to the once-in-a-lifetime show, with reviews from Rolling Stone, Stereogum, SPIN, and Consequence of Sound.

We’ll have more photos, press, and video from the event to share soon, but in the meantime, you can peek behind the scenes at band rehearsal.

I can't see RKCNDY. Can anyone spot her in the crowd?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Lots of fun last night!
    Would have been nice if it was longer but hey great night in Seattle!

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    SD48277 said:

demetrios said:

I can't see RKCNDY. Can anyone spot her in the crowd?
    I'm behind the girl with the puffy blonde hair at the rail.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    That 30 minute set was worth every minute of my 6 hour roundtrip drive!
  • Options
    http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/four-stooges-or-rock-royalty-either-way-a-rousing-rooftop-performance-at-pike-place-market/

Four Stooges or rock royalty, either way a rousing rooftop performance at Pike Place Market

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,065
    Please release the soundboard of this!!!
  • Options

Good idea!

• Options

Yes please!!
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

Agreed

I'd buy this CD/Blu Ray combo for $30 in a heartbeat
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    I asked KEXP on the Twitter machine if they were planning on releasing the show since it would be a great way to raise additional funds. They only said their video team is working on footage to share soon. Might only get some of those you tube videos that KEXP always puts out.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    RS151862 said:

I asked KEXP on the Twitter machine if they were planning on releasing the show since it would be a great way to raise additional funds. They only said their video team is working on footage to share soon. Might only get some of those you tube videos that KEXP always puts out.

Cool. YouTube is great & all. It would be sweet IMO if they did something where they would officially release it on a physical product (CD, vinyl, DVD, Blu-ray etc..) so they could raise some good mula for the KEXP. :)
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    edited August 2015
    demetrios said:

RS151862 said:

Cool. YouTube is great & all. It would be sweet IMO if they did something where they would officially release it on a physical product (CD, vinyl, DVD, Blu-ray etc..) so they could raise some good mula for the KEXP. :)
    I agree completely. I'd absolutely buy a cd of that performance, but well see. Fingers crossed.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    Sweet Photo Gallery: Raw Power KEXP at Pike Place Market 8/23 http://blog.kexp.org/2015/08/27/photo-gallery-raw-power-kexp-at-pike-place-market-823 .

• Options
    Raw Power August 23rd 2015 Flac http://we.tl/6og5BkE03z
  • Options
    https://www.facebook.com/events/776532362472785/

KEXP presents our historic rooftop concert with Raw Power KEXP!

Airing on The Morning Show on KEXP,
    on Friday, September 11th at 9:00 AM PT!

Remind yourself to tune in by RSVP'ing to this event!
    90.3 FM in Seattle and streaming worldwide at KEXP.ORG
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    demetrios said:

https://www.facebook.com/events/776532362472785/

KEXP presents our historic rooftop concert with Raw Power KEXP!

Airing on The Morning Show on KEXP,
    on Friday, September 11th at 9:00 AM PT!

Remind yourself to tune in by RSVP'ing to this event!
    90.3 FM in Seattle and streaming worldwide at KEXP.ORG

I received notification the event was canceled?