vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
edited July 2015 in The Porch
just a random poll. hope you enjoy!

Your favorite decade of music 148 votes

50's
0%
60's
7%
NewJPageevenflow82LowlightLondon BridgeguacamolejoeBrainofBGAeddiecjasonrolfePJForceofNature23scidooambst95 11 votes
70's
13%
BinFrogmy2handsGary CarterEddieshometownryph raphZenogiasfoodboymilandimitrispearljamEmpty Glassmrk2themrpearljamdankindAbe FromanPH20Mawky1103hestillstands1015chetski0722JT_JamFanfruupp 20 votes
80's
5%
JOEJOEJOEvaggar99Of The Aggiedogmattwall232spaceballSaravajoanmarie 8 votes
90's
69%
mcgruff10igotid88robbie2-feign-reluctancered mosaspoonfulweighsatonozzykillermrluthor9Ledbetterman10WashedinthefleshpjradioMayDay10bootlegger10GibsonPJammer4lifeJason Pon2legsstawamussmarchee 103 votes
2000's
2%
Driftin'AlongTim Simmonscp3iverson 3 votes
010's
2%
Malrothtempo_n_grooveRunawaysoul 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    70's
    I can't believe I'm the only vote for the '70s. It was the golden age of stoner, punk, prog, hard and experimental rock -- oh, and epic soul slow jams.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,935
    90's
    The 90's were the decade when my favorite music was created, followed closely by the 70's. But the 10's, right now, is my favorite decade to listen to music. Streaming has made it so easy to track down songs and identify artists. Uncle Neil doesn't have to like but I love it. The periscoped broadcast of Eddie's Metro show? Are you KIDDING me?? Technology right now is incredible and I wouldn't trade it for all the world. Right now is the best time to listen to music regardless of when the music you love was created.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    2000's
    I probably listen to more music made between 2000 and 2010 than I do from the 90's.

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    60's
    I would probably go with '65-'75 as there is no denying it was the greatest 10 years in music. Ever.
    Zeppelin, Floyd, Dylan, Neil Young, The Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, Joni Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix, Van Morrison, The Who, The Doors, The Beatles, Miles Davis, The Band....just to name a few. All in their prime.
  • Options
    70's
    eddiec said:

I would probably go with '65-'75 as there is no denying it was the greatest 10 years in music. Ever.
    Zeppelin, Floyd, Dylan, Neil Young, The Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, Joni Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix, Van Morrison, The Who, The Doors, The Beatles, Miles Davis, The Band....just to name a few. All in their prime.

Great book about 1965.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    010's

I probably listen to more music made between 2000 and 2010 than I do from the 90's.

^Curious as to what bands those are from the 2000's?^

So NOW is a wonderful time for music. SOOOOOOO much good stuff is out there. The Weeks, Bombay Bicycle club, Matt&Kim, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Seagall. I'm a big fan of new music but when I want "classics" it'll be from the 90's and it has to be things I'm not used to hearing like Whales "hobo humpin slobo babe". Man what a great tune that is!
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    90's

So NOW is a wonderful time for music. SOOOOOOO much good stuff is out there. The Weeks, Bombay Bicycle club, Matt&Kim, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Seagall. I'm a big fan of new music but when I want "classics" it'll be from the 90's and it has to be things I'm not used to hearing like Whales "hobo humpin slobo babe". Man what a great tune that is!
    :lol:
    I forgot about that song...
    think I still have it on cassette single somewhere in my apt.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    010's
    lolobugg said:

:lol:
    I forgot about that song...
    think I still have it on cassette single somewhere in my apt.
    HAHA! See, It's a great song that is obscure!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,257
    90's
    My favourite is the 90's. You're very impressionable in your youth, and it's the music that was big in the 90's that has stayed with me to this day. As I got older I started going backwards through the giant catalog of Rock music. My 2nd favourite era would be '65 to '75. I don't think you can just say the 60's or 70's. Bands like Led Zeppelin started in the 60's and continued into the 70's. Those are their best albums.

But yah if you don't expect the 90's to win by a giant landslide in a message forum dedicated to Pearl Jam.... I'm not sure what other result you would expect :)
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    90's
    Like others have said , the 90's are what I first grew up with, lot of memories with that time. And 2nd would be that 65-75 era other have pointed out.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    2000's

So NOW is a wonderful time for music. SOOOOOOO much good stuff is out there. The Weeks, Bombay Bicycle club, Matt&Kim, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall. I'm a big fan of new music but when I want "classics" it'll be from the 90's and it has to be things I'm not used to hearing like Whales "hobo humpin slobo babe". Man what a great tune that is!
    LCD Soundsystem
    Arcade Fire
    The National
    Sleater Kinney
    Animal Collective + Panda Bear
    The Radiohead albums from this period
    The Hold Steady
    Deerhunter + Atlas Sound
    The White Stripes
    Kanye West
    Drive By Truckers
    Ryan Adams
    Gorillaz

I'm sure I could keep going.

That period was chock full of fantastic bands and albums. The 90's are fine but I've liked less and less as I've gotten older, its become more nostalgia for me outside of a handful of bands and albums.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    010's

So NOW is a wonderful time for music. SOOOOOOO much good stuff is out there. The Weeks, Bombay Bicycle club, Matt&Kim, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall. I'm a big fan of new music but when I want "classics" it'll be from the 90's and it has to be things I'm not used to hearing like Whales "hobo humpin slobo babe". Man what a great tune that is!
    LCD Soundsystem
    Arcade Fire
    The National
    Sleater Kinney
    The Hold Steady
    Deerhunter + Atlas Sound
    The White Stripes
    Kanye West
    Drive By Truckers
    Ryan Adams
    Gorillaz

That period was chock full of fantastic bands and albums. The 90's are fine but I've liked less and less as I've gotten older, its become more nostalgia for me outside of a handful of bands and albums.
    Very good list as I'm always curious to "Great" 2000 era bands. The first 3 are amazing. I have discussions with people about this. I'll PM you some more about this
  • Options
    pearljam1809pearljam1809 Posts: 863
    90's
    Definitely the 90´s. Call it nostalgia, getting old, whatever, but i can´t seem to relate to any of the "new" music, besides the 90´s and maybe first years of the 00´s.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,612
    edited July 2015
    90's
    There is great music from all those decades. I just thought about which decade is represented the most in my own record collection, and figured that might be the 90s. But now that I think about it, maybe not. I think I've got a pretty even distribution once I hit the 70s. But my large PJ section kind of tilted the scale.... though I think maybe more than half of that is from the 2000s+ (and 3 of my top 5 PJ albums are from the 2000s too) I actually don't care what decade it's from, as long as I like it. There is always great music being made.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    90's
    speaking as a child of the 90s
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Mawky1103Mawky1103 Posts: 310
    70's

LCD Soundsystem
    Arcade Fire
    The National
    Sleater Kinney
    The Hold Steady
    Deerhunter + Atlas Sound
    The White Stripes
    Kanye West
    Drive By Truckers
    Ryan Adams
    Gorillaz

The Strokes
    Kings of Leon
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Arctic Monkeys
    Audioslave
    Band of Horses
    Black Keys
    Cat Power
    The Killers
    My Morning Jacket
    Silversun Pickups
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    70's
    Mawky1103 said:

LCD Soundsystem
    Arcade Fire
    The National
    Sleater Kinney
    The Hold Steady
    Deerhunter + Atlas Sound
    The White Stripes
    Kanye West
    Drive By Truckers
    Ryan Adams
    Gorillaz

The Strokes
    Kings of Leon
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Arctic Monkeys
    Audioslave
    Band of Horses
    Black Keys
    Cat Power
    The Killers
    My Morning Jacket
    Silversun Pickups
    I feel like all the '90s folks have Pearl Jam beer goggles on.

Let's make a list of most of the absolute shit on the radio and MTV (when the 'M' still meant something) throughout that decade:

Color Me Badd
    C+C Music Factory
    MC Hammer
    Mariah Carey
    Whitney Houston
    Nelson
    Creed
    Nickelback
    Michael Bolton
    Vanilla Ice
    Wilson Phillips
    Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch
    Extreme
    Bryan Adams
    Ace of Base
    Celine Dion
    Kris Kross
    Hanson
    Britney Spears
    Snow
    Amy Grant

Sure, we may have had our strangest tribe, but a time capsule would say that this was the music of the '90s.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    2000's
    To be fair, this poll is about people's favorite period, not what's the best. Every period has its terrible music people forget about. I'm not surprised the 90s has the most votes just given the subject of this board.
  • Options
    80's
    yeah, i was expecting the 90's to win out, but was expecting more votes for the 80's. i suppose i see the 90's as mostly a period of about 4 years when anybody cared about the music. the second half of the 90's is a really an absolute piece of crap. i am looking at you alanis, third eye blind, marcy playground et al.
  • Options
    80's
    dankind said:

Mawky1103 said:

LCD Soundsystem
    Arcade Fire
    The National
    Sleater Kinney
    The Hold Steady
    Deerhunter + Atlas Sound
    The White Stripes
    Kanye West
    Drive By Truckers
    Ryan Adams
    Gorillaz

The Strokes
    Kings of Leon
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Arctic Monkeys
    Audioslave
    Band of Horses
    Black Keys
    Cat Power
    The Killers
    My Morning Jacket
    Silversun Pickups

Let's make a list of most of the absolute shit on the radio and MTV (when the 'M' still meant something) throughout that decade:

Color Me Badd
    C+C Music Factory
    MC Hammer
    Mariah Carey
    Whitney Houston
    Nelson
    Creed
    Nickelback
    Michael Bolton
    Vanilla Ice
    Wilson Phillips
    Extreme
    Bryan Adams
    Ace of Base
    Celine Dion
    Kris Kross
    Hanson
    Britney Spears
    Snow
    Amy Grant

Sure, we may have had our strangest tribe, but a time capsule would say that this was the music of the '90s.
    nothing wrong with Bryan Adams.
  • Options
    70's
    vaggar99 said:

dankind said:

Mawky1103 said:

LCD Soundsystem
    Arcade Fire
    The National
    Sleater Kinney
    The Hold Steady
    Deerhunter + Atlas Sound
    The White Stripes
    Kanye West
    Drive By Truckers
    Ryan Adams
    Gorillaz

The Strokes
    Kings of Leon
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Arctic Monkeys
    Audioslave
    Band of Horses
    Black Keys
    Cat Power
    The Killers
    My Morning Jacket
    Silversun Pickups

Color Me Badd
    C+C Music Factory
    MC Hammer
    Mariah Carey
    Whitney Houston
    Nelson
    Creed
    Nickelback
    Michael Bolton
    Vanilla Ice
    Wilson Phillips
    Extreme
    Bryan Adams
    Ace of Base
    Celine Dion
    Kris Kross
    Hanson
    Britney Spears
    Snow
    Amy Grant

nothing wrong with Bryan Adams.
    Spoken like a true '80s enthusiast.
    :smirk:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    010's
    vaggar99 said:

yeah, i was expecting the 90's to win out, but was expecting more votes for the 80's. i suppose i see the 90's as mostly a period of about 4 years when anybody cared about the music. the second half of the 90's is a really an absolute piece of crap. i am looking at you alanis, third eye blind, marcy playground et al.

Marcy Playground's "St Joe by the school bus" is a great song. Don't listen to Sex and candy and try that album again. Quirky and different. Hell there's a song about invisible cloaks!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    2000's
    Pretty tired of the 90s. Which is rare for a guy in his 30s to say but ive heard everything 100000x now. I cant even stand Lithium on SiriusXM
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    edited July 2015
    90's
    dankind said:

Mawky1103 said:

LCD Soundsystem
    Arcade Fire
    The National
    Sleater Kinney
    The Hold Steady
    Deerhunter + Atlas Sound
    The White Stripes
    Kanye West
    Drive By Truckers
    Ryan Adams
    Go

Color Me Badd
    C+C Music Factory
    MC Hammer
    Mariah Carey
    Whitney Houston
    Nelson
    Creed
    Nickelback
    Michael Bolton
    Vanilla Ice
    Wilson Phillips
    Extreme
    Bryan Adams
    Ace of Base
    Celine Dion
    Kris Kross
    Hanson
    Britney Spears
    Snow
    Amy Grant

YES!! That is a quality list right there!! I mean, c'mon, do you know how many couples skates I got at the rink because of PM Dawn? How I would not have been able to show off my speed skating prowess if C&C Music Factory didn't exist?! Thus leading me to more couples skating 'dates'!?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    90's
    YES!! That is a quality list right there!! I mean, c'mon, do you know how many couples skates I got at the rink because of PM Dawn? How I would not have been able to show off my speed skating prowess if C&C Music Factory didn't exist?! Thus leading me to more couples skating 'dates'!?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    90's

vaggar99 said:

Marcy Playground's "St Joe by the school bus" is a great song. Don't listen to Sex and candy and try that album again. Quirky and different. Hell there's a song about invisible cloaks!
    I love that album.. Sex and Candy definitely ruined it for them but the album is pretty good.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    70's

dankind said:

Mawky1103 said:

LCD Soundsystem
    Arcade Fire
    The National
    Sleater Kinney
    The Hold Steady
    Deerhunter + Atlas Sound
    The White Stripes
    Kanye West
    Drive By Truckers
    Ryan Adams
    Gorillaz

The Strokes
    Kings of Leon
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Arctic Monkeys
    Audioslave
    Band of Horses
    Black Keys
    Cat Power
    The Killers
    My Morning Jacket
    Silversun Pickups

Color Me Badd
    C+C Music Factory
    MC Hammer
    Mariah Carey
    Whitney Houston
    Nelson
    Creed
    Nickelback
    Michael Bolton
    Vanilla Ice
    Wilson Phillips
    Extreme
    Bryan Adams
    Ace of Base
    Celine Dion
    Kris Kross
    Hanson
    Britney Spears
    Snow
    Amy Grant

:confounded:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    010's

Ummm Gangster rap anyone?
  • Options
    70's

Not for couples' skate!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    010's
    dankind said:

Not for couples' skate!

Ooops, my bad...

Who couldn't hold hands and skate to "Today it was a good day" or some Bone Thugs?!?