Some of lifes lessons....

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
edited July 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
Cost you a little more than others.

So I am at the local produce store(huge store, always busy), anyway...A big rain storm blows through the area, and instantly their parking lot floods, and they lose power to half their store. So obviously they are having a small crisis. The store obviously hires a lot of neighborhood kids, high schoolers. Probably giving them 2-3 shifts a week, allowing the kids to make $100 a week. So as they are having their small crisis, I see plenty of the kids in the parking lot, helping people with their carts, pushing them through the water, apologizing for the inconvenience. Then I see a manger turn to a kid and ask..."What are you doing? Are you on break"? I turn around to see this young man with the SHITTIEST look on his face. He was just standing there, looking around, and you could see he had no intentions of helping anyone with anything. Looked to me like he was thrilled that the store was in crisis mode. He looks at the manager and replies..."I don't feel good".

Manger looks at him and says...."Well then, punch out an go home and I will call you the next time we need you to work".
Kid gives the manager a shocked, shitty look, and walks away. I turn to the manager and say..."I have a feeling that kid just worked his last day". Manager smiles looks at me and just says..."Yes he did".

Well kid..
You had a job..
You were earning some spending money...
And now you don't...
Now go home and tell your parents why you got fired.

Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Amen. Hoping that I'm raising my kiddo with a much better work ethic.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    See ya punk!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    FoxyRedLa said:

See ya punk!

I would have loved to see one of his fellow co-workers, another kid, turn around and put a foot right up that kids ass.

I could just read that kids mind. And its funny, because I know 30-50 year olds, who have the same attitude.

Its not my store.
    Its not my problem the parking lot is flooding.
    Its not my problem you don't have power.
    I wasn't hired to push shopping carts through water.

Well kid, now you don't have to worry about any of that.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    I hear ya Speedy. A hear comments from others that my oldest is spoiled but that girl works for her extras. Grades have to be in order, chores have to be done, lol and other duties assigned like helping load and unload and stack fire wood when we camp. She doesn't just get to "do" anything. We will do our best to teach her and she can do what she will with it.

I wonder if that kids parents are aware? Customer service can be a bitch and painful at times but it teaches a lot too.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    edited July 2015
    Speedy, I see a wide-range of effort in college students that I teach.

Some of the smartest kids work REALLY hard, some of the most average kids work REALLY hard, some of the kids who are bright are lazy as hell....some of the kids who aren't too bright are lazy too.

The hard working kids are a joy to teach, the lazy ones...well, they have chosen their lot!! (Yet, I do try to give them a clue about effort being more important than anything else!!)

To be kind, I think sometimes low self esteem makes some people afraid to try.
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    This has always pissed me off about the younger generation these days. Just donunwillingbto even make the effort.. And then later in life they complain they have nothing.... You have nothing.. When you DO nothing!!
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    I would have gone crazy in that water...........still would. :smiley:
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    You know something funny Speedy? I know adults your age who act the same way as the kid you highlighted in your story.
    www.cluthelee.com