Do you believe in "spirits"?

PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
edited July 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
What I mean, is do you believe that the spirits of those who have passed on, ever visit us?

I do...I have a story to share with you....

I was 17, in High school, and I was very depressed, my bipolar was undiagnosed and my depression not properly treated because my doctor at the time was a quack....and one night I was very upset and lying in bed late at night wide awake and crying so hard....I don't even really know over what specifically or if it was just a manifestation of many things in my life at the time....and all of a sudden I felt a calming force come over me, and I stopped crying and I drifted off to sleep.....when I woke up, I knew that my grandfather had been to visit me.

See when he was alive he always wore black socks, and when he would come home from work and take them off he would track black sock fuzz all over the house...it was so funny because it drove my mom crazy because she is the one who kept the house clean and stuff...anyway...

I knew he had visited because he left the black sock fuzz all over my bedroom....I SWEAR TO GOD! it was everywhere...and I never wore black socks....I've always worn colorful or white socks....

So just wondering who believes, or has also had an experience like mine.....
Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
Tattooed Dissident!

Comments

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    I recently had "someone" say morning to me through one of my daughter's talking toys. And no this toy is not programmed to say morning and you have to press a button to make it talk.

I have witnessed my daughter many times "watching" something, she'll randomly smile and wave to what appears to be nothing to me.

Quite interesting.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772
    yes i think there was an old thread (or two) here about spirits and ghosts.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    FoxyRedLa said:

I recently had "someone" say morning to me through one of my daughter's talking toys. And no this toy is not programmed to say morning and you have to press a button to make it talk.

I have witnessed my daughter many times "watching" something, she'll randomly smile and wave to what appears to be nothing to me.

Quite interesting.

They say animals and children are very perceptive when it comes to spirits....I've seen my cats look at things aren't there too....
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I've felt it in dreams - scent of the person as well - where it seemed the energy was actually there, with me.

In lucidity, it happened twice, both times with my dad after he died and while my husband and I were going through scary times. I just sensed him (like walking by his spirit, don't know how else to describe it), and it was sadly comforting...or comfortingly sad.

I can't say I know what my experiences were, but I know they were mine in those moments, almost tangible.

I believe it's not at all impossible to have those types of encounters. Like you mention about the openness of animals and the young, some are, I think, more receptive / aware? of that energy.
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    I'm not a big believer but there was one thing that happened that has me keep an open mind. My grandfather on my mothers side grew very close with my eldest child. She was the first grandkid and spent a lot of time with him those first few years. He passed when she was 5. Not long after he passed (it was a week or so) we were in a car with my Mom and all of sudden my daughter yells out great grandpa is here, I can smell him. My Mom went into tears and mentioned how if he were to visit and watch out for any of us it would be her. He was so proud to see his first great grandkid.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    No.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited July 2015
    I really don't know. There certainly do seem to be a LOT of stories and accounts that make me wonder. Of course, believing in this would automatically mean that you believe in an afterlife.... That's a tough one for me to believe. However, I don't necessarily disbelieve it (I am an Atheist btw). I mean, I suppose it is possible that there is a natural process that happens when we die that allows for some kind of afterlife. Energy doesn't die, so perhaps consciousness is somehow a part of the energy that leaves our bodies when we die/rot/burn?? I dunno. Probably not. But I am open to the possibility of some kind of scientific explanation behind life after death and ghosts and shit. I will continue to expect total oblivion after death... but it sure would be cool if nature accounted for our extreme desire to not blink out of existence at the time of death, lol. Perhaps believing in or having a sense of an after life is actually some kind of instinctual knowledge of reality that humans have, I don't fucking know. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

I'm not a big believer but there was one thing that happened that has me keep an open mind. My grandfather on my mothers side grew very close with my eldest child. She was the first grandkid and spent a lot of time with him those first few years. He passed when she was 5. Not long after he passed (it was a week or so) we were in a car with my Mom and all of sudden my daughter yells out great grandpa is here, I can smell him. My Mom went into tears and mentioned how if he were to visit and watch out for any of us it would be her. He was so proud to see his first great grandkid.

That is an awesome story! I was very close to my grandfather, and my whole family believes that if he were to come back for anything it would have been for me too...my encounter happened 9 years after his death, however...but I believe that they can come back in times of great need... Like Hedonist said her experience was during scary times...mine was a very difficult time in my life. I've wished for him to visit again, but he never has...I've never needed him like that since, I guess....
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJ_Soul said:

I really don't know. There certainly do seem to be a LOT of stories and accounts that make me wonder. Of course, believing in this would automatically mean that you believe in an afterlife.... That's a tough one for me to believe. However, I don't necessarily disbelieve it (I am an Atheist btw). I mean, I suppose it is possible that there is a natural process that happens when we die that allows for some kind of afterlife. Energy doesn't die, so perhaps consciousness is somehow a part of the energy that leaves our bodies when we die/rot?? I dunno. Probably not. But I am open to the possibility of some kind of scientific explanation behind life after death and ghosts and shit. I will continue to expect total oblivion after death... but it sure would be cool if nature accounted for our extreme desire to not blink out of existence at the time of death, lol. Perhaps believing in or having a sense of an after life is actually some kind of instinctual knowledge of reality that humans have, I don't fucking know. :)

Thank you for your honest answer....I don't know either... :smile: I just have my experience to go on...and it made a believer out of me...I think experience is all we can really ever base this sorta thing on anyway....I'd be a skeptic I'm sure if I hadn't had the experience first hand, because why should I believe in something that isn't tangible, and seems so far fetched....? But I do...and the fact that you don't know is ok... :wink:
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    yes
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    yes... i feel/sense my grandfather around me all the time.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    i believe they posses my mother sometimes lol....
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    No
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    No
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    lots yes
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    Ah, this is tough because it's still so raw. I lost my mom in Feb 2014. Expected, she was ill and relieved of her suffering. Nonetheless heartbreaking.

But less than 11 months later, I lost my brother, my best friend. It was the most painful time in my life, to this day.

One night I fell asleep with my bare feet hanging over one arm of the love seat. I felt a blast of air from behind rush by my right side, directing me to look in front of me, and a fuzzy, image began to form, and it was my mom (young and healthy) and my brother, dressed alike, arm in arm, smiling and waving at me.

I tried to speak, but nothing came out.

Then my mom leaned over and pinched my toes, then I woke up.

I cried out of control, made me think they were telling me it's ok. They're together.

I choose to believe it was more than a manifestation of my mind in a dream.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    P&E I'm sorry to hear of your loses. I agree you didn't make it up and I agree they were telling you they're ok and together. I can't imagine what that felt like.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.

Ah, this is tough because it's still so raw. I lost my mom in Feb 2014. Expected, she was ill and relieved of her suffering. Nonetheless heartbreaking.

But less than 11 months later, I lost my brother, my best friend. It was the most painful time in my life, to this day.

One night I fell asleep with my bare feet hanging over one arm of the love seat. I felt a blast of air from behind rush by my right side, directing me to look in front of me, and a fuzzy, image began to form, and it was my mom (young and healthy) and my brother, dressed alike, arm in arm, smiling and waving at me.

I cried out of control, made me think they were telling me it's ok. They're together.

Oh P&E...despite the pain, this was just beautiful, and I hope you found comfort in it - even in your tears.

Years ago, after one of my aunts had a major stroke, she told me she saw two of her sisters who had previously passed standing on the gangplank of a ship, suitcases beside them. They too were arm in arm, I remember this specifically. She went to join them, and they told her she couldn't just yet.

She lived several more years.
    hedonist said:

Oh P&E...despite the pain, this was just beautiful, and I hope you found comfort in it - even in your tears.

Years ago, after one of my aunts had a major stroke, she told me she saw two of her sisters who had previously passed standing on the gangplank of a ship, suitcases beside them. They too were arm in arm, I remember this specifically. She went to join them, and they told her she couldn't just yet.

She lived several more years.
    Oh for sure Hedo, I did. They were tears if joy. Still a rough going, but whatever that was, it does bring me peace in times of sadness. We always said my brother was moms favorite, and she just had to take him back. :).

Love that your aunts vision also had them arm in arm. Makes you think.
    edited July 2015
    Yes there's good and evil simple as put Angels and devils no such things outside of that, angels report, mark, help and Devils sabotage good work and destroy and mislead and can mislead people like an angel of light it has no limits the good angels break up and try to manifest their work but evil is more destructive than good so the Angels have more work and they don't sleep so they have time to suss you out and plan things good or if the devil bad

That's beautiful, and I'm so glad it's brought you peace! :-) Thank you so much for sharing your story!

I have a friend who passed away in October of 2013, and I wish all the time for some sort of sign from here that she is ok...I haven't gotten it yet though...
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJSiren said:

That's beautiful, and I'm so glad it's brought you peace! :-) Thank you so much for sharing your story!

I have a friend who passed away in October of 2013, and I wish all the time for some sort of sign from here that she is ok...I haven't gotten it yet though...

Sorry for your loss, PJSiren. I wonder if those experiences are kind of like love - or that person - how they tend to come upon you (or you upon them) at unlikely and unexpected times.
    hedonist said:

PJSiren said:

Sorry for your loss, PJSiren. I wonder if those experiences are kind of like love - or that person - how they tend to come upon you (or you upon them) at unlikely and unexpected times.
    Thank you....it was expected, she had cancer, and it was bad, but I did get to be with her when she passed...and maybe that's why she hasn't sent me a sign, maybe she thinks dummy you were there you know I'm fine! :lol: That would totally be something she would think too....she was like my second mom....we had a very special relationship...we worked together that was how we met....and I am so thankful for her presence in my life....

But you maybe right it may occur just when we least expect it...yet most need it and maybe I haven't had that time yet....like I did with my grandpa....we shall see... :smile:
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    So I still don't know if the one good dream I've had about my dad, who passed 2.5 years ago, was a sign or just a dream about what I was thinking about, just like anything else. But it's kind of funny what happened in the dream. There were a lot of unanswered questions regarding his death, and one of the many ways it was really hurtful was that I was away at college when it happened. Anyway, I had a dream one night that my sister and I were getting inside a car to go somewhere, and my Dad was there bidding us a goodbye. And I remember there was a feeling and a knowledge that it was a final goodbye. Anyways, he specifically said goodbye to us both by name, and told us that he loved us very much. And then the funny part--I asked him if he'd send any signs to us and he just laughs and goes, "Nah." Which is very much like my dad. I woke up crying hysterically. It took me off guard, for sure. I wonder if that was him, or if I just wanted that to be and dreamt it, ya know. It's interesting, though, because any other dream I've had about him since I wouldn't classify it as a good dream. It's usually me trying to help him/save him and I am unable to do anything. Every time since. So who knows. Maybe it was him coming to me saying "I love you, here's a sign that there will be no signs." :lol:

I will say one other weird thing happened though. I was having a particularly difficult day, and was thinking about him all day/night, and woke up in the middle of the night to coldness and an electricity-like feeling came over me. I thought that was a bit strange.

This was all pretty soon after the death, nothing since. I go back and forth between thinking 'maybe there's something out there' and 'Dad's body is in the ground and that's that.'
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • No
    Nobody knows what happens to our "souls" when we pass, but for those of us who believe there may be more beyond this life, it certainly brings a peace to our soul today. Helps us cope.

Nobody knows what happens to our "souls" when we pass, but for those of us who believe there may be more beyond this life, it certainly brings a peace to our soul today. Helps us cope.

Very well put! I concur! :)
    Tattooed Dissident!