Options

This makes me sick.....

OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 919
edited July 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
As a mother, I really hate reading about stories like this. There's so many people desperate to have a child and some just throw theirs away......

WASHINGTON — A resident in Pasadena, Md., called police late Saturday night after finding an infant in a car seat at the side of the road.

The 2 or 3-month baby girl was found near the 900 block of Druid Hill Avenue after 11 p.m. Scuff marks on the carrier and other debris indicate the carrier may have fallen off a moving vehicle, according to Anne Arundel County Police, Eastern District. The infant was transported by EMS to a local hospital where she is being cared for and will be released to the Department of Child Protective Services.

An active investigation is underway to identify the child and her parents. Anyone with information is asked to call the Anne Arundel County Police Department at 410-222-6145 or call 911.

UPDATE 11:40 7/5/15: Anne Arundel County police say a woman claiming to be the mother has contacted to police regarding the baby found at the side of the road on Saturday. The matter is still being investigated.

http://wtop.com/anne-arundel-county/2015/07/baby-abandoned-on-fourth-of-july-in-anne-arundel-md/
I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
Post edited by OceanInDisguise13 on

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    As just a human being without children, this and similar situations turn my stomach.

Where does it end?

Does it end?
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    There are stories like this. There are stories of people forgetting their child in the back seat of a car. There was the woman who microwaved her kid. There are people who beat their kid/s mercilessly. There are people who ignore their kids and make them fend for themselves as they choose their vices over their children.

The road to being a parent was not easy for us. We suffered loss. We adopted our daughter, but went through the struggles of adopting through the county as an extended family member wanted our baby for just the continual paycheck the county would provide.

People need to stop being so busy. These kiddos need us to be there for them. Stop. Think. Pay attention to one thing for one moment.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    sometimes either they are really sick in the head or suffer from a serious case of post natal depression because it is beyond me how a mother can safely carry a healthy baby for 9 months without disturbing it until it is born is beyond me ?
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Microwave??!!?!?! W. T. F.? Why don't these men and women call a family member? Leave the kid at a church? Police station? Fire house? FAMILY MEMBER?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    hedonist said:

As just a human being without children, this and similar situations turn my stomach.

Where does it end?

Does it end?

No. It's more ugly than people know, or care to know.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    edited July 2015
    deadendp said:

There are stories like this. There are stories of people forgetting their child in the back seat of a car. There was the woman who microwaved her kid. There are people who beat their kid/s mercilessly. There are people who ignore their kids and make them fend for themselves as they choose their vices over their children.

The road to being a parent was not easy for us. We suffered loss. We adopted our daughter, but went through the struggles of adopting through the county as an extended family member wanted our baby for just the continual paycheck the county would provide.

People need to stop being so busy. These kiddos need us to be there for them. Stop. Think. Pay attention to one thing for one moment.

Well, all of what you have posted is terrible, but I think the issue of parents forgetting their kids in the car is of a different quality than deliberately microwaving them or leaving them on the side of the road. I've read a bit about the research into these incidents (the left in the car incidents) and virtually all of them are responsible, caring parents who ended up in a nightmare situation. They almost always happen when the usual routine is disrupted; for instance, when the parent who usually drops the kid at daycare can't do so and the other parent steps in, or when they have to run an errand first, or something like that. These do not tend to be abusive or neglectful parents. There is a fair amount of research into these types of incidents and, believe it or not, they really are "there but for the grace of God (or whoever) go I...." situations. We all think we would never do it. They thought that, too.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ^^^^
    I was actively listening until the grace of god shit.
    Forgetting you have a child with you has no excuse.
  • Options

^^^^
    I was actively listening until the grace of god shit.
    Forgetting you have a child with you has no excuse.

Well, I didn't know what other expression captures the sense of that thought. Do you have a better suggestion?
  • Options
    ^^^
    Yes.
    Brainfart.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

^^^
    Yes.
    Brainfart.

No, that doesn't actually express the same thought.

Further info for you, if you care to read it:

Edit: the original link didn't work. I'll try again

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/fatal-distraction-forgetting-a-child-in-thebackseat-of-a-car-is-a-horrifying-mistake-is-it-a-crime/2014/06/16/8ae0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2015
    ^^^^
    I read it.
    Not bad.
    I like how well written it is.
    Brainfarts that cause homicide should be punished as murder.
    Forgetting you have a child in your car on hot day? - really?

edit- sorry OP for taking this thread a little further than you may have wanted.
    It makes me sick too.
    Abandoning a child at any age is sickening.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

^^^^
    I read it.
    Not bad.

I'm not sure how much you took from the article.

And, a murder charge requires intent to cause death.
  • Options

^^^^
    I read it.
    Not bad.

I'm not sure how much you took from the article.

And, a murder charge requires intent to cause death.
    Good thing the intent was rest assured the infant could take care of itself then.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I'm not saying and didn't mean to lead in that most of these incidents are done with intent. They aren't. (Microwaving yes, but the others, no.) I'm sure that these parents/guardians very much love the children they've left behind. Yes, routine changes and whatnot can cause such things. I'm sorry that I cannot understand leaving kids in the car to bake AT ALL.

A baby is not a cup of coffee that you forget that you placed on the roof of your car. By the story, it seems as though this baby was all strapped in ready to go, someone was terribly distracted, forgot her sitting on the vehicle and forgot to strap her in. Was it intentional? Most likely not.

Here's the thing, instead of living a life that is completely and utterly distracted and self centered, we sometimes need to step back for a moment and think of people other than just ourselves and whatever is occurring in the small bubble that surrounds us.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

I'm not saying and didn't mean to lead in that most of these incidents are done with intent. They aren't. (Microwaving yes, but the others, no.) I'm sure that these parents/guardians very much love the children they've left behind. Yes, routine changes and whatnot can cause such things. I'm sorry that I cannot understand leaving kids in the car to bake AT ALL.

A baby is not a cup of coffee that you forget that you placed on the roof of your car. By the story, it seems as though this baby was all strapped in ready to go, someone was terribly distracted, forgot her sitting on the vehicle and forgot to strap her in. Was it intentional? Most likely not.

Here's the thing, instead of living a life that is completely and utterly distracted and self centered, we sometimes need to step back for a moment and think of people other than just ourselves and whatever is occurring in the small bubble that surrounds us.

deadendp, did you read the washington post story I linked to above? It's long, but interesting, and talks about how these sorts of incidents happen even in conscientious parents.

If any of us thinks we are infallible we are fooling ourselves. We just can't bear to believe we are as vulnerable to a slip like that as anyone else, so we demonize the people that this happens to (and again, I'm speaking about the leaving-the-baby-in-the-car scenario, not the scenario in the OP, since we don't have really any details on that).