Options

Albums similar to The Mix Up - Beastie Boys?

halvhalv Posts: 680
I'm really digging The Mix Up and am searching out albums with a similar sound, with or without vocals.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    Beastie Boys have another instrumental collection called "The In Sound From Way Out"
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    kasedoug said:

Beastie Boys have another instrumental collection called "The In Sound From Way Out"

...and it is FAR superior to The Mix Up
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    To the OP - I don't know of a lot of similar albums, but you may want to look into some of the less flashy 70s fusion albums and artists. some fusion is really in your face, but there are some great laid back fusion albums (some of which the BBoys sample on their albums).

Try:

Larry Coryell - Spaces
    Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
    Herbie Hancock - Thrust
    Grant Green - Ain't It Funky Now!
    Billy Cobham - A Funky Thide of Sings
    Lenny White - Venusian Summer
    Jimmy Smith - Root Down (yes, the basis for the BBoys song of the same name)

And if you can find it, try "Ancient Termites" by DJ Disk
  • Options
    qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 773
    BinFrog said:

To the OP - I don't know of a lot of similar albums, but you may want to look into some of the less flashy 70s fusion albums and artists. some fusion is really in your face, but there are some great laid back fusion albums (some of which the BBoys sample on their albums).

Try:

Larry Coryell - Spaces
    Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
    Herbie Hancock - Thrust
    Grant Green - Ain't It Funky Now!
    Billy Cobham - A Funky Thide of Sings
    Lenny White - Venusian Summer
    Jimmy Smith - Root Down (yes, the basis for the BBoys song of the same name)

And if you can find it, try "Ancient Termites" by DJ Disk

Good list BinFrog! All of the above artists have multiple albums that would fit into the genre or sound you're looking for. I would add Marc Moulin to the list. His early mid 70's band Placebo would be a good place to start. There are 3 Placebo albums and they are all really good: 1. Ball Of Eyes 2. 1973 3. Placebo. For a current band making great instrumental music I strongly recommend SNARKY PUPPY. Check out the albums GROUND UP, and WE LIKE IT HERE.

q

• Options
  • Options
    Ok, so more possible stuff is popping into my brain.

Bonobo - Days To Come

http://www.amazon.com/Days-Come-Bonobo/dp/B000J3FC5Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1435598907&sr=1-1&keywords=bonobo+days+to+come

the version I have has a bunch of instrumental tracks on disc 2 that are also exactly what the OP seems to be looking for.
  • Options
    This is amazing! Thanks for all of these suggestions. I'm looking forward to checking all of these out.
  • Options
    Another great stripped down funk/fusion album: Lonnie Smith's "Live At Club Mozambique"
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Peter Frampton did one I think, can't recall the name. Fingerprints...did a cover of Black hole sun too
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Found a band called BadBadNotGood who make instrumental/jazz/hip hop style music. Have only skimmed their albums but so far not bad.
  • Options
    moses-imoses-i Posts: 138
    Badbadnotgood are great-check out their album sour soul with ghostface. There is an instrumental version out too.
    if jah is the ship, we smile at the storm.
  • Options
    moses-imoses-i Posts: 138
    Oh and I love instrumental stuff. Check out budos band and menahan street band. Also for something a little old school i love jackie mittoo.
    if jah is the ship, we smile at the storm.
  • Options
    RB90590RB90590 Posts: 227
    Budos Band