Options

Hendrix, "Are You Experienced" mono- worth the investment?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
I have a fairly extensive Hendrix vinyl collection but not the 2014 release of "Are You Experienced" in mono. Does anyone here who has that release have an opinion about that release? It's very pricey and having listened to the original LP since it's first release, I'm curious. I almost never buy LPs simply to collect them- I buy them to play and listen to them so not sure if I want to spend the big bucks on this one. I spent the money on the "Axis" mono LP a few years ago and it is interesting but I always seem to go back to the stereo LP so not sure "Are You Exp." in mono is worth shelling out the bucks for. Thoughts?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    It's obviously up to you Brian, but I'd personally not bother with it if I could get an used version in great condition at the record store for $15. The ones from Jimi's own time sound good.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

It's obviously up to you Brian, but I'd personally not bother with it if I could get an used version in great condition at the record store for $15. The ones from Jimi's own time sound good.

Yeah, that kind of my take. It's just that I heard someone talk about the mono version with these little nuances and stuff. Shit, I don't even know if I hear that well any more, hahaha!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited June 2015
    A guy once told me "Hendrix in mono is like van Gogh in black and white." And I tend to agree, but if you really want the mono experience.. Forgo the reissues and find a French Barclay LP version, these are supposedly the best sounding version of AYE in mono that you can find.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    MedozK said:

A guy once told me "Hendrix in mono is like van Gogh in black and white." And I tend to agree, but if you really want the mono experience.. Forgo the reissues and find a French Barclay LP version, these are supposedly the best sounding version of AYE in mono that you can find.

I'll watch for it, thanks. Good quote by the way!

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    A few of the recent mono presses have gotten great reviews and I could see how AYE would work in the mono format better than Axis and Electric Ladyland. I'm always interested in a different take, however slight.
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    edited June 2015
    how pricey has this gotten? I picked up the Newbury edition when it came out.
    Post edited by kramer73 on
  • Options
    kramer73 said:

They sell for around $50
    DewieCox said:

A few of the recent mono presses have gotten great reviews and I could see how AYE would work in the mono format better than Axis and Electric Ladyland. I'm always interested in a different take, however slight.

To me the Axis reissue mono is the one to get. AYE not so much.
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    hmm, I'm pretty sure I've seen this for half that.
  • Options
    kramer73 said:

hmm, I'm pretty sure I've seen this for half that.

Maybe so, really no idea. Have just seen a few newbury reissues on ebay.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

kramer73 said:

They sell for around $50
    DewieCox said:

To me the Axis reissue mono is the one to get. AYE not so much.
    Yeah, I have the Axis reissue mono- it's excellent. I'll probably just stick with my early stereo pressing of AYE- fortunately it's still in great shape.