language

2»

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

What I find very interesting is that now that I have been living in the States for nearly three years, and talking in English on a daily basis, it has gotten more fluent, but is not perfect by all means. I do not feel comfy taking jobs where I have to translate from German into English. The more you know the more you know how hard it is to translate... I think I have phases where I dream in English and then some where I dream in German. It depends on the subject and on my workload, I guess. And while I don't have any problems doing my translator job, I noticed that I have problems talking in German. You use your tongue in different ways in both languages. English is a lot on the front of the mouth, German is more in the back. When my parents or friends were here for a visit, I always got mouth pain from changing between the two languages so much at first. I need time to get into the groove with German, but it doesn't take long. And I have to pay attention not to use too many of the practical and convenient filler phrases from English, like "like", "you know" and stuff like that, in German. It is very interesting to live with two languages.

Are there common filler words or phrases in German? I'm assuming there are and would be interested to hear what they are.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    i would like to learn a few more languages
    reading these responses makes me want to learn more..
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    I can only speak English. Took Latin in high school and took two semesters of Japanese in college. Would've continued it but the professor left the university. As it is, I don't recall hardly any of it.

I want to meet a girl from the Netherlands. I don't know what it is but I find the Dutch accent to be quite sexy.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,098

I can only speak English. Took Latin in high school and took two semesters of Japanese in college. Would've continued it but the professor left the university. As it is, I don't recall hardly any of it.

I want to meet a girl from the Netherlands. I don't know what it is but I find the Dutch accent to be quite sexy.

Really??..i've been in Amsterdam 5 times and i can't listen them to talk their languages..similar to the Germans for me..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682
    I like German though I can completely understand how some people don't find it the easiest on the ears :)
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,098
    Back on the ''Lost'' days, i was really excited with the Korean language..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..