Options

Boston 03?

pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I've heard this referenced a number of times on this board. Does this refer to the 3 shows they played in Mansfield in 03? I just looked at the three setlists from those shows briefly and from a qiuck look it appears that YL is the only repeat? Anyone help me out on this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yes
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    i believe that is what people refer to. anyone who has been to those three is superior. amazing set of shows. the boston expriement. pretty amazing when you think about it . 96 songs. all different. 3 dates.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,796
    god damn i wish i was there. hey maybe they'll experiment in msg soon???

if it was up to me they'd "experiment" for 5 dates- imagine how many songs they'd play.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    pjrvm wrote:
    I've heard this referenced a number of times on this board. Does this refer to the 3 shows they played in Mansfield in 03? I just looked at the three setlists from those shows briefly and from a qiuck look it appears that YL is the only repeat? Anyone help me out on this?

The third show is 3 hours and 25 minutes long.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    pjrvm wrote:

They did a 12 song acoustic preset before the opening band, then came out to play like 34 songs in the main set as well.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    That's what I figured. Wouldn't it be nice if this happened more often?
    Songs like Evenflow, GTF, DTE, Alive etc. would be ten times more exciting if they played them like once every 3 or 4 shows.
    PJ easily has enough great songs to play 3 completely different shows.
  • Options
    They did a 12 song acoustic preset before the opening band, then came out to play like 34 songs in the main set as well.

the acoustic set is great, but take that away and you have a rather mediocre show in my opinion. i think night 2 was by far the best.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

if it was up to me they'd "experiment" for 5 dates- imagine how many songs they'd play.

I'm at MSG if they do. Those 3 Boston/Mansfield shows were incredible.....
    It's better to be alone than wish you were.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    mansfield 03 was incredible...
    especially night 3
  • Options
    rodrod Posts: 96
    the 3 shows are exelent.. but night three is my favorite of all time..
    I’ll swallow poison, until I grow immune
    I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room

The Ocean is full Cause Everyone's Crying
  • Options
    pjrvm wrote:

yep, yep, and yep.
  • Options
    rod wrote:
    the 3 shows are exelent.. but night three is my favorite of all time..

me too...the double set...ahhhh...I had awesome seats too.
  • Options
    the acoustic set is great, but take that away and you have a rather mediocre show in my opinion. i think night 2 was by far the best.

hmm that's funny, night 2 is one of my least favorite shows I've been to...
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,636
    me too...the double set...ahhhh...I had awesome seats too.

Me too - front row center - the best PJ expereince I have ever ever had - going to be tough to top that one........

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    pjrvm wrote:

i'll help you out

obviously you're not that big of a fan if you didn't know about the Experiment

hope that helps ;)
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    obviously....
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    pjrvm wrote:
    obviously....[/quote

obviously that also means that I am not a big fan since I was only able to go to night 1 of the 3 famous shows.....
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

3 dates at MSG with no repeats would be out of control.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    Born2JamBorn2Jam Posts: 255
    anyone who has been to those three is superior. amazing set of shows.

Thank you.

And, yes they were.
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
  • Options
    Me too - front row center - the best PJ expereince I have ever ever had - going to be tough to top that one........

Same here.
    Except night 1 was my front row night.
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    Reasonably good way to spend 3 July nights.
    Sec 2 all 3 shows, Row B night 1, Row K night 2 and Row W night 3.
    But they forgot to play Sonic reducer....damn this band, can't they be more versatile live?? :D
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    But they forgot to play Sonic reducer....damn this band, can't they be more versatile live?? :D

Yep.
    Same ol' shit all the time.
    **yawn**

:p
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    hmm that's funny, night 2 is one of my least favorite shows I've been to...

Yeah but that's only because of situations out of the control of the show itself.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Poncier wrote:

They also left off Last Exit and Glorified G (of songs they were actually playing on that tour).
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Night 3 was awesome.......one of the best nights of my life.....one of my worst too....
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    I went night 1 and night 3. Night 1 was my first ever show, and I pretty much teared up when they started with Oceans, and thenI really teared up when I heard them finally play Porch, which is my favorite song all-time, by anyone.

I decided as I left that the one show wasn't gonna be good enough, so I bought a solo ticket to night 3, got out of work drove about 90mph home to shower (I was a garbageman then, so no go on the work to show), then I drove like a maniac as much as I could down to Mansfield. Unfortunately shitty fuckin traffic got in the way, and I missed the acoustic set before Footsteps, which they started playing as I was walking into the place (I only wish Eddie hadn't butchered the words so badly, since that's another favorite of mine...it still kicked ass though).

I loved night 1 because it was my PJ cherry popped, but night 3 was amazing. Wishlist (not a favorite of mine) was incredible with the Why Can't I Touch It? tag (we knocked that one out of the park), and I loved the various covers, especially the Clash and Ramones covers since I'm kind of a big time punk fan. And then Mike threw a lick of "More Than A Feeling" into the Yellow Ledbetter solo. Forget about it, just a ridiculous show.

Altogether, it was an incredible experience, and it kinda set me up for mild disappointment this time around. I was expecting a few less repeats at the Boston shows this year, and while they were both incredible, it wasn't quite the same feeling as those 03 shows where we knew what was going on as of night 1.

Any time I listen to those three shows, I start on night 1 and go all the way through night 3.
  • Options
    MadDagoNH wrote:
    I went night 1 and night 3. Night 1 was my first ever show, and I pretty much teared up when they started with Oceans, and thenI really teared up when I heard them finally play Porch, which is my favorite song all-time, by anyone.

I decided as I left that the one show wasn't gonna be good enough, so I bought a solo ticket to night 3, got out of work drove about 90mph home to shower (I was a garbageman then, so no go on the work to show), then I drove like a maniac as much as I could down to Mansfield. Unfortunately shitty fuckin traffic got in the way, and I missed the acoustic set before Footsteps, which they started playing as I was walking into the place (I only wish Eddie hadn't butchered the words so badly, since that's another favorite of mine...it still kicked ass though).

I loved night 1 because it was my PJ cherry popped, but night 3 was amazing. Wishlist (not a favorite of mine) was incredible with the Why Can't I Touch It? tag (we knocked that one out of the park), and I loved the various covers, especially the Clash and Ramones covers since I'm kind of a big time punk fan. And then Mike threw a lick of "More Than A Feeling" into the Yellow Ledbetter solo. Forget about it, just a ridiculous show.

Altogether, it was an incredible experience, and it kinda set me up for mild disappointment this time around. I was expecting a few less repeats at the Boston shows this year, and while they were both incredible, it wasn't quite the same feeling as those 03 shows where we knew what was going on as of night 1.

Any time I listen to those three shows, I start on night 1 and go all the way through night 3.

I don't recall eddie butchering the lyrics at all on footsteps.
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    I don't recall eddie butchering the lyrics at all on footsteps.

he did on the last verse...
  • Options
    he did on the last verse...

Yup, hsi timing was off, and he kinda inserted parts earlier and then later.

But like I said, hearing it was incredible enough to offset that.

Plus I find the fuck-ups to be a fun part of the show. I;ve heard multiple small mistakes on Even Flow, and the time he fucked up Wishlist after introducing it as a song that was simple enough for a monkey to have written it was priceless.

The fuckups illustrate how organic the shows are. They're not some processed, perfect every time things. The guys mess up and it makes it all seem that much more refreshingly human to me.
  • Options
    MadDagoNH wrote:
    Plus I find the fuck-ups to be a fun part of the show. I;ve heard multiple small mistakes on Even Flow, and the time he fucked up Wishlist after introducing it as a song that was simple enough for a monkey to have written it was priceless.

The fuckups illustrate how organic the shows are. They're not some processed, perfect every time things. The guys mess up and it makes it all seem that much more refreshingly human to me.

I agree.

At Boston II this year Ed made remark before Elderly Woman about how they were going to try this one, but they've been fucking it up everytime.

Then they played it flawlessly........and went on to play the debut of Parachutes, and fucked that one up instead. Funny...