Options

For Anyone who has seen a show this tour...

pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Did any of the new songs surprise you in how much better they were live than on the disc?
For example I've always liked Betterman but the live version is 100 times better than on the album
Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Severed Hand- I love it on the album....but live.......awesome.
  • Options
    Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    pjrvm wrote:
    Did any of the new songs surprise you in how much better they were live than on the disc?
    For example I've always liked Betterman but the live version is 100 times better than on the album
    Thanks

Marker In the Sand grooves and rocks much harder than on album.. This blew me away. Comatose likewise.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,945
    COMA-FUCKING-TOSE.

boston night 1.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    NewmanUSPSNewmanUSPS Posts: 242
    Inside job. I almost needed a diaper
    Most people with low self-esteem have earned it.
  • Options
    NewmanUSPS wrote:
    Inside job. I almost needed a diaper

love the song and the comment.
    song that "jumped" in the live version is, Come Back.
    Comatose was another.
    Inside Job and Army Reserve are my favorites at the moment) and the live versions were excellent. They didn't make the jump that Come Back did.
    I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play...

11/15/91 NY
    04/17/94 NY
    10/26/96 CT
    09/08/98 NJ
    09/10,11/98 NY
    08/25/00 NY
    10/01/04 PA
    05/27/06 NJ
    06/01/06 NJ
    06/03/06 NJ
    06/19/08 NJ
    06/24,25/08 NY
  • Options
    slug420slug420 Posts: 316
    i have to say the opposite.

i had never heard garden before....was totally stoked, brought a banner to hartford and they played it and it was quite a let down. Played it again at the NJ show i went to and it was good but not what I expected.

Its such a perfect live song it seems to me but the crowd never seems to really get into it and they start it off so slow and quiet that it gets almost drowned out until the chorus. I am pretty sure they dont play it like on the album but they slow it down quite a bit in live performances.
  • Options
    stone720stone720 Posts: 49
    Severed Hand- I love it on the album....but live.......awesome.

I am seriously dying to hear that live. It sounds great on the CD, amazing on the boots, but just to hear it live in person is going to be something else.
  • Options
    JackisBackJackisBack Posts: 92
    All of the new songs surpassed my expectations...I naively thought that they can't get better than their new album, but of course the boys proved me wrong at my very first show this year. That easily explians why PJ has been known for their live shows, or known as being a "live band" for the past 16 years..
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    i never really got into marker until i saw it live, much better. And COMATOSE live is fin sick, get detroit he uses a megaphone for one line and it sounds amazing, he then proceeded to smash it on the stage sending pieces flying which was awesome!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    humanlitehumanlite Posts: 36
    Every single one of them are great!!!!!!!!!! Ed changes a few lyrics as well.......I said FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • Options
    Unemployable.

Wasn't really into the first few times I heard the album version. But hearing it live changed that for me. Love the part about halfway through where Ed goes into the 'oh-OH-OH-OH-OH, Oh-OH-OH-OH-OH". Crowd (at least those that have actually heard the new album) gets into the sing along for those...
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    pjrvm wrote:
    Thanks
    COME BACK AND PARACHUTES. I WAS NOT HUGE FANS OF THOSE CUZ IM MORE INTO ROCKIN TUNES. :D I WAS PLEASANTLY WAHHHMAZED AT THE WAY THEY BOTH SOUNDED LIVE THAT NOW I ACTUALLY LIKE PARACHUTES. :D AND OH MY GOD, COMATOSE LIVE IS THE FREAKIN SHNITZ!!!! THE WAY THE CROWD, WELL, THE BOSTON CROWD :D GOT INTO THE "FOR ALL E-TER-NUH-TEEEEEEEEE" PART. DEAR GOD I LOVE PEARL JAM!!!! :D AND I CANT WAAAAIT TO SCREAM "GOT ME A BIG WAVE RIDE ME A BIG WAVE GOT ME A BIG WAAAAAAAVE" WHEN THEY DO THAT SONG IN CALI!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    wasted reprise sounds really good live too
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    slug420 wrote:

i had never heard garden before....was totally stoked, brought a banner to hartford and they played it and it was quite a let down. Played it again at the NJ show i went to and it was good but not what I expected.

Its such a perfect live song it seems to me but the crowd never seems to really get into it and they start it off so slow and quiet that it gets almost drowned out until the chorus. I am pretty sure they dont play it like on the album but they slow it down quite a bit in live performances.
    that's because it's a different version then on ten. they remixed and that's what u got. i agree that the old version is way better. if u like this song that much look into milan italy 2000 boot,great version
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    ctvedheadctvedhead Posts: 58
    By the time the Hartford show happened the album had only been out for about a week and Inside Job had not yet grabbed me till the show. Now its one of my favs from the new cd.
    if you call me Cupcake again I'll make fun of your knee socks and whistle
  • Options
    wpost211wpost211 Posts: 124
    All of them. But especially Severed Hand as an opener.
    "there's a lot to be said for nowhere...."

1996 - Randall's Island II 1998 - MSG I
    2000 - Jones Beach II & III 2003 - Uniondale, MSG I & II
    2006 - E. Ruth I & II 2007 - Lollapalooza
    2008 - MSG I & II, Hartford 2009 - Philly IV
    2010 - Newark, MSG I & II
  • Options
    COMA-FUCKING-TOSE.

boston night 1.

Ok I wasn't in Boston BUT OMFG Comatose at my shows was fuckin AWESOME!!!!!!!

I can't listen to the studio version anymore cause the live one kicks so much ass!

Also Come Back is even more beautiful live...and Marker in the Sand OMFG!
    Gotta say Army Reserve has grown on me now after seeing it live a couple of time too.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    I think most of the songs sound great live. One thing my husband said was that he could understand Ed's singing live on the boots better than on the cd. He is not a fan but is forced to listen to them in my car.
    MAKE MUSIC -- NOT WAR
  • Options
    I will let you know after the St. Paul shows next week.
    Rapid City 98
  • Options
    slug420 wrote:

i had never heard garden before....
    pjrvm wrote:

Garden is not one of the new songs.
    I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play...

11/15/91 NY
    04/17/94 NY
    10/26/96 CT
    09/08/98 NJ
    09/10,11/98 NY
    08/25/00 NY
    10/01/04 PA
    05/27/06 NJ
    06/01/06 NJ
    06/03/06 NJ
    06/19/08 NJ
    06/24,25/08 NY
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    God, I think all of the new album is just great live. But I agree that Severed hand and Comatose are BEASTS live and both are forces to be reckoned with.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,363
    Comatase.... with the megaphone is the shiznit.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Inside Job. Actually, a lot of the new songs are great live. Not the slow ones, but the rocking ones are in fact rocking live.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird