I'm just going to say it, Tom Petty SUCKED!

pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I've seen lots of posts beating around the bush. Just say, it was a terrible show.
I was, of course, upset that PJ was first and that they didn't have an encore, but I was so dissapointed with how lousy Petty's show was. It was like watching N' Sync with guitars. It was scripted, planned, IDENTICAL both nights. His dance moves, his speeches to the crowd were the same. He walks around like he's Jesus, and demands attention and affection from the crowd. All crowd participation was forced. I hate to ruin it for all you eagerly waiting for them in Denver and Milwaukee, but it's a snoozer.
Also there's a good 45 mins to an hour in between PJ and Petty, for no apparent reason.
The good news is PJ was incredible. They play a real rockin' set. The new songs are amazing live. Come Back was awesome. They go hard for 90 mins. Eddie seemingly gets sloppy drunk, which is entertaining.
They also played very different setlists. Be there at 730 or you'll miss the begining though.

Anyone else from the St. Paul show find that Petty fans are fucking rude? These two girls must have walked passed me during PJ's set 6 times and right in the middle of songs. It was a real treat.
Overall, just amazing sets from PJ. Way too short, but amazing. Worth the money and the 8 hr drive and the 3 days off work and the 2 nights of the hotel etc. etc. etc.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Low_Light03Low_Light03 Posts: 1,227
    I wasn't there but I saw the video of Eddie with Petty and Petty sounded awesome. I have never seen Petty live but now I really want to.
    If You Give, You Begin To Live

But You Might Die Trying
  • markinsandmarkinsand Posts: 184
    pjrvm wrote:
    Eddie seemingly gets sloppy drunk

i don't remember it being as bad other tours...
  • pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    Eddie seemed pretty out of it when he came back out during the encore, especially night one. But it was good and he still rocked.

I was pretty excited about seeing Petty too, but was very dissapointed. It just came across flat
  • markinsandmarkinsand Posts: 184
    well you guys are setting me up to expect the worst so hopefully it won't be too bad
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    I wasn't there but I saw Petty last year and thought he was awesome. I was also tripping my balls off at the time so I would have liked just about anything.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    well you guys are setting me up to expect the worst so hopefully it won't be too bad
    Trust me, it WILL NOT be bad. The show will be fucking awesome. If you want an early live taste of Petty, then check out his soundstage dvd from last year. I have TP tix for Dallas, and was eager to see what he was like live, aside from my friends saying he is awesome live. Is he like Pearl jam live? No. Two different bands, and they both have unbelievible amounts of energy. It is amazing. I watched the soundstage dvd, and was BLOWN AWAY. I cannot wait to see these guys live. Mike Campbell, Scott Thurston, and Steve Furone, are fucking amazing musicians. Seriously. I cannot wait for this show. I know you will have a good time, regardless of how long PJ's set is. Seeing Ed and Tom play American Girl is a treat in itself. Also, remember, that us in the South, as of now, would gladly love to see a 17 song PJ set, cause we got screwed.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    love petty's music but worst concert i ever saw was tom petty 1994, in indiana, notre dame. harry conick was better.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • LedLed Posts: 11
    Those of you taking pictures during the show shouldn't leave after Pearl Jam's set. Mike Campbell, guitarist for the Heartbreakers, seemingly doesn't mind playing to the front row fans and their cameras...

Mike Campbell from St. Paul, night 2

Other photos from the show available at leduntitled.com
    07/08/95 Milwaukee : 06/30/98 Minneapolis : 10/12/00 Kansas City : 04/22/03 St. Louis : 06/12/03 under water : 06/13/03 Council Bluffs : 06/15/03 Fargo : 06/16/03 St. Paul : 09/08/05 Winnipeg : 06/26/06 St. Paul : 06/27/06 St. Paul : 07/02/06 Denver : 07/03/06 Denver
  • leadbedr10leadbedr10 Posts: 409
    I have to agree. Petty was, well lame.
    Didnt have any problems with the TP fans. The ones around me seemed kinda amazed at the energy of the crowd.
    Going to both nights was kinda like seeing a regular show, with a really long encore break.
    It was still worth every minute of the 30+ hour round trip in 3 days from philly.