Options

Why you'll never win an argument on the AMT, even with all the evidence on your side.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I also think that you have to "know" who you are debating with here as well. That can throw perspective off big time.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:

It took me a while to learn not to get sucked into the mentality of having to win a debate now I try to just state my point of view on issues and learn from the others ....I respect everyone's right to their voices ...

Sounds sensible to me, Jose.

Has anyone ever won a debate here, ever, really? How does that work? What is the prize? And is that why we come here? I'd rather learn, educate and be educated, discover, share and simply endure rather than win. At least here. The only win for me would be if this place and 10,000 others like it instigated enough change in the world to reduce our negative impact on the environment or stop the killing of dolphins or slow global warming or end sexism and homophobia and racism or end poverty. That is the only kind of win that makes sense and seems worth the effort. Everything else is just glorified flatulence.

Again, you and some others are responding to the title of the thread and not the context. You have missed the point entirely.

If you were to read the article posted you might get it.
  • Options
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

It took me a while to learn not to get sucked into the mentality of having to win a debate now I try to just state my point of view on issues and learn from the others ....I respect everyone's right to their voices ...

Sounds sensible to me, Jose.

Has anyone ever won a debate here, ever, really? How does that work? What is the prize? And is that why we come here? I'd rather learn, educate and be educated, discover, share and simply endure rather than win. At least here. The only win for me would be if this place and 10,000 others like it instigated enough change in the world to reduce our negative impact on the environment or stop the killing of dolphins or slow global warming or end sexism and homophobia and racism or end poverty. That is the only kind of win that makes sense and seems worth the effort. Everything else is just glorified flatulence.

Again, you and some others are responding to the title of the thread and not the context. You have missed the point entirely.

If you were to read the article posted you might get it.
    Filter information and forge your reality.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    Isn't the thread title part of the thread? An important part?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

As important as the content? This is a problem on the AMT. I would like to think if you have time to look at a thread you would have time to look at the content. Are we that lazy?

If I just commented on news articles with out reading the article I think I would look pretty ignorant, but that's just me.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    JimmyV said:

For political arguments I have found that, even when presented with evidence, the right wingers will completely reject evidence by stating that:
    1. It comes from the "liberal" media
    2. It comes from the government (which cannot be trusted, except for when the GOP occupies the white house)
    3. Sources posted on Fox News or Alex Jones say otherwise

There is a danger in labeling those who disagree with you and pretending they all respond the same. It closes you off to alternative viewpoints, making the other guy wrong before he even responds.

Not to mention that someone being to your right does not automatically mean they are a "right winger." There is plenty of room on the political spectrum in between the two extremes.

You're assuming that I don't consider the points....I do

As a former Limbaugh loving anti-Clinton republican I have definitely walked in those shoes. Boy was I wrong.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    dignin said:

JimmyV said:

As important as the content? This is a problem on the AMT. I would like to think if you have time to look at a thread you would have time to look at the content. Are we that lazy?

If I just commented on news articles with out reading the article I think I would look pretty ignorant, but that's just me.

Sure, but you didn't post a news article. You posted an article about arguing on the internet and how people only hear what they want to hear. It was interesting...but it discussed something each one of us here has daily experience with. Discussion of those experiences enhanced the thread.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Sorry if it seems I've dismissed or digressed from your thread, dignin. I did read the entire article and I do clearly understand the concept of confirmation bias. Like others here, I was steered away from your thread's desired focus by the thread title-as-statement which apparently is not what you intended.

What it doesn't do is change what I believe about anything I've taken a stand on. I read as widely as I can, I listen to what others say and (to me most importantly) I go out into the physical world as much as possible and experience it. My beliefs are confirmed by reality. Global warming is real to me. Hatred is real to me. Racism is real to me. Human impact on environment is real to me. I've seen and/or experienced these things. I don't need to look for places to confirm that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Threads evolve. Not all comments have to derive from the posted links.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

dignin said:

JimmyV said:

Sure, but you didn't post a news article. You posted an article about arguing on the internet and how people only hear what they want to hear. It was interesting...but it discussed something each one of us here has daily experience with. Discussion of those experiences enhanced the thread.

brianlux said:

Sorry if it seems I've dismissed or digressed from your thread, dignin. I did read the entire article and I do clearly understand the concept of confirmation bias. Like others here, I was steered away from your thread's desired focus by the thread title-as-statement which apparently is not what you intended.

What it doesn't do is change what I believe about anything I've taken a stand on. I read as widely as I can, I listen to what others say and (to me most importantly) I go out into the physical world as much as possible and experience it. My beliefs are confirmed by reality. Global warming is real to me. Hatred is real to me. Racism is real to me. Human impact on environment is real to me. I've seen and/or experienced these things. I don't need to look for places to confirm that.

No need to apologize Brian. From your previous posts and this one I know you checked out the original post....and you get it.

I have no problem with threads evolving and going in different directions, I think it's great when they do.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,606

JimmyV said:

I think if you can find a common ground with the person you are debating, that counts as a victory of sorts. Doesn't seem to happen often, though.

I find that the agree to disagree ending is a win for both sides.
    You are an 'agree to disagree expert' Last-12-Exit. I've noticed that most people aren't as capable of doing that! I think it's because they feel like worms will eat their brains if they don't keep arguing their point to death, lol. I can relate to that!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

I think if you can find a common ground with the person you are debating, that counts as a victory of sorts. Doesn't seem to happen often, though.

You are an 'agree to disagree expert' Last-12-Exit. I've noticed that most people aren't as capable of doing that! I think it's because they feel like worms will eat their brains if they don't keep arguing their point to death, lol. I can relate to that!
    Lol. It's like trying to convince a Christian that there is no god. It's just not going to happen.

A good example for me is the back and forth between brian and me in regards to environmental issues. My stance hasn't changed, but I have learned a lot from reading his posts and articles. Several of our discussions (at least on my end) have ended with let's agree to disagree.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2015
    I come to AMT because sometimes being involved in controversial topics brings out true feelings and once those feelings are all out - good or bad, then some real talking points can be made and open ears can be had.

For instance I think I no longer have to state my opinion about things like this article
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-creationist-discovers-rare-fish-fossils-in-basement-dig-1.3091266

And I think I can say with certainty that I don't seek a confirmation bias for my opinion in regards to thinking this guy in the article is missing a screw in his head.
    It is a huge relief to not post paragraph after paragraph anymore about my opinion on religion/creationism.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

Lol. It's like trying to convince a Christian that there is no god. It's just not going to happen.

A good example for me is the back and forth between brian and me in regards to environmental issues. My stance hasn't changed, but I have learned a lot from reading his posts and articles. Several of our discussions (at least on my end) have ended with let's agree to disagree.
    Thank you Last Exit. I think what has made it possible for you and I (and others here) to be OK with our disagreements is that we have shown each other mutual respect and have remained civil even when giving each other a bad time. For me, disagreeing with someone becomes a drag mostly when people are not civil (I admit, to my discredit, I have been guilty of ) or when people engage in bating (which I'm doing much better at ignoring, thank you very much). I've gotten along with you, Last Exit, and a few others here with whom I've had disagreements because we have remained civil. There was one person who used to post here with whom I agreed on 95% of every issue we talked about but the one area we disagreed caused us to be vehemently uncivil with each other such that the animosity between us became as great or greater than with anyone I've ever interacted with here. Dude, if your out there reading this, my sincerest apologies. That sucked big time.

Least we veer yet again too far from dignin's thread topic...

The idea of confirmation bias presents some difficulties. On the one hand, it's easy and somewhat natural to have biases. The one example I can come up with off the top of my head is that in my early twenties I strongly believed that the avante garde/free jazz my room mates insisted on playing was non-musical noise made by people who were simply trying to be weird or different. My room mates explained in detail why this was not so. I argued strongly from a more traditional approach to music. But then one day it clicked for me. Something about what they were playing that I hadn't really listened to fully made it all come together and my biases were crushed. I've been a huge fan of that music ever since. So my thought is that experience can play a large roll in balancing our biases if not outright dispelling them, or simple cementing those biases further. Maybe a wider scope of experience is the key.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

Thank you Last Exit. I think what has made it possible for you and I (and others here) to be OK with our disagreements is that we have shown each other mutual respect and have remained civil even when giving each other a bad time. For me, disagreeing with someone becomes a drag mostly when people are not civil (I admit, to my discredit, I have been guilty of ) or when people engage in bating (which I'm doing much better at ignoring, thank you very much). I've gotten along with you, Last Exit, and a few others here with whom I've had disagreements because we have remained civil. There was one person who used to post here with whom I agreed on 95% of every issue we talked about but the one area we disagreed caused us to be vehemently uncivil with each other such that the animosity between us became as great or greater than with anyone I've ever interacted with here. Dude, if your out there reading this, my sincerest apologies. That sucked big time.

The idea of confirmation bias presents some difficulties. On the one hand, it's easy and somewhat natural to have biases. The one example I can come up with off the top of my head is that in my early twenties I strongly believed that the avante garde/free jazz my room mates insisted on playing was non-musical noise made by people who were simply trying to be weird or different. My room mates explained in detail why this was not so. I argued strongly from a more traditional approach to music. But then one day it clicked for me. Something about what they were playing that I hadn't really listened to fully made it all come together and my biases were crushed. I've been a huge fan of that music ever since. So my thought is that experience can play a large roll in balancing our biases if not outright dispelling them, or simple cementing those biases further. Maybe a wider scope of experience is the key.
    "Maybe a wider scope of experiences is the key".

I agree completely. I know someone who genuinely believes that there is no point in traveling outside of North America because everything he likes is right here. He has no interest in other cultures, and thinks that the idea of travel broadening the mind is ridiculous; after all, what could he possibly have to learn from another culture? From what I've seen, he's racist and narrow-minded, but he's perfectly happy with himself. He has no idea what he's missing - literally.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

I come to AMT because sometimes being involved in controversial topics brings out true feelings and once those feelings are all out - good or bad, then some real talking points can be made and open ears can be had.

For instance I think I no longer have to state my opinion about things like this article
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-creationist-discovers-rare-fish-fossils-in-basement-dig-1.3091266

And I think I can say with certainty that I don't seek a confirmation bias for my opinion in regards to thinking this guy in the article is missing a screw in his head.
    It is a huge relief to not post paragraph after paragraph anymore about my opinion on religion/creationism.

My favorite part

"I subscribe to the creationist position, and I believe they were laid down in Noah's flood, about 4,500 years ago. But we agree to disagree."

;)
  • Options

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

I agree completely. I know someone who genuinely believes that there is no point in traveling outside of North America because everything he likes is right here. He has no interest in other cultures, and thinks that the idea of travel broadening the mind is ridiculous; after all, what could he possibly have to learn from another culture? From what I've seen, he's racist and narrow-minded, but he's perfectly happy with himself. He has no idea what he's missing - literally.
    My brother-in-law's email signature for the last few years of his life was a quote from Prussian geographer, naturalist, explorer Alexander von Humboldt:
    "The most dangerous worldview
    Is the view of those who have not viewed the world."

At first I thought that was a bit pretentious in that not everyone is able to travel and I do believe that for those for whom travel is difficult a decent world view can be gained through a combination of meeting others from other cultures, watching foreign films, reading books books and more books, etc. but that quote does say a lot. When possible (and I'm glad I had a few opportunities to do so), actually visiting others countries and being open to learning about their cultures is the best way to have a wider understanding of the world. And it may be that the sharing of cultures may be our greatest hope for achieving peace.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

My brother-in-law's email signature for the last few years of his life was a quote from Prussian geographer, naturalist, explorer Alexander von Humboldt:

At first I thought that was a bit pretentious in that not everyone is able to travel and I do believe that for those for whom travel is difficult a decent world view can be gained through a combination of meeting others from other cultures, watching foreign films, reading books books and more books, etc. but that quote does say a lot. When possible (and I'm glad I had a few opportunities to do so), actually visiting others countries and being open to learning about their cultures is the best way to have a wider understanding of the world. And it may be that the sharing of cultures may be our greatest hope for achieving peace.

Bri,that's also a great way to regain perspective and be thankful for how we live,and what we have.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

A good point, Brian - certainly many people won't be able to travel due to finances, health, or other reasons. I think the attitude is everything. Some people seem to believe in the inherent superiority of their own country and its practices, often without a clear idea of how that fits into the rest of the world.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Okay I'll reply to article.......

Though I disagree with the right wing gun supporting death penalty proponent Muslim killing women's right refusal etc posters on here, :) I give them credit for leaving the safety of other more comfortable crowds and posting their views here. Some I've come to respect and see they are really cool humans and glad Come to train.

There have been a few that had enough and likely went back to their safer sites to re confirm their views.

I do go to right leaning sites to debate. Keep pulse and maybe get something though admit means to let off steam. As I do here HA.

Have a coworker that spends considerable percentage of his earnings to send his kids to Christian schools. Think he's afraid his kids will come home and tell him his reality is bunk so he keeps their information controlled for his comfort and reality.

As to people that don't want to travel feel it's more an insecurity issue than anything else.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

ignorance is bliss, unfortunately.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

Bri,that's also a great way to regain perspective and be thankful for how we live,and what we have.
    I went to New Orleans with my mom towards the end of high school, and we did a bike tour of the Lower 9th Ward after Katrina. I was set to start civil engineering in university a few months later, and when we got to the levees, our tour guide mentioned that the state of the area is often mislabelled a natural disaster, when in fact, it was an engineering failure (the levees were rated to handle far greater than the damage of Hurricane Katrina, but the Army Corps poorly engineered them). I cried like a fucking baby.

I went to school knowing these were the situations I wanted to rectify. As it turns out, I'm a mediocre engineer, and ended a brief career six months in (after aiding in designing a few 20-30 storey towers in the Greater Toronto Area. I swear they're not dangerous, they just took me too long). My point is that travelling helped me see what human-oriented needs were out in the world, and doing my best to match those needs to the skills I hoped I could assist with, that others either wouldn't or couldn't handle. This is a direct byproduct of global awareness, and with every skill I've gained in my life, I truly feel there's an applicable human-centric way to use it. The sad reality of the world is that those in need of the most assistance, are typically those with the least access to solutions to their plights. That leaves us fortunate ones to help where ever possible and appropriate.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    benjs said:

rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

I went to New Orleans with my mom towards the end of high school, and we did a bike tour of the Lower 9th Ward after Katrina. I was set to start civil engineering in university a few months later, and when we got to the levees, our tour guide mentioned that the state of the area is often mislabelled a natural disaster, when in fact, it was an engineering failure (the levees were rated to handle far greater than the damage of Hurricane Katrina, but the Army Corps poorly engineered them). I cried like a fucking baby.

I went to school knowing these were the situations I wanted to rectify. As it turns out, I'm a mediocre engineer, and ended a brief career six months in (after aiding in designing a few 20-30 storey towers in the Greater Toronto Area. I swear they're not dangerous, they just took me too long). My point is that travelling helped me see what human-oriented needs were out in the world, and doing my best to match those needs to the skills I hoped I could assist with, that others either wouldn't or couldn't handle. This is a direct byproduct of global awareness, and with every skill I've gained in my life, I truly feel there's an applicable human-centric way to use it. The sad reality of the world is that those in need of the most assistance, are typically those with the least access to solutions to their plights. That leaves us fortunate ones to help where ever possible and appropriate.
    :clap:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjs said:

rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

I'd echo Hugh's sentiments here B.

A really nice post with the honesty that is hardly ever demonstrated (only with extreme self confidence normally acquired with a lot of experience). I know you are a young guy and that although engineering was not your calling- something more important is.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited May 2015
    Young guy with an old (and wise) soul :)

Following your gut - while still being open, if that makes sense - is invaluable. I didn't begin to truly appreciate this until my 30s...and even now.

Reminds me of the Robert Frost poem.
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    I've declared a winner.....

Me. Thank you. Move on now.
  • Options

I've declared a winner.....

Me. Thank you. Move on now.

LOL!

(Damn... why didn't I think of that!)

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    benjs said:

rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

Which towers benjs? Just curious. When I drive by I can say "Benjs did that!".
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    BS44325 said:

benjs said:

rr165892 said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

Which towers benjs? Just curious. When I drive by I can say "Benjs did that!".
    The sad reality is that I honestly don't even remember! I left during design phase (pre-construction), and when you're pouring over architectural drawings and doing designs based on those - a tower's a tower. That said, the one I focused on was a three-tower complex, one of which was smaller (about 7 storeys), one was about 25 storeys, and the other was to have a mall at its base, followed by another 20 storeys. I also looked at a steel-framed hospital to go up in Brampton I believe, but I'm not even sure if we won the bid for that one.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1