'Beautiful Mind' mathematician John Nash, wife killed in car crash.

I just saw this in on FB this AM. What a tragedy. Nash was truly brilliant. The time of this is a bit odd for me as just yesterday I came across a book called The Essential John Nash. I looked through the book and marveled at all this brilliant work that is far above my math intellect. Truly sad that they were killed in this accident.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/24/us/feat-john-nash-wife-killed/
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    What a shitty way to go, especially at that age.

Didn't know too much abouti the guy outside of the movie, but loved the movie
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Cab driver lived. What a thing to have on your conscious for the rest of your life.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630

Cab driver lived. What a thing to have on your conscious for the rest of your life.

Definitely would be difficult. The couple was ejected from the cab and died. Can't help but wonder where they wearing seat belts? Probably not. Bummer.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    brianlux said:

Definitely would be difficult. The couple was ejected from the cab and died. Can't help but wonder where they wearing seat belts? Probably not. Bummer.

When I get in a cab (rare) I don't think to use a seat belt. I've never noticed them actually out for use and I'm not sticking my hand in there to find them. God only knows what I would find or be stabbed with.

Sad story. :frowning:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    Yes very sad. I think I read he was just honored with some kind of award as well. I've never worn a seat belt in a cab. I don't know why I've never even thought of it.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I wear seatbelts in cabs when they get on the highway (which is where they were) pretty much for the simple fact that those fuckers brake like lunatics and I don't want to crack my forehead open on that partition
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I remember studying one of his theories and that movie made of him was pretty good
    sad book-end to his life
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    A Beautiful Mind was the first film my husband and I saw together. I've kept the ticket stub in my wallet since.

Wouldn't have known of Mr. Nash if not for that portrayal. Seemed like a fascinating man (can imagine the strength his wife had as well), and an awfully terrible way to leave this life.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Sad though this is, I'm glad this is getting some press, and glad they did the movie even though it wasn't particularly an accurate portrayal of Nash's life (and what Hollywood movie ever is?). I think it's important for the general public to find out, or be reminded, that people with serious mental illnesses are still people, with their own individual talents, skills, preferences, and people who love them. Too often we only hear about mental illness when violence occurs, and that's a very small part of the reality.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Oh no! That's too bad.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178

I wear seatbelts in cabs when they get on the highway (which is where they were) pretty much for the simple fact that those fuckers brake like lunatics and I don't want to crack my forehead open on that partition

P

I live in S Florida and it's a must to wear seat belts in ANY vehicle one gets in....you know how older folks drive down here. I didn't see the movie but I do know of the man and his skills as a mathematician. A very said way to leave this life but happy note he left this life with his wife.

Peace...RIP

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited May 2015

I put the seatbelt on the second I get into any cab. I always wondered why in the world most people don't. It's like they trust the cab driver more than they trust themselves, because not one of them would ever get in their own car and not put on their seatbelt. But those same people (everyone I know, literally) will NEVER use a seatbelt in a cab unless I ask them to (and even then, some refuse). It's totally bizarre. What is it about cabs that make people feel invulnerable to car accidents???
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata