Your Dream Library?

I'm thinking that if they ever put The Library of Congress on eBay, I would put a bid on it. It would be my dream library. The only problem? Where to put:
31 million books,
61 million manuscripts,
1 million government publications,
1 million issues of world newspapers,
500,000 microfilm reels,
120,000 comic books,
5.3 million maps,
6 million works of sheet music,
3 million sound recordings
and more than 14.7 million prints and photographic images.

That might be a problem.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    No problem, Brian - you and I can share it! There may be some items we'll fight over - to be determined later - but you can take all the sheet music.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630

No problem, Brian - you and I can share it! There may be some items we'll fight over - to be determined later - but you can take all the sheet music.

Hey wait, but... but.. I don't read music very well! haha!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Oh, the music isn't all you're getting You get the government publications, too!

Okay, we'll divvy up the novels and newspapers.

Oh, the music isn't all you're getting You get the government publications, too!

Okay, we'll divvy up the novels and newspapers.

Government publications? I'm not sure I read that language very well either, haha! But half the novels and old papers? Deal!

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Funny, when I read "dream library", I thought about the environment probably moreso than content.

Give me a comfy window seat/lounge with an ample reading lamp overhead, and my favorite (plus yet-to-be-discovered) books. No background noise, maybe an ottoman and warm throw, and a cat in the vicinity, or FINE, on the lap. Packed bowl and snifter beside me wouldn't be the end of the world either.

I'd be beyond good to go.

(and yeah, keep those stinkin' government documents! They'd make me dizzy anyway)
    edited May 2015
    hedonist said:

Funny, when I read "dream library", I thought about the environment probably moreso than content.

Give me a comfy window seat/lounge with an ample reading lamp overhead, and my favorite (plus yet-to-be-discovered) books. No background noise, maybe an ottoman and warm throw, and a cat in the vicinity, or FINE, on the lap. Packed bowl and snifter beside me wouldn't be the end of the world either.

I'd be beyond good to go.

(and yeah, keep those stinkin' government documents! They'd make me dizzy anyway)

I like your plan, Hedo!

If you haven't seen it, check out the photo of Keith Richards' library in his book Life. THAT is a cool looking library!

Post edited by brianlux on

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I had not seen it, and now that I have?

Fuck me! Keith, you rock.

PS - I would like one of those too, please.

hedonist said:

That's it! Pretty awesome, eh!

• whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:

That's it! Pretty awesome, eh!

I would never leave here!
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Would have to be eBay local pickup only. The shipping costs would be astronomical and how would you insure that??
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Yea mine requires a chaise and a coffee machine.
    While you two are fighting over novels and sheet music I'll just slip out with the comic books mmmmmmmkay?

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    ldent42 said:

While you two are fighting over novels and sheet music I'll just slip out with the comic books mmmmmmmkay?

Yes, that's fine - I was hoping we'd find a collector here for those :smile:

ldent42 said:

Yes, that's fine - I was hoping we'd find a collector here for those :smile:
    Can I just have the one pristine Superman #1? (and then retire, haha!)

• HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Did a Google image search of famous libraries. Some really beautiful ones, even Keith Richard's room came up, but a particular photo really struck me....

London Library post-Blitz, c. 1940.
    Hobbes said:

Did a Google image search of famous libraries. Some really beautiful ones, even Keith Richard's room came up, but a particular photo really struck me....

London Library post-Blitz, c. 1940.

Yes, I do believe "nightmare" comes under the category of "dream". haha!