Being human..

I know I angerEd a lot of people in the AMT when I stated I find more value in animals than humans. That got me go thinking, maybe if I just have people more of a chance, and started looking at them as individuals instead of as a whole, I could develop more appreciation for them... Because I spend a ton of time depressed because I'm lonely, but I'm lonely because I refuse to allow my self to be devastated by one more person. I know the majority can't grasp that serious of a coping mechanism.. But I do know I am not the only one that suffers this fear. I am trying to improve my life skill set, and in honesty, learning to realize that not every person alive is out to get me, is essential to accomplish this.

Any ideas on how I can improve this? I've been volunteering at animal shelters, offering my psychology skill sets go hp improve the lives of the animals.. And I recently gave that up to pursue a more human aspect, by serving in the soup kitchen down town here. Is there any other things I can do?? I truly wish to be a better human than I am right now.. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• BCBABCBA Posts: 220
    big brother/big sister program.

Youth
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    BCBA said:

big brother/big sister program.

Youth

Excellent idea!
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    I think the Big Brother/big sister program is an awesome idea...I always have wanted to do it, but now with the family and job I don't have enough time in the day....but I think you would really benefit from it...and so would a kid in need!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    other ideas please...I have kid-phobia.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    RKCNDY said:

What about volunteering in an old folks home? Do you have a phobia of them? My best friend does...lol, I have a fear of teens I'm being forced to conquer because I'm now mother to one...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    PJSiren said:

RKCNDY said:

What about volunteering in an old folks home? Do you have a phobia of them? My best friend does...lol, I have a fear of teens I'm being forced to conquer because I'm now mother to one...
    maybe...I already volunteer for an animal shelter. Hopefully I can get a more regulated schedule from work so I can schedule with volunteering better.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • BCBABCBA Posts: 220
    yeah, I also dont/didnt have much liking/faith in adults. Just been cut in line, cut off in traffic, fucked over too many times. People are slime and out for themselves. At least a vast majority in our culture. The competitive, bullshit nature is nauseating.

But when you are around a little kid, you see the innocence and purity of humans before they become too cynical and join the rat race.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    Go volunteer at the Local Children's Hospital.
    Spend a couple days a week working in the Burn Unit.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    If you can't do children think about a homeless shelter. There are also abused kid homes that are great to volunteer at but it might make you hate humanity more.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:

If you can't do children think about a homeless shelter. There are also abused kid homes that are great to volunteer at but it might make you hate humanity more.

Actually, considering what I went through as a kid, I don't think that in itself could make me hate humans any more than I do.. What I experienced as a child is the main basis behind the hatred and debilitating fear..I really think that being able to HELP kids that are experiencing some of the shit I did, might actually help. I know that sinking feeling of knowing that adults only want to get you through the system quickly as possible. But just like being a CNA, and anEMT, I know I am too sensitive to try working in the Social work field. However I really think if I can be of help to kids who are where I was it might help. I'm just afraid of failing them, like so many did me..
    And like I said, I've worked with animal shelters.. But I need more empathy for the people.. And thank you guys for the ideas.. It really means a lot.

Go volunteer at the Local Children's Hospital.
    Spend a couple days a week working in the Burn Unit.

Working a trauma unit, I have sooooo been there! We had to work the burn unit when I was working on my EMT cert. and the NICU.. That one was hard too. But it sure made me appreciate life a bit more in the whole..
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited May 2015
    Sounds like you already like kids fine. I think you might benefit more if you surrounded yourself with the adults that you hate if that's who you're trying to build trust of. Any charity work that gets you working with other adults with good hearts and good intentions would do. The specific charity doesn't really matter. The homeless shelter sounds like a good place to have started. How about a charity for disabled adults? Maybe cerebral palsy or something?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Again good idea. Because honestly it is the adults I have an issue with.
  • Whispering,

Have you considered volunteering for the Red Cross? They do amazing work, especially related to emergency preparedness and disaster relief. You already have a lot of the skills they look for in volunteers.

http://www.redcross.org/support/volunteer

Whispering,

Have you considered volunteering for the Red Cross? They do amazing work, especially related to emergency preparedness and disaster relief. You already have a lot of the skills they look for in volunteers.

http://www.redcross.org/support/volunteer

I think that may be THE ONE! Thanks!