California people, need honeymoon help!

Long time member, don't post much in the all encompassing trip but thought I would enlist you all for help for the trip of a lifetime!

My fiancé and I are traveling to Las Vegas in October to get married and plan to travel to California in a convertible for a week and a bit. My question is to all you southern californians where do we stay, what do we do, where do we eat etc. Any help and or input would really help as we plan this, we are hoping for the local insight!!!

Look forward to all your help :)

Thanks for reading!!
EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
Toronto - 2009
NYC Night 2 - 2010
Toronto Night 2 - 2011
Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
London,ON - 2013
Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
Buffalo - 2013
Charlottesville - 2013
Charlotte - 2013
Detroit - 2014
Ottawa - 2016
Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    First of all, congrats!!!

I'm not in California, but just north in Portland. But we love going to San Diego every year. We're heading there again in October, actually. There's a ton of stuff to do & I would suggest getting the San Diego pass that gives you access to all of the local attractions (Zoo, seaworld, museums, Midway, etc + a LOT more) & can save you a fortune.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,694
    mfc2006 said:

I'm not in California, but just north in Portland. But we love going to San Diego every year. We're heading there again in October, actually. There's a ton of stuff to do & I would suggest getting the San Diego pass that gives you access to all of the local attractions (Zoo, seaworld, museums, Midway, etc + a LOT more) & can save you a fortune.

That's awesome thank you!! Would you suggest continuing any further south from San Diego?
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    London,ON - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
    tinz. said:

mfc2006 said:

That's awesome thank you!! Would you suggest continuing any further south from San Diego?
    well, to the south is Mexico. to the north is LA. LA is great as well, but San Diego is easily my favorite spot in California. We usually stay on Mission Beach when we're there. You can find great beachfront condos to rent at homeaway.com or airbnb.com. San Diego has great food, great beer & some really cool record stores as well. I have a list at home of some of our favorite spots there. I'll pm you when I get home.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    here's the link to the San Diego Go Card
    http://www.gosandiego.com/
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    San Diego is awesome. Definitely check it out.
    This great so far :) thanks everyone!
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    London,ON - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    Here is always my favorite place when in San Diego. You are on a pier on the ocean in these cottages. It is amazing but can get a touch pricey: crystalpier.com/
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Dude, if you're gonna go to so cal, def spend a night in Laguna beach. Awesome places to eat, romantic ocean community and art galleries everywhere. I recommend cafe Zulu.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Congratulations from here too! Are you going the Elvis as officiator route in Las Vegas?

Not sure what your budget is, but between food and lodging, staying in LA can hit your wallet some. Still, worth visiting the local haunts - clubs on the Sunset Strip, Tommy's Burgers, the Getty Museum, have a drink at the Chateau Marmont.

Drive through Laurel Canyon, see the country store where the creatures meet (and check out where Jim Morrison used to live, across and up the street; I believe it's still there).

Venice Beach is always a blast, too - actually, any of the beach cities...great for enjoying the ocean, people-watching, eateries.

Hell, just drive along PCH, dig the view, stop at Moonshadows in Malibu for lunch.

Just beware of the bad drivers!

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited May 2015
    Although I'm not an expert I would take a right on I-5 and head up to central or northern Cali.Hike the Mt.Shasta area or head south to mountain bike over the Golden Gate and lunch in Marin county take ferry back.Check out Santa Cruz and also up to wine country for some tastee eats and cool wine tours.browse the Haight Ashbury area.hippie Shiek
    San Fran is a GREAT city for food and drink.North Beach area Italian food is insane.Of course Alcatrazz tour is cool.
    But if you are going south to LA I'll add have some BBq or Fish Tacos on main st in Huntington Beach.Or browse the seedy consignment /vintage stores on Melrose and go see some live rock at some legendary rock clubs.

Just be careful in the LA metro area.Hedo has some new wheels and the roads just aren't as safe now as they were just a few weeks ago.lol
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    :nuh_uh: , rr!

=)
    Wow crystal pier looks amazing, I emailed for info! I'm looking into laguna beach too!!I don't think we will have time to go north, we would love some more insider info for LA!! Great info thank you all!!
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    London,ON - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    If u have money to spare, stay at the montage in Laguna
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    badbrains said:

If u have money to spare, stay at the montage in Laguna

Amen to that. What kind of food are you looking for in LA? We know some great places.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist said:

:nuh_uh: , rr!

=)

I had to sorry.:))))
    So the day is coming up close. We are thinking of spending a few days in LA once we get in from Las Vegas. We leave Vegas on October 13th and have until the 23rd. We are going to spend a few days in LA. If anyone has any go-to restaurants, bars, record stores, touristy spots. We're hoping the Dodgers are in the playoffs and playing at home so we can do that.

Then we want to rent a VW camper van and drive down to San Diego stopping along the way. Does anyone know of any beachfront areas that allow camping?

Would love some more suggestions as we start to plan this road trip out more in depth :prayer:
    Breweries, Wineries, Restaurants, Tourist Attractions. We are hoping to get local opinions as the locals always know the best spots and looking online isn't always accurate.

Thanks in advance!
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    London,ON - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    I'm not in Cali, so I have no input, but I just want to say CONGRATS!!!! :smiley:
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • tinz. said:

So the day is coming up close. We are thinking of spending a few days in LA once we get in from Las Vegas. We leave Vegas on October 13th and have until the 23rd. We are going to spend a few days in LA. If anyone has any go-to restaurants, bars, record stores, touristy spots. We're hoping the Dodgers are in the playoffs and playing at home so we can do that.

Then we want to rent a VW camper van and drive down to San Diego stopping along the way. Does anyone know of any beachfront areas that allow camping?

Would love some more suggestions as we start to plan this road trip out more in depth :prayer:
    Breweries, Wineries, Restaurants, Tourist Attractions. We are hoping to get local opinions as the locals always know the best spots and looking online isn't always accurate.

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations!

Cardiff by the Sea/San Elijo State Beach is a good place to stay. (At least it was several years ago) Here are some links:

San Elijo State Beach

San Diego Coast State Parks

Thank you so much!!
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    London,ON - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013