Have you ever been on a multi-day cycling/camping trip?

oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
edited September 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
So exactly three months today I'll be heading off on a 4 day/5 night cycling trip with my daughter and two of her friends. They are working on the Duke of Edinburgh Award silver level (for the Americans, this is an award program available in the Commonwealth countries) and have to do something nerdishly called the Adventurous Journey. Last year I led the same group on a 3 day hiking trip to complete their bronze level award. I've done a lot of back country hiking and I'm completely comfortable with it; in fact, I can plan, pack, and lead a hiking trip with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back. This year they chose to do a cycling trip along the Kettle Valley trail, which is a multi-use trail developed on an old rail line in the southern part of BC, and the problem is I've never even done a long distance cycling trip. I think this is an instance of "you don't know what you don't know", so I'm hoping people here will help me - what do I need to know? How do I pack for a cycling trip? How comparable is packing 2 x 35 L paniers to packing a backpack? Three teenagers are going to be relying on me in an area that will often be out of cell phone range so I need to be ready.
my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
Post edited by oftenreading on

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    I've gone on trips with my bike, my husband and daughter, but they weren't intense like yours sounds. The only real tip that I can think of-- get the most comfortable seat that you can buy. My husband and I were on a trip with our bikes prior to my daughter's existence and we both ended up buying new gel seats on the trip. Those two points on the cheeks of my ass felt like I was sitting on the pointiest boulders known to man.

Oh, and bring a bag to cover your seat when you aren't riding it. A wet seat is a bummer, especially if it is the absorbing gel type of seat.

Post pictures! Excited to see your trip in photos! Kind of envious.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    ^^^^ Thanks deadendp - two good tips. I fully agree with the seat recommendation - just recently bought a new seat and it does make all the difference. We probably won't need to worry about rain since we are traveling in Canada's only desert. I'm more worried about heat and lack of water, actually.

If I ever get around to figuring out how to post pictures I'll definitely post some.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • No.. I guess I'm lazy like that.. But I have been on multiple day hiking/camping trips. And multile day horseback riding adventures.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Yes, but that was like 20 years ago. Fuck that shit now! Haha! Good luck!
    www.cluthelee.com