Options

noise suppressor pedal?

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
anybody here use a noise suppressor? i just recently picked up a decimator 2 and it seems to work pretty well. seems like it compresses my guitar tone a bit which makes for some nice tight crunch without all of the amp hiss. i think on a clean setting it brightens things up a bit too. just my impression after playing it a few times.
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

Comments

• Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I've never really understood what they do and how they work.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152

I've never really understood what they do and how they work.

they reduce amp noise when you are running a tube amp really hot. amps tend to hiss when the preamp is cranked to get the distortion. the noise suppressor cuts down on the amp hiss. in some situations it eliminates the hiss all together.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I've got a ISP Decimator as well. Didn't stay in my rig long, as not long after got it my rig started transforming quite a bit. Liked it better than any other I've fiddled with, but annoyed by the way the gate would ramp closed after the last note. Worked well for sustained notes, but didn't like how it handled tight stops.

It might work better now that I'm working with much less gain these days, but it really wouldn't help much as my rig is very quiet. It'd just be getting rid of a bit of amp hum.