You americans, do you stream music?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,107
edited April 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
I had a discussion recently with someone who said that streaming music using services like Spotify, Tidal etc aren't nearly as common in North America as in Europe (or up here in Scandinavia). The reasons given was that the internet speeds aren't as good as here, that you often have a monthly cap on your internet and that the Itunes store for buying music are a lot more popular than over here.

So my question is – is this sort of true or wrong? Are you using these kind of services? If not, is it because of your (lacking) internet access or why else?

And is Spotify big over in the states? For you, or the people around you?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Pandora, Sirius, YouTube, and spotify are being used.
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    I heartradio here...sometimes...not as much since I got my kindle but I used to use it a lot...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • A lot of cell carriers here in the US have started not including streaming music as part of data. I recently fell in love with the Amazon Prime music service. It combines a service like pandora with a cloud service. Plus if you have prime they have a lot of older titles for free for online streaming.

And yes our wireless infrastructure sucks compared to other countries but is getting better.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:

A lot of cell carriers here in the US have started not including streaming music as part of data. I recently fell in love with the Amazon Prime music service. It combines a service like pandora with a cloud service. Plus if you have prime they have a lot of older titles for free for online streaming.

And yes our wireless infrastructure sucks compared to other countries but is getting better.

This is what I do now....on my kindle. Amazon Prime music.
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I do at work since I cannot get radio on the beach. It's only Pandora-which is free.

I would love Sirius, but I don't like paying for stuff like that, I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost.

The data caps are true though, it's a reason I won't cancel cable to get Netflix/Hulu, I live in a densely populated area, and I have enough problems with my Wi-Fi.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJSiren said:

cdysinge said:

A lot of cell carriers here in the US have started not including streaming music as part of data. I recently fell in love with the Amazon Prime music service. It combines a service like pandora with a cloud service. Plus if you have prime they have a lot of older titles for free for online streaming.

Did you pay the extra $24 for the extra songs in the cloud? I did only for PJ boots. I uploaded something like 75 boots at first and got the message I could have 250 songs so i just paid it. I ask as amazon does not handle multiple discs well and fixing them is taking forever. Itunes didnt handle it well either but was much easier to fix.

Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:

PJSiren said:

cdysinge said:

Did you pay the extra $24 for the extra songs in the cloud? I did only for PJ boots. I uploaded something like 75 boots at first and got the message I could have 250 songs so i just paid it. I ask as amazon does not handle multiple discs well and fixing them is taking forever. Itunes didnt handle it well either but was much easier to fix.

no...I haven't paid anything extra...I don't put my music on there, just download from the amazon store...whatever I feel like listening to at the moment...lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • I got tired of moving boots on and off my phone to free space so I thought this would fix the issue. It did but I have many hours of re-ordering tracks that I didnt think about. I would still do it again though. About to go clean downstairs and boots are now ready to listen to on the TV down there.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited April 2015
    Not that i'm american, but close enough. No probs streaming in Canada as far as I know. My WiFi is unlimited data (as is generally the norm at home) and just fine for Netflix, Spotify, etc (don't know about online gaming though - I don't play), and my phone gets 6 gigs a month with my data plan, so no probs there, since that's more than enough to cover any use outside of the home. However, our phone data plans cost a fucking fortune here compared to most of the world, and you should see the cost for roaming. It's mental.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I don't know about the rest of the US but in my tiny corner of planet NY most people that I know use Pandora. When Spotify showed up they did a really stupid promotion - their app was free for however long (I don't remember the duration, and I don't think it was even advertised) BUT it was ONLY available on iphone. When they finally released an android version it did not have the free service.
    Pandora came out with a paid version, for $4/month unlimit song skips and no ads or something like that. I actually had it for a few months, but dropped it because I wasn't using it that much.

For me and most people I know, streaming services are not ideal because you still need offline music to listen to on the subway.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,107
    ldent42 said:

For me and most people I know, streaming services are not ideal because you still need offline music to listen to on the subway.

In Sweden atlest, if you use Spotify for phones you can listen in offline mode also with the songs stored on the phone.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I have unlimited WiFi at home...it's just not that reliable. I can be at home doing stuff on the v mputer, and the internet freezez up because there is so much traffic on the particular server my internet is routed through.

I was thinking about centuryLINK, but I heard their customer service is worse than Comcast.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    RKCNDY said:

I have unlimited WiFi at home...it's just not that reliable. I can be at home doing stuff on the v mputer, and the internet freezez up because there is so much traffic on the particular server my internet is routed through.

I was thinking about centuryLINK, but I heard their customer service is worse than Comcast.

Do they offer Verizon Fios in your area?

I use to have Comcast and i switched to Verizon Fios and i think it's so much better then Comcast. But, i'm just one person so who knows?>LOL

edited April 2015
    RKCNDY said:

Century link was much better than Comcast as far as everything goes...customer service, how well the internet worked...Comcast is always dropping out on my phone...it sucks, I would hate to think how bad it would be if I was still gaming....but yeah you should give century link a try...

Fios was decent but expensive and the Verizon customer service experience sucks ass!
    Tattooed Dissident!