Options

Video on race responsibility in America

2»

Comments

• Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Speaking from an outside position telling you what my friends, who currently live in Alabama for work, told me about the or some people in the country. They are from Europe and live there since two years and quickly learned to not discuss political stuff with native people. You better talk stuff like this with other expats. They just didn´t expect it that way.
    They say they were shocked about the ignorance and intolerant way of thinking. My friends say there is no discussion possible at all. And "Obama" is like a cussword there and you just cannot have a little talk without feeling the hate for him. And I speak about people with good jobs in often high positions. I assume they are all white or most of them. Now I realize I didn´t ask about the colour...it just does not matter to me. It seems like no one even gets a chance to change something. Folks just don´t want to change something. They are used to it, thinking they are right and just don´t question their actions and views.
    Anyways my friends say there are big problems and still can´t believe and feel the situation is even worse than the last time they lived there in 1999. Maybe the people did some steps back. They are good people but the political thinking is frightening - this is grown racism, hate and intolerance - it will not change if the gouvernment will not fight that way and really change the system. It´s so sad it could be so much better.
    I´m sure not all of the people there or in the South are like this and I really didn´t want to offend sb., I just say how it looks to foreign people.
    Relating to the videos, I watched them including the second part of Dixon White and "The Dixon Challenge" video. It only got 1000 views! Since April ! ?

Oh and about Obama, they made him the black president just to show a bandaged president who´s not able to change or do something different or new. You don´t have to be a fan of him to realize this is bringing nothing good for the country.
    The same problems all around the world. And it starts in every family. We are not thinking over our family, we lost feeling empathy and sympathy for others and it make us ignorant and selfish. We are not thinking whats good for us all, we are just thinking whats good for ourself. In every ways.
    I just still don´t get that there are people who think they are better than other coloured people!
    Alll colours included.

Looks like even on this forum is not much interest in discussing this problems...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    ^^^ Lots of good comment there, kce, and especially appreciate the perspective you give us from the perspective from other parts of the word (in this case, Europe). We do have some serious race issues in this country that have not been resolved. That it seems to be getting worse is unsettling- to say the least.

The issue with racism is not just about the south either (although it is worse there). Racism is found everywhere in the U.S., even here in so-called liberal California. I have heard people make racist jokes here, heard people bad mouth Obama in ways that are- though maybe not overtly so- at least subtly racist.

Yes, it would be encouraging to see these issues discussed more often here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    The racial divide has finally been crossed. America, we are united finally ....

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    That's too funny.I like it.