Options

Iran Deal, the reset.....

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,182
    now trump is saying he is going to slap tough sanctions on iraq if they make us leave... this guy is just the absolute worst.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,776
    mickeyrat said:
    yep. iran deal is dead. so do weclose this thread now?

tom cotton is somewhere smiling.
    fortunately, edits are possible. title updated for current events...

Well done!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    What was that debate about again? Something about WWII and Japanese Americans? What was the previous debate about again? Something about descending into facism and Nazi Germany? How it couldn’t possibly happen here? That white nationalist Stephen Miller is all up in here on this.

ryme and lindamarie, do you agree?

https://apple.news/A-UcAyO78Si-Y0uZv9jQqHQ
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    What was that debate about again? Something about WWII and Japanese Americans? What was the previous debate about again? Something about descending into facism and Nazi Germany? How it couldn’t possibly happen here? That white nationalist Stephen Miller is all up in here on this.

Did you mean this stephen miller?

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163

Mystery solved. Bently is Hals alternate number. Do either have an extra at MSG to spare?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942

Aren't there enough unsavoury actions from this guy that we can attack his policies rather than nonsense like the fact that he looks like another unsavoury figure? The picture comparison is childish and degrades the quality of the conversation and debate.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    So now there’s rules to what is kosher in the kill the bad guy play ? We just blew up the number two guy in Iran and people are pissed that they put a bounty on Baffoon’s head c’mon people wtf did you think Iran was gonna do holy fuck people are dense! There’s no rules in this game ...
    This is a bad take. You can’t be against what trump did and be ok with a bounty on his head from a foreign country. Well you can, but you’d be a gigantic hypocrite.

This is a party driven conflict.

this is not a country driven conflict

the gop has had it in for Iran for years, from bomb bomb Iran to  trump personally escalating tensions

the republicans start another Mid East war my beloved country can go f*ck itself

let the red states pay for it all. Let the trump family and all its donors fight it

time for tea party 2
    the red states unfortunately can't even pay their bills. many of the red states get more tax money sent to them than they pay in. 

but i agree. let the trump supporters sign up and go fight. i saw that there was a significant increase in google searches for potential draft requirements, so people are getting scared and taking this seriously.

That's the truth I was searching for.  Make the reds live on what they can afford.

Hey, I'm a founding father. Why dont I write up a system where 35% can control the country and makes the 65% pay for the wars only the 35% want!

• Options
    World leaders and countries have an agreement to NOT kill other world leaders.  This is a reason why we never killed Khadafi, Noriega, Khomeini or Hussein.  Killing their military leader is different.  Dude was a general.

Let us not forget that the Ayatollah liked to put bounties on people too.  I do believe Mr Rushdie has a price on his head?
  • Options
    World leaders and countries have an agreement to NOT kill other world leaders.  This is a reason why we never killed Khadafi, Noriega, Khomeini or Hussein.  Killing their military leader is different.  Dude was a general.

Let us not forget that the Ayatollah liked to put bounties on people too.  I do believe Mr Rushdie has a price on his head?
    isnt that a different ayatollah?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options

The same Ayatollah that we put in power, that we never killed, was the same one to place a bounty on Rushdie.

If I am reading your question right?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699

The same Ayatollah that we put in power, that we never killed, was the same one to place a bounty on Rushdie.

Homer's favorite shirt...

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Whelp, every Israel & Bibi told us were going alone in this one.  We have no support for attacking Iran. China & Russia are filling the power vacuum. Good jerb tRUmp!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Homer's favorite shirt...

Cue the movie Naked Gun now too.
  • Options
    the ayatollah of rockn rollah!!

• Options
    This admin is so incompetent.  They are strategically inept and cannot shoot straight.  This letter was issued today, and then secy Esper comes out and says no decision has been made..  fucking morons.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    This admin is so incompetent.  They are strategically inept and cannot shoot straight.  This letter was issued today, and then secy Esper comes out and says no decision has been made..  fucking morons.
    national embarrassment number 10, 389.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,941
    mrussel1 said:
    right, so the man on the ground IN country writes a letter of respect etc that you would hope would be written, the honorable thing given the circumstances.

I suspect he retires in due course.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Trump properties could become Iranian targets

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-properties-could-become-iranian-targets-190912364.html

There’s a unique set of targets Iran is likely eyeing as it contemplates retaliation for the U.S. killing of a top Iranian general in Iraq on Jan. 2: Trump Organization properties in 11 countries outside the United States.

President Trump’s real-estate company owns or manages buildings bearing the Trump name in Canada, Dubai, India, Indonesia, Ireland, the Philippines, Scotland, South Korea, St. Martin, Turkey and Uruguay. Those properties are all listed on the company’s website.

“[Iran] will look for the most opportune chance to strike back in a way that hurts President Trump personally,” Iran scholar Suzanne Maloney of the Brookings Institution said on a recent Lawfare podcast. “I will assume security around any Trump property is enhanced.”

On Jan. 5, an Iranian official who advises the country’s president hinted that Iran is, in fact, tracking Trump properties. Hesameddin Ashena, who runs the Iranian president’s research outfit, posted a tweet, without comment, linking to a Forbes web page on Trump’s personal wealth that lists 19 Trump properties, mostly in the United States. The Trump Organization owns those properties. Most of the firm’s international properties are owned by others, with the Trump Organization branding and managing them.

“We have ZERO problems with the American people,” Ashena wrote, in English, in a separate tweet. “Our sole problem is Trump. In the event of war, it is he who will bear full responsibility.”

The Trump Organization did not respond to Yahoo Finance questions about security enhancements at properties it owns or manages.

Watching for retaliation

An Iranian attack on a Trump property in the United States would be an overt act of terrorism likely to trigger an aggressive U.S. military response that could be devastating for Iran. It might also generate domestic support for Trump and help him get reelected if it occurred before the November election. If Iran denied responsibility for such an attack, suspicion would fall on them anyway and it might not matter.

An attack on a Trump property outside the United States might be different, since the United States wouldn’t automatically be able to characterize it as a violation of U.S. sovereignty. Foreign investigators might bungle the investigation into who did it. The United States could retaliate militarily against Iran as an ally, but that would be odd if it were in association with a country like Indonesia or the Philippines that isn’t a normal military partner and might not even want U.S. assistance.

Security experts point out that in addition to conventional military assets such as missiles, mines and submarines, Iran has cyberwarfare capabilities and could cause digital disruption. Cyber attacks could narrowly target individual organizations or aim to cause havoc by disabling power grids or other essential infrastructure.

Iranian-backed militias are known mainly for the trouble they cause in other parts of the Middle East, such as Yemen, Lebanon and Syria. But Iran has gone much further from home in the past to avenge perceived grievances. The Iranian proxy group Hezbollah planned and carried out two attacks on Jewish and Israeli sites in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1992 and 1994 that killed more than 100 and injured hundreds more. The trigger for those attacks was Argentina’s suspension of cooperation on nuclear technology with Iran.

The theocratic nation faces tough choices in weighing how to respond to the U.S. airstrike that killed Iranian general Qassem Soleimani and five others as they were leaving the Baghdad airport on Jan. 2. Trump has threatened devastating retaliation for any attack that harms Americans and can be traced to Iran. And Iran would be the immediate suspect in a covert attack. “There will be a carefully calibrated response over the long term,” says Maloney of the Brookings Institution. “With an eye to what serves their interests best.”

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,871
    i'd bet on a summer attack. not on american soil. too risky for iran. by a rogue group that could claim responsibility but paid for by iran. 

or eric trump conducts a false flag event and ends up accidentally shoving the lit dynamite up his own ass and blaming it on hillary. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I really hope the situation will calm down and not the other way around. 
  • Options

Trump properties could become Iranian targets

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-properties-could-become-iranian-targets-190912364.html

There’s a unique set of targets Iran is likely eyeing as it contemplates retaliation for the U.S. killing of a top Iranian general in Iraq on Jan. 2: Trump Organization properties in 11 countries outside the United States.

President Trump’s real-estate company owns or manages buildings bearing the Trump name in Canada, Dubai, India, Indonesia, Ireland, the Philippines, Scotland, South Korea, St. Martin, Turkey and Uruguay. Those properties are all listed on the company’s website.

“[Iran] will look for the most opportune chance to strike back in a way that hurts President Trump personally,” Iran scholar Suzanne Maloney of the Brookings Institution said on a recent Lawfare podcast. “I will assume security around any Trump property is enhanced.”

On Jan. 5, an Iranian official who advises the country’s president hinted that Iran is, in fact, tracking Trump properties. Hesameddin Ashena, who runs the Iranian president’s research outfit, posted a tweet, without comment, linking to a Forbes web page on Trump’s personal wealth that lists 19 Trump properties, mostly in the United States. The Trump Organization owns those properties. Most of the firm’s international properties are owned by others, with the Trump Organization branding and managing them.

“We have ZERO problems with the American people,” Ashena wrote, in English, in a separate tweet. “Our sole problem is Trump. In the event of war, it is he who will bear full responsibility.”

The Trump Organization did not respond to Yahoo Finance questions about security enhancements at properties it owns or manages.

Watching for retaliation

An Iranian attack on a Trump property in the United States would be an overt act of terrorism likely to trigger an aggressive U.S. military response that could be devastating for Iran. It might also generate domestic support for Trump and help him get reelected if it occurred before the November election. If Iran denied responsibility for such an attack, suspicion would fall on them anyway and it might not matter.

An attack on a Trump property outside the United States might be different, since the United States wouldn’t automatically be able to characterize it as a violation of U.S. sovereignty. Foreign investigators might bungle the investigation into who did it. The United States could retaliate militarily against Iran as an ally, but that would be odd if it were in association with a country like Indonesia or the Philippines that isn’t a normal military partner and might not even want U.S. assistance.

Security experts point out that in addition to conventional military assets such as missiles, mines and submarines, Iran has cyberwarfare capabilities and could cause digital disruption. Cyber attacks could narrowly target individual organizations or aim to cause havoc by disabling power grids or other essential infrastructure.

Iranian-backed militias are known mainly for the trouble they cause in other parts of the Middle East, such as Yemen, Lebanon and Syria. But Iran has gone much further from home in the past to avenge perceived grievances. The Iranian proxy group Hezbollah planned and carried out two attacks on Jewish and Israeli sites in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1992 and 1994 that killed more than 100 and injured hundreds more. The trigger for those attacks was Argentina’s suspension of cooperation on nuclear technology with Iran.

The theocratic nation faces tough choices in weighing how to respond to the U.S. airstrike that killed Iranian general Qassem Soleimani and five others as they were leaving the Baghdad airport on Jan. 2. Trump has threatened devastating retaliation for any attack that harms Americans and can be traced to Iran. And Iran would be the immediate suspect in a covert attack. “There will be a carefully calibrated response over the long term,” says Maloney of the Brookings Institution. “With an eye to what serves their interests best.”

When I was in Iraq meeting w some people I was whisked away and out of site.  I asked "why"?  My co-worker told me for my safety and that the people we were negotiating with were Iranian and they couldn't be trusted.

I thought they were being overly cautious or bigoted but after reading this article maybe they did have my best intentions at hand.
  • Options
      BBC News - Esmail Qaani: The new man leading Iran's elite Quds Force
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51008996

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

According to useful administration talking points, this general was literally mopping floors last week.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

According to useful administration talking points, this general was literally mopping floors last week.  
    well. if those talking points were printed on toilet paper, I wouldnt wipe my ass with it. I would however pick up some dog shit....

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,776
    I've signed up to go to our local rally to oppose war with Iran.  Others here might consider doing the same, especially if you want to make your voice heard in beyond this forum, FB, Twitter, etc.:

We will not be forced into another war. On Thursday, January 9, at 5 p.m. local time, the anti-war majority in this country will get visible to oppose Trump's war and say #NoWarWithIran.

Trump's reckless action has needlessly endangered countless lives of U.S. troops, Iraqis, Iranians, and countless other civilians. The devastation that a war with Iran could bring upon the earth and humanity cannot be overstated—millions of lives hang in the balance. None of us will win, except politicians and corporations. Even more resources that our communities desperately need will be wasted on unnecessary violence. People in the United States and across the globe are tired of war—from the military families who have seen multiple generations serve in the same conflict, to the Iranian, Iraqi, and Afghan families in the United States who worry for their loved ones back home.

We've learned our lessons from Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, and global endless war. We will not be driven by lies into another war. We will not allow our Iranian-American and Muslim neighbors to be targeted by law enforcement. We will not be divided.

When Trump acts with ignorance, fear, and ego, we will act with diplomacy and prioritize what is best for humanity. We are the majority. We stand united. And we oppose Trump's war with Iran.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,991
    Hi! said:
    Fuck...
    What happens after we bomb those 52 sites? It’s happening. Iran is gonna retaliate, Trump already said 52 sites. Will it be all 52 at once?
    “Cultural Sites”? 
    This 52 reference blows me away....so 40 years ago there were 52 hostages and now we are going to identify 52 sites to represent them?

Let's hope the Iranians forget about that passenger plane that we blew out of the sky killing 290 people
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,843
    Hi! said:
    Fuck...
    What happens after we bomb those 52 sites? It’s happening. Iran is gonna retaliate, Trump already said 52 sites. Will it be all 52 at once?
    “Cultural Sites”? 
    This 52 reference blows me away....so 40 years ago there were 52 hostages and now we are going to identify 52 sites to represent them?

Let's hope the Iranians forget about that passenger plane that we blew out of the sky killing 290 people
    They remember 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpost.com/news/world/rouhani-warns-trump-not-to-threaten-the-iranian-nation-tweets-about-airliner-downed-in-1988/amp

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    Fuck...
    “Cultural Sites”? 

They remember 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpost.com/news/world/rouhani-warns-trump-not-to-threaten-the-iranian-nation-tweets-about-airliner-downed-in-1988/amp

When I flew back from Dubai we had to go over Iranian airspace.  This was the only time I was ever scared of flying over another country.  Luckily we flew on Royal Jordanian so that may have been why we were safe.

It is very unnerving to fly to other areas when their is conflict with other countries.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    I've signed up to go to our local rally to oppose war with Iran.  Others here might consider doing the same, especially if you want to make your voice heard in beyond this forum, FB, Twitter, etc.:

We will not be forced into another war. On Thursday, January 9, at 5 p.m. local time, the anti-war majority in this country will get visible to oppose Trump's war and say #NoWarWithIran.

Trump's reckless action has needlessly endangered countless lives of U.S. troops, Iraqis, Iranians, and countless other civilians. The devastation that a war with Iran could bring upon the earth and humanity cannot be overstated—millions of lives hang in the balance. None of us will win, except politicians and corporations. Even more resources that our communities desperately need will be wasted on unnecessary violence. People in the United States and across the globe are tired of war—from the military families who have seen multiple generations serve in the same conflict, to the Iranian, Iraqi, and Afghan families in the United States who worry for their loved ones back home.

We've learned our lessons from Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen, and global endless war. We will not be driven by lies into another war. We will not allow our Iranian-American and Muslim neighbors to be targeted by law enforcement. We will not be divided.

When Trump acts with ignorance, fear, and ego, we will act with diplomacy and prioritize what is best for humanity. We are the majority. We stand united. And we oppose Trump's war with Iran.

Have fun, Brian. I hope you make some good friends.

If any part of me still believed that we are living in a democracy in which citizens' voices actually matter, I'd consider attending a local rally. Although the one closest to me is in a gunrackpickuptruckville, and I generally avoid such places. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,991
    Hi! said:
    Fuck...
    “Cultural Sites”? 

They remember 

Crazy....and once again tRump is outfoxed by an "enemy"

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana