Options

Evacuation fuckin rocks

JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
edited March 2015 in The Porch
Yeah, Evacuation, the song everyone seems to hate (even Matt acknowledges this)..
It's the more complex and intricated song from the PJ catalog (first song Matt wrote for the band, too), and it's a pleasure to play on guitar..
It's interesting to look at the time signatures included in this song (interesting for those who cares about those things, I would say), but I think learning the structure of the song may help to appreciate the song a little more..
It kicks in in 4/4 (first five bars), and then the verse is composed of two 7/8 bars and two 5/8 bars (played twice), third time is two 7/8 bars, one 5/8 bars, one 3/4 bar, and then the first chorus (another five 4/4 bars).. in this section there are four subsequent bars, one of each with a different time signature (7/8, 5/8, 3/4 and 4/4).. really cool.
Then the second verse, again two 7/8 and two 5/8 bars (x2), third time is two 7/8 bars, one 5/8 bar, one 5/4 bar and then comes the first bridge (like before, four bars with different time signatures).
The first bridge basically shifts from 4/4 to 5/4 bars (specifically, first bar is 4/4, then one 5/4 bar, one 4/4 bar, three 5/4 bars, one 4/4 bar, one 5/4 bar, one 4/4 bar, one 5/4 bar, one 4/4 bar, and last bar is 3/4).
Then comes the second chorus (nine 4/4 bars), then the second bridge (five 4/4 bars and one 5/4 bar). At this point there's the third bridge played in 4/4 (twelve bars, the last one is in 3/4). Then comes the third chorus, and from this point the song is in 4/4 till the end.
Anyone can listen to the song and identify each bar, you just have to tap your finger or foot in time with the music (if you are unsure about this, listen to a live version, the four drumstick intro).
This post is my tribute to the song, and to the great Matt Fuckin Cameron.

ps: In the Moonlight is another great one, by the way, I'll talk about it in the future..
Post edited by Jammalambo on

Comments

• Options
    :glasses:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    edited March 2015

:glasses:

:lol:
    ..but don't forget the main point of this post: Matt fuckin rocks, his songs are great, and PJ fans who disagree are pussies.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Double post, sorry.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    just because it's complex and intricate doesn't mean it's good. sorry bro, evacuation live is a train wreck.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    Great song. One of their most unique. Excellent songwriting and vocals from Ed.

Very good live on Binaural tour. Rarely played since then, so of course it hasn't been perfect since.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

just because it's complex and intricate doesn't mean it's good. sorry bro, evacuation live is a train wreck.

you are one of the pussies I was talking about :lol:
    Jokes apart, I think it's great regardless its time signatures or complexity..
    Live, well, some versions are great (go watch the touring band 2000 version), others not so much.. If they played and practiced it more, it would be better, obviously, but that happens with other Matt songs, like In the Moonlight (only played once, that's really a shame), Cropduster, You Are.. I guess you don't like those, too, right?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    mcgruff10 said:

It's funny when the song came out, I hated it. Immediately dismissed it as the worst on the album and nearly always skip it on Binarual or bootlegs. And yet, when I was at MSG 2 in 2003 and they played it, I turned to my friend and said " Am I crazy or was that good?" He agreed. I've seen them play it 2 times after that and didn't care for it. If it comes up on my playlist on my phone or computer, I don't care for it. But for like 3 and half minutes on July 9, 2003, it was pretty good. I'm not sure why.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

Great song. One of their most unique. Excellent songwriting and vocals from Ed.

Very good live on Binaural tour. Rarely played since then, so of course it hasn't been perfect since.

Exactly.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840

mcgruff10 said:

you are one of the pussies I was talking about :lol:
    Jokes apart, I think it's great regardless its time signatures or complexity..
    Live, well, some versions are great (go watch the touring band 2000 version), others not so much.. If they played and practiced it more, it would be better, obviously, but that happens with other Matt songs, like In the Moonlight (only played once, that's really a shame), Cropduster, You Are.. I guess you don't like those, too, right?
    You re absolutely correct, not a fan of matt songs at all. I just don't like his song writing style. To me they just aren't good live. I m such a pussy ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 992

Yeah, Evacuation, the song everyone seems to hate (even Matt acknowledges this)..
    It's the more complex and intricated song from the PJ catalog (first song Matt wrote for the band, too), and it's a pleasure to play on guitar..
    It's interesting to look at the time signatures included in this song (interesting for those who cares about those things, I would say), but I think learning the structure of the song may help to appreciate the song a little more..
    It kicks in in 4/4 (first five bars), and then the verse is composed of two 7/8 bars and two 5/8 bars (played twice), third time is two 7/8 bars, one 5/8 bars, one 3/4 bar, and then the first chorus (another five 4/4 bars).. in this section there are four subsequent bars, one of each with a different time signature (7/8, 5/8, 3/4 and 4/4).. really cool.
    Then the second verse, again two 7/8 and two 5/8 bars (x2), third time is two 7/8 bars, one 5/8 bar, one 5/4 bar and then comes the first bridge (like before, four bars with different time signatures).
    The first bridge basically shifts from 4/4 to 5/4 bars (specifically, first bar is 4/4, then one 5/4 bar, one 4/4 bar, three 5/4 bars, one 4/4 bar, one 5/4 bar, one 4/4 bar, one 5/4 bar, one 4/4 bar, and last bar is 3/4).
    Then comes the second chorus (nine 4/4 bars), then the second bridge (five 4/4 bars and one 5/4 bar). At this point there's the third bridge played in 4/4 (twelve bars, the last one is in 3/4). Then comes the third chorus, and from this point the song is in 4/4 till the end.
    Anyone can listen to the song and identify each bar, you just have to tap your finger or foot in time with the music (if you are unsure about this, listen to a live version, the four drumstick intro).
    This post is my tribute to the song, and to the great Matt Fuckin Cameron.

ps: In the Moonlight is another great one, by the way, I'll talk about it in the future..

Looking forward to talking about In the Moonlight which maybe should of been on Binaural along with Sad. Two songs that are definitely up there with their best
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,251
    LOVE this song, finally got it live last year....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYtg7TEtYsA
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    one of the worst songs Pearl Jam put on a record of theirs
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee said:

man, you deserve other 20 songs like Sirens.. :wink:
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I really dig the songs Matt wrote. I'm sure I am in the minority which is probably why he hasn't wrote a ton since. I thought he brought a unique style to the table.
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    Just to comment on the idea that it would be better if they played it more, that's true with anything rare.....

I love that they played the entirety of No Code at moline, but for a professional band, a few of those tracks were weak. I love the fact that this band will do anything, or play anything, at any moment, but sometimes it would be nice if they actually anticipated some of these rarities and practiced them first.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,810
    I don't really pay attention to who wrote what, so to this point, I didn't know it was a Matt song. But I have always really liked it and never got the hate for it.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

I don't really pay attention to who wrote what, so to this point, I didn't know it was a Matt song. But I have always really liked it and never got the hate for it.

the chorus

it's horr-awful
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Evacuation is and always has been one of my favorite tracks on Binaural.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,772
    Jeez I guess I'm in the minority too. I understand and appreciate intricate and unique time signatures but had never broken it down like you did. I'm going to sit down later and go through your post again while listening to it. I hope to catch Evacuation sometime. I also love the other Matt songs you mention. He adds a spice to the mix that I would miss.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    It was a pleasant surprise in Amsterdam - I think Ed said something about all of the bridges in the song and the city. It's also just fun to yell Evacu-aaaa-tion!!!
  • Options
    The only time I got to see it live... they quit one verse into it because of technical problems. They evacuated Evacuation.
  • Options
    adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    Not a big fan of 'Matt songs', except this one. Evacuation effin' RULES, such a great track. Fun to listen to, fun to play on guitar... this one just rocks hard.

Best moment of Touring Band 2000 is when Ed sings "...no time this time to feign reluctance..." and puts up the devil horns. Just love that part, awesome! Know what I'm sayin'?? Here, watch it, tell me you don't get pumped up... 0:56...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7fqUE3oApY&t=56
  • Options

Jeez I guess I'm in the minority too. I understand and appreciate intricate and unique time signatures but had never broken it down like you did. I'm going to sit down later and go through your post again while listening to it. I hope to catch Evacuation sometime. I also love the other Matt songs you mention. He adds a spice to the mix that I would miss.

Well, let me know what you think then.. I even wrote this down on pentagram, because I was having troubles in some parts (the first bridge specifically, the rest was quite fast to figure out)...
  • Options
    adusick said:

Not a big fan of 'Matt songs', except this one. Evacuation effin' RULES, such a great track. Fun to listen to, fun to play on guitar... this one just rocks hard.

Best moment of Touring Band 2000 is when Ed sings "...no time this time to feign reluctance..." and puts up the devil horns. Just love that part, awesome! Know what I'm sayin'?? Here, watch it, tell me you don't get pumped up... 0:56...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7fqUE3oApY&t=56

Pumped. I really have to watch that dvd again.mbeen a long time.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    Without doubt, one of the worst songs Pearl Jam has recorded or played live! You put it out there, that's my opinion. Like a nail driven in my earhole with a jackhammer. Love Matt all you want, this song suck's!
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    Terrible song. Easily one of their worst songs recorded for an album.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    mca47 said:

I don't know about that. The Fixer as well as half of the last two albums are worse. They can't all be winners. Although I can't really say any of the stuff is "bad", I've never written a song that's been heard by more than five people.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    smarchee said:

SS9981 said:

Without doubt, one of the worst songs Pearl Jam has recorded or played live! You put it out there, that's my opinion. Like a nail driven in my earhole with a jackhammer. ...this song suck's!

mca47 said:

Stop talking about Sirens, you guys! This thread is about Evacuation!! :tongue:
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,044
    edited March 2015
    I like Evacuation a lot. But I love me some Matt songs for the most part. He brings a little different style/element to the writing. I like different and experimental PJ. I think they do experimental stuff every bit as well as they do rock athems. I'd love to hear more stuff like Evacuation live too. I'll take it over The Fixer, Jeremy, Future Days or Sleeping by Myself every time. Especially if they rehearsed it a bit. I like most stuff PJ has put out over the years but for me it's songs like Evacuation that made me fall in love with their music.

(And yeah...LOVE that clip adusick posted)
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • Options
    SS9981 said:

Without doubt, one of the worst songs Pearl Jam has recorded or played live! You put it out there, that's my opinion. Like a nail driven in my earhole with a jackhammer. Love Matt all you want, this song suck's!

for the record, I don't know if anyone loves it just because it's a Matt song. I mean, I know Ed has a man-crush on Matt, but I don't think the rest of us do. LOL

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com