Options

F*R*I*E*N*D*S*

2»

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    anyone going to watch the "reunion" on HBO Max?
    I will take a month of "HBO Nordic" because of it tomorrow and watch it.

But seems people are underwhelmed.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    Went in with low expectations but we liked it. I guess I thought they were doing an actual episode in addition to the other stuff. So I kept waiting for that to start. lol...

I maintain that the show went downhill after Monica and Chandler became a known couple but the first 4 or 5 seasons were really good. So many classic scenes that I still laugh hard at to this day.

PIVOT!!!!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Also, Joey's the only cast member who's face has not been overhauled by botox. Courtney Cox looks like a different person almost. Kind of distracting...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    Also, Joey's the only cast member who's face has not been overhauled by botox. Courtney Cox looks like a different person almost. Kind of distracting...
    I know. but he got fat. lol. 

Chandler looks like he got a late-in-life cleft lip. did david schwimmer have work? i thought he just got older. Lisa Kudrow looked the same as she did 20 years ago. If that's plastic, that's literally the only plastic surgery I've ever seen look good. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PIVOT is probably the single greatest scene of that show. I die every time I see it. and of course, I predictably always use it when moving furniture. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Schwimmer definitely had work. His cheeks are all pulled up now. Kudrow did too but not as obvious as some of the others. Check the picture they posted of themselves a few years ago that kicked off the rumors of this reunion. I think Anniston had more work done since this pic too. I realize this is petty bullshit, but it always distracts me. Same deal with Cheryl from Curb Your Enthusiasm. She looks nothing like she did in the show's early years. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Also--like every other red blooded American, I had an enormous crush on Jennifer Anniston in the 90's. Oh man....But watching reruns now, I have a newfound affection for Lisa Kudrow. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Schwimmer definitely had work. His cheeks are all pulled up now. Kudrow did too but not as obvious as some of the others. Check the picture they posted of themselves a few years ago that kicked off the rumors of this reunion. I think Anniston had more work done since this pic too. I realize this is petty bullshit, but it always distracts me. Same deal with Cheryl from Curb Your Enthusiasm. She looks nothing like she did in the show's early years. 

its not petty. I find it distracting too. Courtney looks like a freakshow. and Aniston is getting there. I don't know why famous women still feel the need to do this. I mean, wouldn't you rather look old than the elephant man?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PIVOT is probably the single greatest scene of that show. I die every time I see it. and of course, I predictably always use it when moving furniture. 
     Yup. Me too. I anxiously await the opportunity to use that whenever furniture is deemed to be moved. Haha....I think we've actually discussed this before. Or maybe it was a Seinfeld phrase I'm thinking of. ..Jerk Store maybe?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,390
    Went in with low expectations but we liked it. I guess I thought they were doing an actual episode in addition to the other stuff. So I kept waiting for that to start. lol...

I maintain that the show went downhill after Monica and Chandler became a known couple but the first 4 or 5 seasons were really good. So many classic scenes that I still laugh hard at to this day.

PIVOT!!!!
    One of the few shows that navigated through a coupling without losing its appeal. Ross/Rachel dynamic was iconic. Monica/Chandler, not so much. I agree that was when the show declined. Not solely because of Monica/Chandler. The show pivoted. Went from twentysomethings struggling in NYC to thirtysomethings settling down (kids, marriage, blah, blah, blah). 
  • Options
    Hobbes said:

PIVOT!!!!
    One of the few shows that navigated through a coupling without losing its appeal. Ross/Rachel dynamic was iconic. Monica/Chandler, not so much. I agree that was when the show declined. Not solely because of Monica/Chandler. The show pivoted. Went from twentysomethings struggling in NYC to thirtysomethings settling down (kids, marriage, blah, blah, blah). 
    Yeah. Chandler was funnier as a single guy who struggled to get laid too...or young guy trapped in an annoying relationship like he had with Janice. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    100%
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
     Yup. Me too. I anxiously await the opportunity to use that whenever furniture is deemed to be moved. Haha....I think we've actually discussed this before. Or maybe it was a Seinfeld phrase I'm thinking of. ..Jerk Store maybe?
    maybe both. who knows. lol I do often use Jerk Store too. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    No, it was Moo. A moo point.

I just used that on a client a few minutes ago and light went off. hahaha  Sure we've talked about the other ones as well though. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    edited May 2021
    I don't see why Lisa Kudrow would have had any/much "work done"? When the TV lights and the TV-makeup aren't there she looks very natural. Wrinkles and all.

Courtney Cox has obviously done work (she is 56 or something). 

Jennifer too. But man, "Hi Anistoooon. Hi Piiiiitt" - JUST GET BACK TOGETHEEEER.

Matthew Perry looks to be slurring because of dentures (just like e.g. Joe Biden) but his whole posture has turned old-man-ish compared to just a few years ago. I wonder if something else has happened there. Or if his old lifestyle just hit him like a brick all of a sudden. There is a cameo-video he did in 2020 where he comes of very weird too. He also seems to be hawking non-official friends merch on his instagram...

Matt LeBlanc looks great. He had that grey hair already when filming the show. Would love to se a non-friends thing with him and Lisa Kudrow - both are so charming nowadays!

David Schwimmer is the GOAT of Friends. The funniest throughout the series and the only one that worked going from "the straight man" to being comedical crazy. The rest just turned more into parodies through the show. And Monica and Chandler together I remember finding boring back then (haven't rewatched the show since it originally aired). I think the only couple that should have gotten together in that show is Ross and Rachel.

Haven't watched the special yet. My mom thought it as a bad idea getting a month of HBO just for an interview so I watched that new Netflix movie with Amy Adams and Gary Oldman instead. Might cash out tonight and watch the Friends thing (the table read part should have been with a new script for a reunion episode though, or an unused script from back them - having them read new lines and giving the fans a tiny bit of new Friends-material without having the pressure of actually doing a new episode)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I've been watching on Hbo Max periodically. I'm in season 7 now. Back in the day I kind of gave up on the show after the 5th or 6th season so just wanted to see what I missed. I think I said it before but Chandler, to me, just kind of sucked after he got with Monica and he was the funniest character early on. I lost interest around when they got engaged. But the other storylines were still pretty good, it seems. The one I watched yesterday was where kids were having sex in the library in the paleontology section by Ross's book. lol. It was also the "Moo Point" episode. Fucking love that line. 

Any who, carry on...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ross was the only one who kept up his characters quality through the entire run - even got funnier the more manic Schwimmer played him. I don't remember now, but I guess Rachels character didn't lose to much through the series either. 

The more the rest sort of only became their "quirky" gimmick (Joey is dumb, Monica is a clean/control freak, Chandler is sarcastic) they turned to shit.
  • Options
    Ross was the only one who kept up his characters quality through the entire run - even got funnier the more manic Schwimmer played him. I don't remember now, but I guess Rachels character didn't lose to much through the series either. 

The more the rest sort of only became their "quirky" gimmick (Joey is dumb, Monica is a clean/control freak, Chandler is sarcastic) they turned to shit.
    Yes, I agree.

As I wrote back in May:

David Schwimmer is the GOAT of Friends. The funniest throughout the series and the only one that worked going from "the straight man" to being comedical crazy. The rest just turned more into parodies through the show. And Monica and Chandler together I remember finding boring back then (haven't rewatched the show since it originally aired). I think the only couple that should have gotten together in that show is Ross and Rachel.

• Options
    I agree with Ross being the best and Monica and Chandler being boring after they got together (all they did was sit in their apartment and comment on the other storylines mostly). Phoebe was still funny....though I suspect she got less so as the show moved on and, I think, she got engaged? 

Joey was always funny to me. 

In general the characters were at their best when they were single, Chandler especially. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I agree with Ross being the best and Monica and Chandler being boring after they got together (all they did was sit in their apartment and comment on the other storylines mostly). Phoebe was still funny....though I suspect she got less so as the show moved on and, I think, she got engaged? 

Joey was always funny to me. 

In general the characters were at their best when they were single, Chandler especially. 
    100%. the Joey/Rachel angle was awful. cringeworthy. Chandler was my favourite before he and monica got together, and Ross became the best I think after that. Monica just became a caricature of herself. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I'm continuing to wade through the later seasons and I am not sure why. These Monica and Chandler storylines are boring garbage. I skipped over the wedding episode. Now I come to find out that Rachel is pregnant?! Goodness! A whole episode dedicated to whether or not she'll tell the father! I think it's Ross, right? Who the fuck cares at this point? 

Skinny single Chandler > Fat married Chandler. 
    chinese-happy.jpg