Disc golfers?

Any disc golfers around?

Comments

• Yeah, but the closest course to me is lost an hour away.
  • Rival178Rival178 Posts: 608
    An hour? Where do you live? What kind of Disc do you throw?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Yup.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    not currently, but they just built a new course about 15mins from my house, so I think i might have to try it out. Now if I could only get my hands on that disc that they sold in the shop a few yrs back: image

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/187400/emek-golf-disc-on-sale
    aqo2t.jpg
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    We have a course about 15 minutes away. Was thinking about getting into it with my daughter this summer.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Rival178 said:

I live in Colorado Springs. Closest courses are in Littleton, and Denver. And being that I'm saving for school this fall, no extra curricular trips are in sight for me! :-(. But I really want one of those collapsible baskets! As for the discs I throw, I love Innova. So far that's all I havem. But I am wanting to eventually broaden those horizons. But for now, my Innovas work. Which do you prefer?
  • deadendp said:

We have a course about 15 minutes away. Was thinking about getting into it with my daughter this summer.

You really should try this Amy! It's really fun, individually paced, great exercise, and just lots of fun all round!
  • No pun intended!
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

No pun intended!

A great pun nonetheless! =)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • It really was! Lol

Rival178 said:

I live in Colorado Springs. Closest courses are in Littleton, and Denver. And being that I'm saving for school this fall, no extra curricular trips are in sight for me! :-(. But I really want one of those collapsible baskets! As for the discs I throw, I love Innova. So far that's all I havem. But I am wanting to eventually broaden those horizons. But for now, my Innovas work. Which do you prefer?
    I've been trying to stay away from innova, and only use their roc3. I've been trying some westside disc and dynamic disc, along with Latitude 64. Seems like most people around here play with innova, so I'm just trying to be different I guess. haha.
  • Lol I haven't really tried much else. I started six years ago while trying to socialize a Mastiff that we had in residence at our rescue. We needed people and dogs to be 'there' but sparsely spread out.. It worked great! And I learned a new sport! So for my birthday that year k got a driver putter set, and I have played when I can ever since! But I really do want to try other Discs. But really Innova is great! ( at least so far!)
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I played it a couple times here and there. My friends live by Elysian park and it has a crazy fucken course. Fucked up and gave me shin splints last time hahaha
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    edited March 2015
    There's a 19 hole course here in West Palm Beach FL about 5 miles from me. I played it a couple times with my daughter, we had lots of fun and found several discs at a couple of the lake holes. I think the park is called Okeeheelee Park.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Anybody got overhand throwing tips?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • I disc 4-5 times a week. There's quite a few courses within 30 minutes of me.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • RKCNDY said:

do it rarely is the best tip I have.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011

RKCNDY said:

But at the course I go to, some of the baskets are in such funky places, overhand would be helpful.

- Christopher McCandless
    I have no experience with the overhand throw, still trying to get my backhand throw.
  • Used to love to do this when in college. Load the disc bag up with a flask and a one hitter...umm for our tobacco - and walk around in nature for a few hours. Bet there are a lot more courses 20 years later. There were 3-4 in SoCal that we would play at. $2 a round, couldn't beat it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

Used to love to do this when in college. Load the disc bag up with a flask and a one hitter...umm for our tobacco - and walk around in nature for a few hours. Bet there are a lot more courses 20 years later. There were 3-4 in SoCal that we would play at. $2 a round, couldn't beat it!

Eldorado Park and Elysian Park?
  • badbrains said:

Used to love to do this when in college. Load the disc bag up with a flask and a one hitter...umm for our tobacco - and walk around in nature for a few hours. Bet there are a lot more courses 20 years later. There were 3-4 in SoCal that we would play at. $2 a round, couldn't beat it!

HB was the main one (I was living in the LBC for the summer that year), Eldorado, and La Mirada maybe? Think it was in La Mirada.
  • RKCNDY said:

I've found that if you hang the disc off your index through ring finger of the throwing hand, over the shoulder, as you extend, grip the edge of the disc, and on the forward thrust, snap your wrist in to the direction you want the disc to go, and immediately release. It seems to give it good distance for the driver, and precise angle for the putter. Let me know how that works! I wish I could find a video of this technique.. Let me google, cause I was taught this by Todd Winters, an international DG player from KC. We used to clean his house up there.
  • RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

But at the course I go to, some of the baskets are in such funky places, overhand would be helpful.
    Here's s trick for a tomahawk throw, or a thumber.. This is great! And I'll post the link to the Grenade shot too!! God now I want to go play!!
    http://youtu.be/-kwhbFGNst8
    http://youtu.be/hoAXp4liWxU
    Hope these help!

badbrains said:

HB was the main one (I was living in the LBC for the summer that year), Eldorado, and La Mirada maybe? Think it was in La Mirada.
    Miles square Park?

RKCNDY said:

I've found that if you hang the disc off your index through ring finger of the throwing hand, over the shoulder, as you extend, grip the edge of the disc, and on the forward thrust, snap your wrist in to the direction you want the disc to go, and immediately release. It seems to give it good distance for the driver, and precise angle for the putter. Let me know how that works! I wish I could find a video of this technique.. Let me google, cause I was taught this by Todd Winters, an international DG player from KC. We used to clean his house up there.
    thanks for the videos WH! When it's nicer, I'll go practice...

you have to pay to play? image

- Christopher McCandless
  • badbrains said:

badbrains said:

Miles square Park?
    Mmm, dont recall. I thought it was just called La Mirada park. I smoked to much 'tobacco' back then, dont recall as much as I should. :)
  • RKCNDY said:

For that course you did, I am positive. Not recalling about the others.
    We did play for $2-$3 and then went to happy hour at the Belmont Brewing Company for $1 drafts and $1 tacos. Seriously I would stab someone (myself) to be 21 again and doing this shit all summer. What a life!

RKCNDY said:

For that course you did, I am positive. Not recalling about the others.
    We did play for $2-$3 and then went to happy hour at the Belmont Brewing Company for $1 drafts and $1 tacos. Seriously I would stab someone (myself) to be 21 again and doing this shit all summer. What a life!
    I've never paid to play any of the courses out here.
    This is where I play:

I skip #9 right now...either I have good distance and bad aim, or bad distance and good aim. That map is really old, they have 21 baskets now. Really well maintained course.

- Christopher McCandless